• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

So I have here one of these handwind SpeedMasters....

idontknow

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
That for the second time since I bought it last year is KIA......

:cry:

The first time it appears that I may have over wound it (crown spun freely) and it went off to G for a long stay at the spa while it was rehab'd. Now it appears that something in the mech has slipped and when I try to wind it the crown just spins back at me while laughing in my face.

I have fired off a message to G begging (OK, not quite) for his help, and hope to hear back from him soon.

My question is, is there a more robust movement that I can have dropped into this that won't have me spending $200-300 a year just to keep it running?

Looking for options from the members here that are knowledgeable in such a matter.

Sane help/suggestions would be appreciated.

20120114122241884.jpg

20120114123136692.jpg

20120114123206123.jpg

20120114122448499.jpg

2012011412295937.jpg

Om3ga_guy

28/12/10
Canada
Wow...

I hate to steer in a slightly different subject but can I ask you a question? Aside from your problems, I want to point out that your speedy has a very nice crown. The one I just bought appears to have an oversized one. Yours is much more gen like :)

Do all the hand wounds models come with the Omega branding on the movement? Mine didn't...

idontknow

Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
Do all the hand wounds models come with the Omega branding on the movement? Mine didn't...

I honestly have no idea. I picked this up on rwg.cc last summer from a member over there.

Maybe it is just on the commemorative model reps?

boostin20

8/9/10
USA
I can't help with your issue, but just wanted to comment. They seriously put 00/69? Really?

Five of Clubs

Renowned Member
18/2/10
My question is, is there a more robust movement that I can have dropped into this that won't have me spending $200-300 a year just to keep it running?

Short answer: Not really. The Seagull ST19 is one of the more reliable movements commonly used in the reps we buy. By all accounts it's a real workhorse. Is there any chance you are doing something wrong? (I don't know what that might be, but I never had any trouble with mine).

I suppose you could replace the movement with another ST19 that isn't already goofed up, but a member other than myself would have to help you find one. I always try this route when possible because I can swap a movment myself on most watches, and generally it costs less than a watchmakers time to fix it assuming it's a rep.

For $200, you could probably just buy another watch. I bet Om3ga Guy would buy your movement just for the decorated bits. Some other dude would buy the bracelet, another guy the dial. (You see where I'm headed).

Sane help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Sorry, I should have read that part first. :lol:

idontknow

Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
So I guess the question is......

What is the going rate on a ST19, if one can be found?

I haven't heard back from G, so I may have to go another route...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Om3ga_guy

28/12/10
Canada
Short answer: Not really. The Seagull ST19 is one of the more reliable movements commonly used in the reps we buy. By all accounts it's a real workhorse. Is there any chance you are doing something wrong? (I don't know what that might be, but I never had any trouble with mine).

I suppose you could replace the movement with another ST19 that isn't already goofed up, but a member other than myself would have to help you find one. I always try this route when possible because I can swap a movment myself on most watches, and generally it costs less than a watchmakers time to fix it assuming it's a rep.

For $200, you could probably just buy another watch. I bet Om3ga Guy would buy your movement just for the decorated bits. Some other dude would buy the bracelet, another guy the dial. (You see where I'm headed).

Sorry, I should have read that part first. :lol:

I'm down with helping you fund a movement. I could use some of your parts or all of it I guess :)

idontknow

Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
So as I see it, I need a) a new ST19 movement, and b) a solid caseback to replace the clear one I presently have.

Then we can work out the details of what happens to the "little pretty" that gets replaced....

OK, go forth my minions and see what you can retrieve.

minions.jpg

:chkngitter:

mbjoer

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/09
The movement has a good reputation, but I have had a similar issue with one of mine.
However I did not pay 3digit $$ to get it fixed.
Perhaps you should check with another mod to see how much he would charge?

On a positive note, your movement has proper engravings which I have not seen on an ST19 before. It looks so much better than other versions I have seen!!!

idontknow

Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
The movement has a good reputation, but I have had a similar issue with one of mine.
However I did not pay 3digit $$ to get it fixed.
Perhaps you should check with another mod to see how much he would charge?

On a positive note, your movement has proper engravings which I have not seen on an ST19 before. It looks so much better than other versions I have seen!!!

Any recommendations on who I should try?

idontknow

Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
Dancing around the fire and chanting, resurrecting my thread......

firedance.jpg

I am still looking for an option on who is best to send this to for repair. I have attempted one option (with another watch), and the individual has issues with communication and time management.....

Is there an option out there to possibly track down another movement and have some of the parts swapped over (to keep the engravings)? Is this going to be worthwhile with all of the $$ I have already sunk into it?

Or do I cut my losses now, sell it as a fixer-upper and buy quartz?

:unsure:

tracyl

22/4/11
You might want to send it to my watch maker here in Denver, CO. He did a movement swap for me on the exact same watch, and it turned out great. You can buy the movement from CousinsUK. It is the ST1902, about $138 plus shipping.

I'm not sure what that part is called, but you can have him move that one part over to the new movement, and it should be pretty easy. But you will need to call him first to discuss. www.nuwaywatch.com

His name is James, and the ph# is at the top of the page.

Tell him Tracy sent you.

Dancing around the fire and chanting, resurrecting my thread......

firedance.jpg

I am still looking for an option on who is best to send this to for repair. I have attempted one option (with another watch), and the individual has issues with communication and time management.....

Is there an option out there to possibly track down another movement and have some of the parts swapped over (to keep the engravings)? Is this going to be worthwhile with all of the $$ I have already sunk into it?

Or do I cut my losses now, sell it as a fixer-upper and buy quartz?

:unsure:

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
If G serviced the movement within the last year, I would think he would at least warranty his work.

I had a 7750 vintage Daytona serviced by another watch maker and when it crapped out about 6 months later he took it back for repair with no questions asked. I actually expected to be charged and he said it was under warranty.

idontknow

Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
You might want to send it to my watch maker here in Denver, CO. He did a movement swap for me on the exact same watch, and it turned out great. You can buy the movement from CousinsUK. It is the ST1902, about $138 plus shipping.

I'm not sure what that part is called, but you can have him move that one part over to the new movement, and it should be pretty easy. But you will need to call him first to discuss. www.nuwaywatch.com

His name is James, and the ph# is at the top of the page.

Tell him Tracy sent you.

I appreciate this. I will be contacting him soon.

If G serviced the movement within the last year, I would think he would at least warranty his work.

I had a 7750 vintage Daytona serviced by another watch maker and when it crapped out about 6 months later he took it back for repair with no questions asked. I actually expected to be charged and he said it was under warranty.

G isn't responding to email, so I am moving on. I have had this watch for close to a year, and 5 months of that time was with him. Time to try a different person....

tracyl

22/4/11
BTW, James warranties his work for 1 year, so if it causes any more issues, you can send it back. Also, you should have it back in a few weeks if he is not busy. But ask about his turn around. Forgot to mention, he is closed on Mondays. So try him tomorrow.
Tracy

idontknow

Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
BTW, James warranties his work for 1 year, so if it causes any more issues, you can send it back. Also, you should have it back in a few weeks if he is not busy. But ask about his turn around. Forgot to mention, he is closed on Mondays. So try him tomorrow.
Tracy

Sounds good to me. I didn't even attempt to contact him today since I was so swamped at work (was checking board from my phone).

But you can be sure I will be contacting him in the next couple of days.

Many thanks for the info!

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
I don't think you have a movement issue but more of a crown issue. Could be wrong, and yeah, that's one of the best stamps/sticker/engraving (not sure which it is) ever available...Don't see them often.

dan_j

5/11/10
Alpha watch (it's based in China but fairly well known over on WUS for homage watches) sells the same movement for $105 USD

http://www.alpha-watch.com/details.php?myid=861

It is the same movement but manufactured/marketed via Sea-Gull. I forget the history now but they were somehow related. Sea-Gull is also a fairly well-respected Chinese watch maker. I did quite a bit of research on this back when I was trying to fix my ST-19 Speedy as well.

Daniel

idontknow

Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
Alpha watch (it's based in China but fairly well known over on WUS for homage watches) sells the same movement for $105 USD

It is the same movement but manufactured/marketed via Sea-Gull. I forget the history now but they were somehow related. Sea-Gull is also a fairly well-respected Chinese watch maker. I did quite a bit of research on this back when I was trying to fix my ST-19 Speedy as well.

Daniel

I will be looking at this closely.

Many thanks for the info and the link!

Om3ga_guy

28/12/10
Canada

Daniel

In addition to the Sea-Gull topic, I have an ST2130 (2824-2 clone essentially) and it holds more accurate time than my Swiss ETA's. The price is awesome on the Sea-Gull movements and the performance is even better.