• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

SMP Electric Blue - gen & rep side by side

Meta4

Renowned Member
26/4/09
Maybe my watch watching obsession has gone too far.

I fell in love with the Electric Blue long ago and searched for months to find a rep for myself. To my eyes it's the most beautiful watch created, I love the way the light plays on the dial and shows off so many shades of blue. The blend of blue and stainless complements the classic SMP shape perfectly and shows off the perfection of Omega's SS bands perfectly.

For a long time I've wanted a watch that keeps accurate time even when it isn't worn and thought a high quality quartz rep would be wonderful.

Today I took delivery of a gen Electric Blue in Quartz that I picked up from the bay for a good price (bad pics in the auction definitely helped keep the competing bids down - thankyou seller). I think it's official - I have a problem. What am I doing with two near identical watches?

2blues_1.jpg

Comparing the two side by side, I think my rep is a very good copy and it's difficult to pick which is more aesthetically pleasing. It's hard to compare the dial colour because of the way the blue shimmers on this model. It displays different colours at different angles. The blue of the dials is near identical in the shade but the rep looks lighter outdoors.

2blues_2.jpg

There are minor differences with hand length, date font size and HE valve placement but these don't detract from the appeal of the rep. The quartz lacks the word CHRONOMETER on the dial. The shape of the crown guards is subtly different.

The fine detail on the back of the gen is (a little) more crisp than the rep.

2blues_backs.jpg

The most obvious differences are:
The bezel markings of the gen are in a slightly bolder font and a little deeper than the rep. The rep bezel markings can be a little hard to see against the shiny SS in bright light and this is less apparent with the gen. I had thought of getting a new bezel insert but wasn't sure if it would fit exactly.
The rep pearl is also slightly smaller and the gen has a heftier ratchet click.

The gen is a real lume monster when compared with its rep half-sibling.

2blues_lume.jpg

The clasps are almost identical with the etching vs engraved text being the only tell.

2blues_clasp.jpg

One other thing ..... I don't want to be a princess but after looking at auto reps for most of the year. the tick of the quartz second hand seems very inelegant - almost clunky. The seconds slide past with a silky smooth sweep on the (allegedly) Swiss ETA powered rep.

They're slightly different but both are beautiful watches.
2blues_3.jpg

Whichwatch

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/9/09
Great post ! I always love to see comparisons like this - I picked the right one out for the rep quite easily but have to admit they both look good. The biggest disappointment on the rep is the engraved strap markings, so Im guessing the rep is quite old ? I would have thought more recent ones would have the engraved strap markings, especially given its an ETA-type movement, but tell me if I am wrong :)

Meta4

Renowned Member
26/4/09
No - I only bought the rep a month ago.
Most reps I've been looking at these days have the light etching rather than deeper engraving.
Does anyone know some that come with engraving?

Whichwatch

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/9/09
Im sure I have seen a few with engraving rather than etching - but ive seen so many i cannot really remember which. I got the impression that the Omega Seamaster PO is engraved - esp the better versions. Am I wrong there too folks ?

pcsam

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
22/3/09
enjoy them both mate ........... gen on clean days (nothing physical like tree felling ) and the rep for the other times .......
the tick is a killer I have a gen Deville quartz and luckily its not got a second hand :mrgreen: so no problems that way .but if you want accuracy all the time no auto movement is as accurate as a quartz :shock:

jmd33

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/09
Both are fantanstic. The nice thing about having both the gen and the rep is that you can wear your favorite watch whenever you want (clean or dirty) and it will be essentially the same watch.

Good job!!!