• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Still loving my GMT

predfan2001

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/9/07
Still wearing my GMT almost every day. This was my first rep and remains a favorite. I liked this $99 rep so much, I bought a gen band to put on it. The band cost more than the watch :lol: . It feels just like a gen and it looks great. I did have to drill new lugholes the install the band but it was worth it.

S6300279.jpg

horologie_unitas

Put Some Respect On My Name
3/12/06
if it works..... i would say one of the best replicas for the money on the market.
i remember i tried to get one from WBK back then for month.....no way !! sold out !
still.....a very hot watch !

crick

1/8/06
no kidding? drilled holes? how you managed that? i tried to enlarge some holes one time but getting that drill bit there was IMPOSSIBLE.

nice! now you need a gen dial for it and have someone lume the hands (cuz gen hands wont fit on the asian movement).

predfan2001

14/9/07
by crick on Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:40 pm

no kidding? drilled holes? how you managed that? i tried to enlarge some holes one time but getting that drill bit there was IMPOSSIBLE.

nice! now you need a gen dial for it and have someone lume the hands (cuz gen hands wont fit on the asian movement).

Just takes patients. I bought a bunch of cobalt bits off of eBay and just held a drill at an angle. One tip though, you'll never get a bit to start where you want it to and you'll damage the case using a punch. Use a diamond tip etching bit in a Dremel to "engrave" a pilot point.

TA8088

SCAMMER
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
INMATE
28/10/07
Nice! I've always liked this one.

Swatchman

27/12/06
I got the ultimate version with AR-Coating. That really rocks. The
bracelet sucks though. Especially the clasp looks like crap and the
diver extension comes out everytime you open the clasp. Still a
stunning piece...

Bearcat

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
1/10/06
predfan2001 said:
Still wearing my GMT almost every day. This was my first rep and remains a favorite. I liked this $99 rep so much, I bought a gen band to put on it. The band cost more than the watch :lol: . It feels just like a gen and it looks great. I did have to drill new lugholes the install the band but it was worth it.

S6300279.jpg

Very nice watch and nice upgrade to the gen band.

Now add a gen dial and hands and you'll be set for life.

--doc

predfan2001

14/9/07
Bearcat, what are the differences in the rep dial and a gen. I haven't had mine next the a gen but it looks ok to me. May the waves are more pronounced on the gen? I had a gen SMP a few years back and thought it was the best feeling watch I ever had on my wrist. That's why I bought the GMT, it's a great size, slightly larger than a Sub and not as heavy feeling as a UPO.

Here's some more about the band upgrade. I found an original GMT band on eBay, but the buy now was too high for me. It didn't sell so I offered $120.00 and he took it. The clasp on the band was the cheesy liitle single lock with the gold Omega logo and the band was too short. I had a nice (engraved not etched) SMP rep clasp so I swapped it for the original clasp and by doing so, I had to remove a few links in sizing. I also had a set of rep end links that matched the gen band better than the gen endlinks so I installed them. After redrilling the lugholes and installing the band, I had the gen GMT clasp, 3 links and 2 end links left over. I put them back on eBay and sold them for $90.00. That worked out great!

P1010004-5.jpg

fr2.jpg

pacs man

Known Member
22/4/07
predfan2001 said:
Bearcat, what are the differences in the rep dial and a gen. I haven't had mine next the a gen but it looks ok to me. May the waves are more pronounced on the gen? I had a gen SMP a few years back and thought it was the best feeling watch I ever had on my wrist. That's why I bought the GMT, it's a great size, slightly larger than a Sub and not as heavy feeling as a UPO.

Here's some more about the band upgrade. I found an original GMT band on eBay, but the buy now was too high for me. It didn't sell so I offered $120.00 and he took it. The clasp on the band was the cheesy liitle single lock with the gold Omega logo and the band was too short. I had a nice (engraved not etched) SMP rep clasp so I swapped it for the original clasp and by doing so, I had to remove a few links in sizing. I also had a set of rep end links that matched the gen band better than the gen endlinks so I installed them. After redrilling the lugholes and installing the band, I had the gen GMT clasp, 3 links and 2 end links left over. I put them back on eBay and sold them for $90.00. That worked out great!

P1010004-5.jpg

fr2.jpg

It does look good but there are differences. All of the fonts are too bold and also the white border of the date window is too thick. The hands are too short. On the gen the minute, gmt and second hands extend almost to the rehaut. The "cheesy" clasp that you resold is original equipment on the GMT.
These are all little things and overall it's a great rep, though.

jb

Advisor
7/9/06
predfan2001 said:
Bearcat, what are the differences in the rep dial and a gen. I haven't had mine next the a gen but it looks ok to me.

Here's some more about the band upgrade. I found an original GMT band on eBay, but the buy now was too high for me. It didn't sell so I offered $120.00 and he took it.

It's not so much the look of the dail. Omega has some of the coolest looking lume in the gen market. Because of the domed shape of the lume, it has depth when it is lit, which looks extremely cool in person.

The hands on the reps are notoriously short. You will see it right away if you compare it with a picture of the gen. Not only will you get the correct length by using installing gen hands, but the lume will mathc the gen dial.

As far as the "bracelet" goes, you got an excellent deal at $120. Modern Omega bracelets are $500 new from Ofrei.

This is my gen SMP. Notice how the minute hand extends to the end of the markers and the hours hand extends to the bottom?

IMG_5630.jpg

jb

Advisor
7/9/06
carnut said:
I loved mine also... till it quit.

Is that one of WBK's? It has the proper hand length. Aldo, did it come with the PO bracelet, or did you put it on there?

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Totally agree with JB on genuine Omega's lume on SMP/PO. They are really among the brightest. Yup, looks like it has a PO bracelet :) It's not a 100% perfect fit but it's OK. As long as you like it.