• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

SMP OEM Bezel Retro-fit

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
So there I was all broken hearted, tryed to pry the bezel and thought the watch was departed.

I posted a wanted add for someone to fix it and VAC quickly offered his services. I sat on the decision to have it repaired or get a new case and bezel from the dealer who happend to be watch321. Anyway, I straightend the bezel back out by applying pressure between two pieces of soft plywood and let it sit until i got a new aftermarket insert for it. The insert arrived from the bay and was not the correct color and the bezel dot had an average fauxmega look. So I ordered a real bezel from watchmaterial for 130.00. I recieved it in a week and tryed to see if I could put the OEM bezel to my case. The original had a click spring and retainer with teeth on the inside on the bezel. The OEM has it on the bottom and uses a stamping with 4 tabs. I had to grind the inside of the OEM stamping to fit my case. I put the OEM bezel on without the retainer and it looked pretty promissing. To my surprise it fit perfectly! It stays on solid, moves tight, clicks are 120 smooooth ones, no slop and best of all it aligns perfectly. The bezel is a little tight but it is getting easier to move each time I use it.

Three bezels: the one on the left came with the watch and the right from clarkparts on the bay

I am very happy with the watch I purchased 18 months ago from watch321, it has an ETA 2824-2 Swiss movement with a Rado rotor (maybe change later). So what is next you ask? A dial, HE cap, crown and tube from OFREI. I'll tackle the dial first and see how it goes. This is my first justifiable mod BTW.

MZ

Known Member
23/2/07
Wow looks cool! Yeah the bad pearl is one of the first giveaways of the SMPs.

I have tried several aftermarket suppliers for this on ebay but none of them come even close to the real one.

Unfortunately Omega doesn't seem to sell these inserts without the entire bezel assembly.

Watchmaterial.com does seem to be the cheapest option around on the net

Congrats on the great improvement!

PS

If anyone knows a supplier for gen bezel insert, please let us know :D :D

SD4K

Renowned Member
25/10/06
Very nice! I wish my smp chrono would have a bezel like that!

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Supplier for the bezel

MZ,
Watch material was the least expensive place I found for the OEM bezel. I purchased the bezel for 130.00 and an extra click spring for 15.00 because the lady I talked to did not know if it came with one. I figured I should have a chance with one and an extra bonus with two.

I thought I was either going to epoxy the OEM bezel on to get the look I wanted but then it would not be useable. Then I thought I would take the insert out of the OEM and put it on my substandard bezel so it would function but not look as good. After sleeping on it for few nights I decided to look furtuer into it. After some patient grinding and trial fittings I got it to work. Then I put the retainer in and with some force it clicked right in! Much better than the Epoxy idea!

Thanks for the compliments yall!