• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Speedmaster Moonwatch confusion... some questions

Rubi

Known Member
21/10/10
Hey guys,

I'm lost in the speedmaster model-jungle:

• Whats the diameter of the gen (bezel)?
  • Are all hand winding reps 39mm versions and the automatic ones 42mm?
  • Has there ever been a gen 39mm version of the moonwatch?
  • Where can I get a moonwatch with the domed glass, all reps seem to be flat?
Now some more general questions, that might be better in the tech-section (might post there again).

• How do I remove or exchange the glass on a Moony?
  • How do I remove the stem, when trying to remove the movement?
  • How do I kill the 6-o-clock-hand on a Lemania?
Do you guys know any good tutorials on the topics?

Thanks!

Five of Clubs

Renowned Member
18/2/10
Hey guys,

I'm lost in the speedmaster model-jungle:

• Whats the diameter of the gen (bezel)?
  • Are all hand winding reps 39mm versions and the automatic ones 42mm?
  • Has there ever been a gen 39mm version of the moonwatch?
  • Where can I get a moonwatch with the domed glass, all reps seem to be flat?
Now some more general questions, that might be better in the tech-section (might post there again).

• How do I remove or exchange the glass on a Moony?
  • How do I remove the stem, when trying to remove the movement?
  • How do I kill the 6-o-clock-hand on a Lemania?
Do you guys know any good tutorials on the topics?

Thanks!

That's a lot of friggin questions! Regarding the top half, I have owned both an inexpensive 21J auto rep and I have the better hand wind rep now (no gen yet). Both watches are the same size. I think if you measure the bezel you get 39mm, but the case is 42mm. I guess what I'm saying is the watch certainly wears larger than 39mm, and even larger than a 40mm GMT Master I had. The inexpensive quartz and 21J models come with a high dome crystal, but it is mineral and not plexi as per gen. The handwind Lemania/Seagull 19 watches come with the low dome (nearly flat) sapphire.

To remove the glass, remove the case back and movement then push the crystal out from the inside. Or, you can do like I did and put your coat on quickly and see your crystal hit the floor. To remove the stem and freeze the subdial at 6, please reference this tutorial (LINK).

Rubi

Known Member
21/10/10
That's a lot of friggin questions! Regarding the top half, I have owned both an inexpensive 21J auto rep and I have the better hand wind rep now (no gen yet). Both watches are the same size. I think if you measure the bezel you get 39mm, but the case is 42mm. I guess what I'm saying is the watch certainly wears larger than 39mm, and even larger than a 40mm GMT Master I had. The inexpensive quartz and 21J models come with a high dome crystal, but it is mineral and not plexi as per gen. The handwind Lemania/Seagull 19 watches come with the low dome (nearly flat) sapphire.

To remove the glass, remove the case back and movement then push the crystal out from the inside. Or, you can do like I did and put your coat on quickly and see your crystal hit the floor. To remove the stem and freeze the subdial at 6, please reference this tutorial (LINK).

Thanks mate, that answered most of my questions :)