• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

So much for the Sapphire.

Seifert

Renowned Member
11/8/09
Well, i've had a watch with sapphire crystal for several years. Dropped it, crashed my bike wearing it, smashed it face first in to a mail box and so on. Never one single tiny winy scratch. This, i have had for about 3 weeks and I was told it was sapphire. You decide ;)

I know my photo skills are not the best and it's hard to see, but look about "Co-Axial"
IMG_7587.jpg

Here you see it a little better
IMG_7588.jpg

avenger007

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
21/2/09
You could always do the water test:

Place large drops of water on the crystal, then tilt the watch and watch the water slide off. On the sapphire crystal, water will easily slide off - leaving small well-formed round globules of water on the surface. On the mineral crystal - most of the water will "stick" to the crystal and the drops of water will spread across the surface of the crystal to form a non-uniform "puddle" instead of sliding off.

amptor

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
1/5/07
looks like you scratched the AR to me as well. But I thought most watch makers didn't put AR on the outside. I am not sure but I think gen omegas only have it on the inside and gen breitlings have it on the inside and outside. and rolex have no AR.

gundy1907

Looking Around
4/1/10
A Shame.

Sorry for the misfortune that you experienced. If there ever could be a silver lining with your situation, it could be helping us new guys out. I know that this doesn't immediately take your frustration and pain away, but it might over time if you can educate some of us new guys on your misfortune. Thanks for your help...Gundy

deloreandmc

I'm Pretty Popular
MULTI ACCOUNT
23/10/09
yeah, if it has an AR coating, the saphirre is fine, it just needs a new AR coating, I have a Lum Tec and the crystal dosnt scratch but i have a small spot on it because of the AR

Seifert

Renowned Member
11/8/09
I think you're right about the AR coating. Actually i thought the AR was on the inside, but when I feel it, it does not have sharp edges, so it probably is the coating.

Well, its the risk you take when you wear the watch on the December 25th and have had a couple of beers ;). But it is hardly visible. Only in the right light. So it's not unwearble.

D

d4m.test

Ive had a mineral crystal blow up on me before. Never again. I'm way to rough on watches to not have sapphire. I was wearing my noobmariner the other day and my friend said something along the lines of "how can you wear that and not worry about scratches." I took it off and ran the face up against the brick face of the wall.. his jaw dropped when he saw there wasn't any scratches on it.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Ar on these reps and the gen will scratch. I suggest you polish it out as the inside should have a layer of AR too. Gen owners do this too. If it doesn't bother you, let it go. :)

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
Yeah double is annoying. The first thing most gen owners do is have it stripped off.

I am Sam

Renowned Member
9/10/09
Ar on these reps and the gen will scratch. I suggest you polish it out as the inside should have a layer of AR too. Gen owners do this too. If it doesn't bother you, let it go. :)

+1

I would say leave it as is... it would be a reminder where and what went wrong and not to repeat it again... BTW it brings individuality to your watch ;-) LOL

fine dd

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
5/8/06
I don´t know if it is sapphir or not, but for sure sapphire can be scratched.

Simple things like ceramic tiles or concrete can destroy your crystal.

The secret is the mineral corundum and it is in many things in our surroundings.

takeo

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/9/09
I didn't think the 21J Planet Oceans can be had with a sapphire crystal, only mineral. Anyway, the Gen PO has AR inside and out.