• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

SMP- Sweep?

shamas

Horology Curious
22/4/07
Heres a question-

Does the SMP gen second hand sweep, or tick? On YT there was a vid of a "gen" and the second hand ticked. But on omegas site, there is a interactive seamaster, and the hand was sweeping- which is accurate?

piratedzeus

I'm Pretty Popular
17/12/06
There is a automatic and a quartz modell out. see the website of omega for the differences in dial... then you see which is correct.

Hyster

29/7/06
The gen SMP comes with an automatic or a quartz movement, the auto sweeps the quartz ticks.

Most of the reps you will find will have an automatic movement and will sweep.

shamas

Horology Curious
22/4/07
Ah- sounds good. Its probably me being weird, but I greatly prefer the ticking, sweeping looks nice IMO, but theres something chilling about your watch always being "alive" lol

Here is the video on YT I was referring to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjodfHE- ... ed&search=

Forgive this noobish question, but is it a gen? the HE valve looks like its positioned wrongly

trekracer20

29/12/06
Far be it from me to judge, but most watch aficianados would be instantly put off by a "ticking" quartz watch. Quartz is almost a word not in their vocabulary.

The only time I would seriously consider buying a quartz watch now is if I really needed a high degree of accuracy that was consistent over a long period. Or if it was a gift for someone I didn't like.

Hyster

29/7/06
shamas said:
Ah- sounds good. Its probably me being weird, but I greatly prefer the ticking, sweeping looks nice IMO, but theres something chilling about your watch always being "alive" lol

Here is the video on YT I was referring to

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjodfHE- ... ed&search=

Forgive this noobish question, but is it a gen? the HE valve looks like its positioned wrongly

Looks like a full size gen quartz to me, the he valve looks higher that the 10 position and there is serial on the back of the lug at 7. Not that easy to tell from that video though.

drhydro

23/3/06
no tickee, no watchee!

Keep in mind, when you're talking about "ticking" versus "sweeping"- in most cases, it's just a matter of degree. Quartz watches "tick" once per second as a rule- very noticeable. Mechanical watches "tick" anywhere from four to eight times a second, some rare ones ten. On the common 18000 beat-per-hour (BPH) movements, it's five visible "ticks" per second.... on higher beat movements, the 28800 beat-per-hour (BPH), it's eight.

Point is, you can easily tell the difference between a quartz watch and a mechanical one- and as you move up into the 28800 BPH movements, the second hand appears to "sweep" more smoothly- but it still does tick, if you look closely enough. In general, the higher number of beats per hour, the more accurate the watch can be. (Quartz is an exception to this- because the "ticking" that you see is not what's under the hood. Quartz movements are generally more accurate than even very high quality mechanical movements, with some exceptions>)

Now the older "tuning fork" movements, Accutron and the like, really do appear to "sweep" smoothly- because they "tick" at the rate of 300 or so beats per *second*- or over a million BPH.

Hope that helps! Comments welcome.

nietzsche

Known Member
9/1/07
The Seiko Spring Drives literally sweep at something like 360k

Also you can get a quartz to sweep, some watches have it, it requires a little magnetism or friction

AGS

Horology Curious
5/9/09
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU76nhgpQCk&feature=related"]YouTube- Pawn Stars: How to Spot a Fake Rolex?[/ame]. This relates to Rolex and apparently some sweep and some tick. Can anyone advise which Rolexes sweep and which tick? Not sure how to post so please provide guidance if I messed up.

jmd33

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/09
Quartz is almost a word not in their vocabulary. The only time I would seriously consider buying a quartz watch now is if I really needed a high degree of accuracy that was consistent over a long period. Or if it was a gift for someone I didn't like.

Ouch!!!! No quartz for you!!!!! :sam:

How 'bout this one:

OmegaBox.jpg

mmmmmmm....quartz ;)

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
I have autos, mechanicals, and quartz watches. I like them all.
If I need to know what time it is, I check one of my quartz watches. Even my gen Rolex and Oris watches will run fast or slow. But all of my quartz watches run dead-on for years.
My LumTec is quartz and one of my very favorite watches. Same with my Seiko. It really just depends on the occasion and my mood.
So don't listen to the quartz-hating snobs around here. Buy what you like and wear it proudly.

donaldejose

I'm Pretty Popular
20/12/08
Compromize idea

All watches have their strong and weak points. Quartz is not "cheaper" just because a good quartz movement can cost less than a good automatic movement. I am glad Omega offered both Quartz and automatic. Which all manufacturers did. Here is a compromise idea. Put a quartz movement in a watch that runs the seconds in a small subdial. If the contrast between the subdial second hand and the subdial is not great you won't notice the "jerks" in that subdial second hand at normal viewing distance. Also, the distance at the end of the second hand covered by each jerk is greater the longer the second hand and therefore a subdial second hand won't seem to jerk as much as a full dial second hand. I have some Rolex Daytona's with quartz movements. They combine quartz accuracy and durability without a large jerking full dial second hand as long as you are not running the chrono, which most of the time we don't have any reason to use anyway.