• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

"stain" on my AP safari: how to clean

cayman909

Known Member
21/2/13
hi guys,

just wanted to seek some advice on my newly arrived watch. On my QC photos which Toro sent me, I noticed a blemish between 12 and 1 o'clock. He told me that it was a fingerprint stain and that I should not worry.

Its still there after I cleaned the watch and I don't think I am imagining things. Here are the QC photos.

file_zpsbe497e05.jpg

and here is what I have now

file_zps012c1c87.jpg

Is this blemish amenable to removable? I have just used a light polish cloth to clean but should I be using a chrome polish? it looks like a metal abrasion more than a stain, which means I need to have to re polished? Watch will be going for a full service anyway. Can the watch smiths address this?

thanks

Niek

7/9/12
Don't use chrome polish you will change a larger surface than your stain to polished instead of brushed. Any watchsmith can rebrush it for you, or it's not a real watchsmith.

Niek

7/9/12
Try soap&water first but don't immerse the watch in water, use a soapy cloth.

kindred666

12/3/12
Hi, you can try to use a sunshine brand polishing cloth or use a car polishing wax and clean over with mircofibre cloth. Alternatively, check with Goin if he can do anything about it, worst case scenario check with him if he has a spare bezel or order a new one sent to him and have it changed.

cayman909

Known Member
21/2/13
thanks guys

Have contacted Goin on my Diver but yeah, will probably have to send him this one as well. He also needs to tune the alignment of the seconds hands and stop watch hands which are not directly aligned at 12 oclock. Just a tad off. Actually I had asked for photos of the needles at reset but again was reassured so I gave the ok to ship the watches as I chose to trust the TD.

frankly, I'm a little disappointed at the QC but I can't blame anyone but myself. i guess I should have insisted on the photos. The watch is great otherwise as a rep. I don't know if these are common occurrences with AP watches (blemishes, imperfect zero alignment) or am I too fussy? I don't have any issues with my PAMs from other sources.

Yeah, I know reps are reps, if I wanted perfect, I would have bought a gen. oh well, we all learn and get wiser. love the look of the watch with the diver strap and can't wait to try on my Donnerix ones which are coming soon in the post :cheese: