• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Stem for ETA 2824 PO

TheExit148

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/1/11
So I'm going to attempt the crown and tube swap to gen, and am looking to get a new stem, since most of what I've read says its best to get a new one. Now I found this on ebay in Canada (where I am) and am wondering it will work out fine.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/ETA-calibre-2824-helicoidal-type-winding-stem-/280638303919?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item415758aeaf

Just want to make sure it's good to go before I purchase. Any info is appreciated.

On a side note, I ordered the crown and tube from cousinsuk. It was $28 CDN shipped for both, much cheaper than Ofrei's if anyone is wondering. It arrived in under a week too.

rol_man

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
25/7/08
Should work just fine. More than likely you will have to trim the thread end to the proper length in order to thread the crown into the tube. Do this cautiously and trim a small bit at a time until it fits properly.

TheExit148

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/1/11
Thanks for the info. I assume any type of wire cutter should be ok to trim it with? Is there a specific 42mm PO tutorial on replacing the crown and tube? I can't seem to find one.

Robbo73

27/5/11
Sand paper/file will do it so long as it doesn't leave a burr which causes a problem with the thread. I'd take the length down in .1mm at a time and keep trying for size.

As for tube removal, I did mine from the inside out by punching it out (jewelers hammer and a link removal punch will do it). Done gently, it can be reused. If you pull out with pliers you can ruin the thread.

Putting a gen tube into a rep will be a challenge depending on which rep. For the 5GPO for example, I think Q5? mentioned the rep tube is larger than gen and the mod requires filling the case hole then drilling smaller for the gen tube.