• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Speedmaster dream dented

sentosa

Horology Curious
24/11/10
Well.
I purchassed a Speedmaster moon watch 8 weeks ago and fell in love with it.
I regulated it and it was running within 2 seconds a day , I had read good reviewds on the seagull movement. However all came to a suddent stop.

When on holiday i wound the watch and had only turned the crown 2 times when the watch movement seemed to explode. It made the most metal crunching sould and vibration. The crown lost all drive and the watch stopped and died in my hands.

I was in nearly crying and my wife, well just dont go their.

Now as you probably already know either the main spring fractured or the drive system running from it let go. Now my Question is this.

Has this happened before and was it just bad luck 1 in a thausand problem.

It has been returned to china for replacement or repair.

Your views please

dmacnz

27/9/10
Is a rare case I would think. That seagull movement is normally bullet proof.

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
Never heard of this happening to an St-19 manual wind...But of course, anything can happen when your watch is assembled in a basement by a 12 yr old girl...
The St-19 it's well known to be the best rep chrono movement ever.
Hell, it's better than a lot of gen movements. Hope your issue gets resolved, and you get your watch back in working order.

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
Never heard of this before. Perhaps you are working out a bit too hard lately? ;-)
Contact the dealer, but 8 weeks is right on the cusp. You may or may not get assistance.
Perhaps they will sell you a discounted movement and you can do the swap here? (faster and more assurance of proper job).
Or, you could watch eBay for a vintage hand-windwatch and swap in an older gen movement. (of course this would take some time and research.

I wish you the best whatever the outcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KenD

Known Member
30/4/10
United States
I have two of these. One I've had for three years now.
The other about a year.
The ST-1904 by far the smoothest, most reliable movement in any rep I've every owned.
Winds smooth, runs great, keeps great time, looks spectacular.

I think you got an exception to the rule.

honeybear

I'm Pretty Popular
11/8/10
This is indeed unusual. I did recently have an issue with my Alpha Paul Newman Daytona homage with a ST19 movement, in that it was running too fast, but I sent it back to Alpha HK watches for repair, and came back within a month.

The ST19 is a column wheel chronograph, which has an exceptionally smooth chrono button operation, and is usually rock solid and really a tremendous value for a mechanical chronograph movement.

tracyl

22/4/11
I have one too, and it was rock solid until I removed to the movement to replace the crown and dropped it. I bent one of the chrono wheels and the post broke. But even so, the watch still runs perfectly, just can't use the chrono. So I'm thinking of just buying another movement from CousinsUK and having my watchmaker do a swap for me. They are $138 plus shipping. When you look at the cost of these movements, you know it is not a cheap movement. For example, you can buy a Seiko 7S26 for around $70, and these movements go in watches ranging from $100 to $300. Look at most of the 21j(DG2813) movements, and they are only $21 to replace and they go in watches that are around $150-$200. So have a $138 movement in a $275 watch is an incredible deal, and the watch really does perform better than I've ever seen. You really got unlucky on that! But if you ever have a problem again(I doubt you will) you can also pay someone to just swap the movement. Good luck!

sentosa

Horology Curious
24/11/10
Hi. ive luckely purchassed my watch from a very fine fellow ex china that was recomended to me by your forum. He was on holiday but has now emailed me and has replaced the watch no questions asked . Ill report back as soon as i recieve it in a few days.

Ephry73

I'm Pretty Popular
10/6/11
How did this go? Did you return the dead one? Pictures? Sell the dead one?

E