• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Some Recent Military Rifles

donaldejose

I'm Pretty Popular
20/12/08
The first up is the Chinese SKS mounted in a sporter stock with scope.
Shoots fine for work from 50 to 100 yards but still has that terrible SKS trigger pull.
Anybody know of any fixes for the SKS trigger?
I hate shooting it because of the rough trigger.

The first photo is sized to be seen on your screen.
You will need to scroll to see all of the second photo but is shows more detail for those who are interested.

DSC_0650.JPG

DSC_0651.JPG

The second up is the famous "Cold War"/ Vietnam Russian AK-47.
More recently it has become the rifle of choice for all sorts of third world trouble makers.
Apparently, it is easy to obtain, relatively inexpensive, easy to maintain and very reliable.
I personally think it looks very cheap but not as cheap as an SKS (especially an SKS in it original wood stock).
But it is growing on me because I am so tired of all black.
This one is a Norinco chambered in 223.
Trigger is much better than the SKS. Really usable and easy to hit person size target 50 to 100 yards.
Probably could shoot 200 yards with some accuracy but have not tried to do it.
The scope helps and the leather stock wrap helps align the eye with the scope.

DSC_0652.JPG

DSC_0653.JPG

Next in line is the AR-15 carbine. It is similar to the M-4 used in Iraq.
Most people who have shot my rifles in this thread have liked the AR-15 carbine the best.
i have a 22 upper (not shown) which converts it to shoot 22LR and a heavy barrel upper (not shown) which shoots one half minute of angle (1/2 inch groups at 100 yards).
So this is a very versatile platform.

DSC_0654.JPG

DSC_0655.JPG

Next up is the AR-15 rifle outfitted with scope and raised check rest. This was represented to me as being "pre-ban" but after receiving it I don't believe it is because it is missing the bayonet mount.

DSC_0659.JPG

DSC_0658.JPG

Next, something rather rare: a Knight's SR-25. Knight's Armament made special order rifles for special military service.
They took Eugene Stoner's M-16 design (which originally was produced in 308 but had been scaled down to 223) and Knight' either "scaled it back up" or produced it in the "original dimensions" to chamber the 308 cartridge.
When these were first produced they were very, very rare. Now days lots of companies produce an AR-15 style rifle scaled up and chambered for 308.
Today you can buy essentially the same thing for about one fourth the price of the SR-25.

DSC_0660(2).JPG

DSC_0661.JPG

Finally, a sniper rifle.
This is a Remington Heavy Barrel model in 308 mounted in a stock designed by Col. Plaster (author of "The Ultimate Sniper") topped by a Super Sniper 10 power scope (this scope was produced for the Navy SEAL Snipers).
This rifle easily shoots one half inch groups (1/2 inch at 100 yards).
I can shoot an apple off a post at 200 yards. Head shots at 200 years are easy.
Military snipers try never to shoot at less than 600 yards.
I would never have the skill to do that but I believe this rifle/stock/scope combo is up to that task. The weak link is my skill.

DSC_0663.JPG

DSC_0664.JPG

I hope this thread is of interest to some RWI members. I will be out on travel in a day or so and be out of communication until the end of the month so I will be unable to answer any questions until early May.

Hogan

Renowned Member
26/1/09
Makes me wanna go dig out my SKS!!! Got one 20 years ago, shipped with the bayonet attached!!!

Great pics as usual!

donaldejose

I'm Pretty Popular
20/12/08
Yes, you can get some nice stocks for an AK-47 now and maybe for an SKS too? When I converted mine only SKS sporter stocks were available. I took the bayonet off and made a nice pike out it by mounting it on a pole. Anybody recently put more modern stocks on an SKS?

Hogan

Renowned Member
26/1/09
I got lucky! Mine was un-issued and the stock is in great condition!!

Anopsis

I'm Pretty Popular
5/8/09
Yes, you can get some nice stocks for an AK-47 now and maybe for an SKS too? When I converted mine only SKS sporter stocks were available. I took the bayonet off and made a nice pike out it by mounting it on a pole. Anybody recently put more modern stocks on an SKS?

ATI makes sporter stocks for it, but I'd go for TAPCO's set:

stk66166b.jpg

danyboy

Known Member
12/8/09
Knight's Armament sr-25 = pure awesomenesssss :D (maybe add a free float RAS on it?)

donaldejose

I'm Pretty Popular
20/12/08
Knight's SR-25

Anybody have one? Knight's says to shoot only Federal Match ammo. But that is so expensive. Anyone find any alternative that works as well? No sense spending more money than necessary to just punch holes in paper.

donaldejose

I'm Pretty Popular
20/12/08
Nice SAR!

I don't have any bullpup design rifles and would like to get one. It seems to me they could be quite handy.

Anyone know of a bullpup conversion for a Ruger 10-22? Seems that would be a less expensive way to try out bullpup design.

kendog870

30/6/09
The Norinco SKS i used to have was a pretty decent rifle. It would eject the casings about 40 feet. I would hate to be in a foxhole next to that firing rifle. I also used to have the pre-ban colt government carbine with telescoping stock. And a beautiful M1 Garand with a new walnut stock and leather sling. That rifle could have been marched in a parade!!! But i sold them for honeymoon money :( gotta do what ya gotta do. But i still have my German k98 mauser, which is in good shape. And i have two russian nagant rifles. The 98/59 i made into my hunting rifle (although ive never been hunting, lol) And the other im going to turn into a scout rifle. Really nice shooting rifles. I also used to have an M1 carbine, but i traded it for a winchester 30/30 which i gave to my dad. I did have a nice WW2 rifle collection but not anymore

donaldejose

I'm Pretty Popular
20/12/08
Bet you get a lot more pleasure from your wife than you every got from those rifles you sold. Good trade there!

kendog870

30/6/09
Bet you get a lot more pleasure from your wife than you every got from those rifles you sold. Good trade there!

You are rite, i dont regret selling them. Heck sometimes i feel i have them back when she starts shooting off at the mouth! Lol im jk.....

Autococker07

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/6/10
Sure, buy a press and handload

A good single stage press and a couple hundred rounds to experiment and that SR-25 will shoot GOOD... (better than you think)

I pined over one of these in late 02/early 03 while doing the iraq pt2 thing... they were too much bread then $7500... I would just get an M107 for that kind of change... have they offered a production model since then that got the price down? I know you can pick up a .308 AR for about 1000, i may have to consider If I could get an sr25 for 3-4k.... :D as a retirement gift to myself LOL....

Anybody have one? Knight's says to shoot only Federal Match ammo. But that is so expensive. Anyone find any alternative that works as well? No sense spending more money than necessary to just punch holes in paper.

donaldejose

I'm Pretty Popular
20/12/08
Autococker07: Did you ever have sticky ejection problems with the SR-25? Mine seems to fail to extract the cartridge. Comes part way out and jams but doesn't fully eject. Any suggestions to fix that issue?