• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Speedmaster Reduced question

Anubis

I'm Pretty Popular
31/10/06
Hello peeps!

I've got a simple question. What is the lug size on a Speedmaster Reduced?
I'm on the verge of buying either a gen PO or a gen Speedmaster Reduced. I need a push. Both auto,

cons and pros?
Thank you guys...

andreww

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/06
My guess is that the lugs are either 20mm, but most likely 18mm. The reduced version is pretty small compared with today's watches. I'd go with the full size. Reduced looks like a ladies watch to me.

jiro

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
10/12/06
what's the case size of the "reduced" version?

i remember seeing by-tor's review and it didn't look that small.... :?

andreww

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/06
jiro said:
what's the case size of the "reduced" version?

i remember seeing by-tor's review and it didn't look that small.... :?

35.5mm diameter case

Anubis

I'm Pretty Popular
31/10/06
Full size is mechanical... reduced is auto...

Steping away from mech movements....

jiro

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
10/12/06
andreww said:
35.5mm diameter case
:shock: wow...that is small....

i would say to go with moon watch but if reduced version is that small....no

go with the full size moon watch if you can?

po's nice but too common......

Anubis

I'm Pretty Popular
31/10/06
jiro said:
po's nice but too common......
That was exactly my prob with the PO.
I've pined after the moonwatch for a VERY long time and the reduced one seem the best of both worlds...auto and a moonwatch. The only thing that the Po has going is the size and the date. so I am at a cross roads. plus that I can get the moon watch at about $1000 less than the PO (no small feat) but I can't stand steel bracelets, thus the lug size question.

:? :? :?

HiDef

You're Saying I Can Sell?
16/10/06
Anubis said:

The reduced version of the moonwatch is 37MM including the crown and is also using a mechanical automatic movement Omega dub as cal.3220 which is the ETA 2892.

jiro

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
10/12/06
found some interesting article about Reduced vs Full size Moonwatch.

http://home.xnet.com/~cmaddox/speedy_reduced.html

Here's some quotes from that article comparing two.

-Reduced Moonwatch-
"The Reduced is an decent watch, perhaps even a good watch and for some people it is the right choice. But it's not a moonwatch. As for the price difference, I'm not sure why the auto is priced less, other than it probably cost Omega less money to obtain a ETA movement than a Lemania movement, at least until recently... Now that Lemania is part of the Swatch Group (along with ETA and Omega) this may change. It also is smaller in size but only modestly so. "

-Full Size Moonwatch-
"The Moonwatch is a classic and has been, is and seemingly always will be in demand. The TimeZone Omega Forum has been around for nearly four years now and we typically have several new Moonwatch owners post that they just got their first Moonwatch nearly every week. High demand means higher resale value. As for the reduced you can typically find several being offered at anytime on secondary market and they typically go for less than $1,000 in mint shape."

man.....more i think about it.....harder it gets! :lol:

good luck anubis!!! Looks like you got a tough choice to make :wink:

Anubis

I'm Pretty Popular
31/10/06
Well, since I already have a 007 PO albeit a rep, that particular itch has been scratched. So.....I'll have to make another trip to the AD it seems. FRAKK THIS IS DIFFICULT!
I believe this is called "option paralysis"....
:?

jiro

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
10/12/06
hahaha good luck my friend~ :lol:

let me ask you this though....since i'm on a hunt for the moonwatch as well....and of course a rep.

is the rep verion of moonwatch a reduced version? or full size???

by-tor said his review is based on the "reduced" version but someone else pointed that it's not....

there are too many different variation in moonwatch category.....quite confusing.... :? :?:

Anubis

I'm Pretty Popular
31/10/06
And you just hit on the elephant of my rep problems. The speeedmaster rep got me so FRAKKING confused and pissed off that pushed me towards a gen. that is why I just cleared out the bulk of my collection...to fund this purchase.

jiro

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
10/12/06
oh man.....that doesn't sound good..... :shock:

............does that mean.......i will end up going broke?......damn i better end this damn addiction........before it gets too late.....

ThumbModds

I'm Pretty Popular
29/8/06
Anubis said:

both are mechanical. just full size is hand wind not auto.

ThumbModds

I'm Pretty Popular
29/8/06
jiro said:
hahaha good luck my friend~ :lol:

let me ask you this though....since i'm on a hunt for the moonwatch as well....and of course a rep.

is the rep verion of moonwatch a reduced version? or full size???

by-tor said his review is based on the "reduced" version but someone else pointed that it's not....

there are too many different variation in moonwatch category.....quite confusing.... :? :?:

there is a full sized and a reduced size rep, the easist way to tell is by the crown, on the full sized the crown sits down inside the case and on the reduced the crown sits close to outside the case.

good luck finding either unless they are used.

and then if you find one you will almost never find one with a domed crystal.

crick

Put Some Respect On My Name
1/8/06
The full size = 40mm, but is a lot more expensive than the reduced. The reduced markets at 1800 retail, so the price is really tempting. I get mixed result on sizes if you google it - some say 35 some say 38. I can say it's definitely doesnt feel like 35 when i had it on my wrist?

Felt more like a 38. I had always thought the lugsize to be 20 on the reduced? :( maybe it is 18?

But since you're running off to the AD anyways, it's whatever looks good on your wrist Nubi!.

The reduced is nice, affordable, and eye-catching. for 2200 you can get the speedmaster with date.

justbrands_1948_353313258.jpg

to answer everyone else's question, the biggest telltale sign of reduced vs full size in the rep world is the hour markers. Reduced one has numbered markers and sharper recessed subdialing. ***the case size doesnt rep the real world case sized for the reduced... it's definitely bigger still than the gen reduced***.

Here's a pic for comparison!

reduced
speed01.jpg

full size:
OMG0036.JPG

some things to note: hour markers numbered on reduced, the word Tachymetre on reduced is missing the accent, the subdialing on reduced is more recessed, the crown sits on the surface of the case, not sunk.

NOW, my two cents:

if you want the moonwatch for its historical value, can't beat the fullsize one. It's the one with the manual movement and represents the watch that shot up to the moon. The reduced was just an accomodation for the smaller wristed folk - i dont think it holds as much weight in terms of historical value against the fullsize one. Better storytelling piece is the fullsize one.

If its the PO vs the Reduced, i would get the PO; higher quality with a co-axial movement. I dont use the chrono much.

The chrono features really wear off after a while :( but if its a chrono you want at an affordable gen price, the reduced is teh way to go. Historical value, then fullsize moonie, otherwise the PO because its a great watch and i'm pre-biased :p

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
With either choice; I would suggest settling for second hand mint condition. Omega really depreciates on second hand market. You tend to get better bargain :p

Titanium Seamaster Pro. Like it better than the PO (thinner, classier, lighther than the PO).

dscn5600tv6.jpg

dscn5988fi8.jpg

crick

Put Some Respect On My Name
1/8/06
speaking of which, i pulled into an AD and tried on an SMP and loved the weight and size. made me think again about my PO purchase...

but NO! must think my PO purchase #1 :)

Tak's right though, 2nd hand Omega's depreciate a lot in value, but after that, their 2nd hand price is pretty much solid, so if you go 2nd hand, you wont loose money when or if you sell it off again