• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

SMP Chrono, Comments on the general construction

OldeCrow

I'm Pretty Popular
13/4/06
59c18263.jpg

So after being told by my usual dealer to just go buy the genuine because the rep is a piece of shit morbid curiosity got the better of me and I bought this from the private sales section. I had a flawless transaction with the seller and the watch arrived two days after it was shipped in perfect condition, well as good as a rep gets anyway.

After aligning the bezel and checking the watch for defects I proceeded to inspect the chronograph pushers.
For those of you who have never played with the genuine the pushers have screw down locks for water resistance and on the rep these are purely decorative! to add insult to injury the pushers are pressed into the case with no retainer at all so they are free to fall back out. ok they are super glued, hardly a solution.

This is the part where I would normally insult the parentage of the people who designed and made this rep but I will take the high road and just think it to myself this time.

I suppose it's not really a big deal but for an extra ten dollars they could use real thread in screw down pushers and this would be fantastic watch!

Also apparently still a problem in reps is poor quality spring steel, the crown has a spring in it that allows you to screw it down while it freewheels and when you unscrew it it should pop out into the locked position so that you can wind and set the movement. The spring in the crown on this one is failing so you have to actually pull it out and hold it out to wind and set the watch. If this poor quality spring steel is used in the movement too it will surely lead to problems and early failure.

If you are the kind of person who can look at a shiny belt buckle for hours and be amused these problems won't bother you one bit but the devil is in the details and I would rather they spell Omega wrong and get the watch right than have these kinds of shortcuts show up on a watch!

Importr

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
23/10/06
I'm pretty happy with mine. It came from Joshua. The only gripe I had was with the screwed links - soft as shit screws. I managed to sort it in the end but its been great otherwise :)

I've not yet had the pleasure of handling the gen though...

paulV

4/11/06
QUOTE"The spring in the crown on this one is failing so you have to actually
pull it out and hold it out to wind and set the watch. If this poor quality spring
steel is used in the movement too it will surely lead to problems and early failure. "/QUOTE.

RIGHT!!....stem is broken, having described problems since i received
the watch in december. No, what to do, i'm not a crafstman....Is there someone in the EU capable to fix it??

OldeCrow

I'm Pretty Popular
13/4/06
By-Tor said:
They're NOT screw-down pushers on the gen. We've been through this many times.

The crown is bad... here's Ziggy's report:
http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=20780

I was so hoping/afraid? somebody would say that, I haven't played with the gen yet and either way I guess that solves my dilemma about buying one of these. If they are decorative on the genuines too It certainly curbs my enthusiasm twords buying one!

Thanks for the link to ziggys comments!

clinterik

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/11/06
They are right about the pushers they do not push in. I have owned this watch since Dec. and have worn it every day. Yes! the movement is fragile but if you take a little tlc when setting the time and play with the chrono it is a fine time peace

clinterik

You're Saying I Can Sell?
3/11/06
TYPO!!!!!!!!!! I MEEN DONT PLAY WITH THE CHRONO!!!!!!!!!!!

SD4K

Renowned Member
25/10/06
the mvmt in my smp chrono is very reliable, runs great no matter if chronos run or not... :idea:

OldeCrow

I'm Pretty Popular
13/4/06
hehe well the genuine crown and crown tube install would be a nice upgrade if I was going to put a swiss 7750 in it and go nuts with it. At that point I would put the genuine crono pushers in it too. having not played with the genuine I am still assuming the the genuine pushers screw into the case as it traditional for many omegas.

Of course all that would cost what a used one of these costs so it would be a lot of effort wasted.
I almost snagged a Ti version of this a couple weeks ago for 1200.00 but I was a day late ...

I presume that Omega wanted to stress the watertightness of the pushers by imitating the screwdown style?
There is usually a hand wrench made to fit the knurling to thread and unthread the pushers from the case. Like the Rolex crown tubes the omega pushers usually have the knurling on the inside, it looks like in this case it's outside just for looks.

Well since the general design isn't really a departure from the gen I guess I can't complain about that.
I guess I need to question the parentage of the Swiss guys who designed and made the genuine instead!
Pushers still need to thread in crown still needs to work properly on the rep!

I had to shorten the stem on this one before the crown would seat properly too, perhaps over tightening the crown against the stem is what leads to the spring failure in the crown? At any rate with the stem short enough now the crown seats against the case properly but the bad spring is still there....

OldeCrow

I'm Pretty Popular
13/4/06
paulV said:
pull it out and hold it out to wind and set the watch. If this poor quality spring
steel is used in the movement too it will surely lead to problems and early failure. "/QUOTE.

the watch in december. No, what to do, i'm not a crafstman....Is there someone in the EU capable to fix it??

Member palpatine over on the other two rep forums is in the EU and does mods/repairs!

You know I guess I just need to take a break from reps, I have come to expect disappointment from them to the point where I immediately make a list of all the things that are wrong or perceived to be wrong without even looking to see what is right.... whats worse is that it's starting to color my genuine collecting. I'm done

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
OldeCrow said:
having not played with the genuine I am still assuming the the genuine pushers screw into the case as it traditional for many omegas.

They don't. The "screws" are fixed on the genuine... they don't move.

Or do you mean how they're *attached* to the case?

OldeCrow

I'm Pretty Popular
13/4/06
By-Tor said:
OldeCrow said:
having not played with the genuine I am still assuming the the genuine pushers screw into the case as it traditional for many omegas.

They don't. The "screws" are fixed on the genuine... they don't move.

Or do you mean how they're *attached* to the case?

Ya I mean how they are attached to the case, it's clear now that the knurled rings are just to make the pushers look like they are tough ;)

FWI
Ofrei claims to sell the genuine case for about $800.00

nietzsche

Known Member
9/1/07
The pushers do not screw in, in the gen it is water resistant to 300m and usable underwater even though they are not screw it. It was and still is in some respects a great achievement. They have what looks like screw down pushers because it homogenizes the look of the watch, the crown is screw down and it makes the whole thing look more coherent.

paulV

4/11/06
Thanks OldeCrow,
I contacted Palpatine but he doesn't take orders anymore :(
Someone else in EU who is able to fix the problem, of course i pay for it :D

OldeCrow said:
paulV said:

Member palpatine over on the other two rep forums is in the EU and does mods/repairs!

You know I guess I just need to take a break from reps, I have come to expect disappointment from them to the point where I immediately make a list of all the things that are wrong or perceived to be wrong without even looking to see what is right.... whats worse is that it's starting to color my genuine collecting. I'm done

azgjav

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/06
i guess the knurling is done so that it'll be easier to install the pusher guards onto the case. i believe the pusher guard contains gaskets which allow the pushers to be used underwater..

i had a gen but sold it cause the bezel didn't align and the date changes way after 12:00am..