• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

SMP Bracelet screws are NOT coming off...

subseeker

Renowned Member
Advisor
27/9/06
The little screws on the SMP bracelets are just NOT coming off..

I had hard time with the rolex ones, but they eventually budged...

Not this time.. It's just stuck like superglued or something...

I keep piling off the screw head with the drivers, and If I keep doing it, I won't be able to use them at all..

I soaked the little devils in WD 40, and it didn't work....
--> by the way, WD 40s are great for cleaning any dirts on your watches.

Any ideas?

Hellcat

Renowned Member
18/11/06
I had similar probs with mine..It seemed like the screws didnt have enough "Slot" for the screwdriver to fit into on some of the links. It took a while and ALOT of patience but eventually I got the little suckers loose.

Good luck!!

subseeker

Renowned Member
Advisor
27/9/06
I am going to soak them in WD 40 for couple days....
If that doesn't work, I will have to buy a piece of half sized link....

This is really not a fun part of buying a rep.... :?

AWS

15/9/06
.....are you sure they are not pins?...cheers,aws.

Ferrariman

Renowned Member
19/8/06
I should post a disclamer with this. LOL Try putting the driver on the head of the screw. Make sure the band is against something solid, now hit the back of the driver. Don't pumel it but a decent whack from a watchsmith hammer or other small tool. This will, many times, break the screw free. Maybe this will help.

spelling edit

AWS

15/9/06
subseeker said:
AWS said:
.....are you sure they are not pins?...cheers,aws.

They are screws... And that question almost threw me off, mate.....

...then i agree with ferrariman in regards to the old hammer trick..it should work..cheers,aws.

caravaggio

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
13/6/06
Same thing happened to my SMP chrono.

Took forever to get the band sized.

Me not likey tight screws....

I find the steel on reps real soft.... is it the same grade as gen's steel?

subseeker

Renowned Member
Advisor
27/9/06
I got it off....

I just hammered it thru....

It wasn't actually screwed in, more like it was "put" in by force... almost like pins...

From now on, whenever there is a tight screw, I am gonna screw them with hammers...
:twisted:

D

d4m.test

The Seamaster bracelets don't have screws.....they have split pins.....the split end of the pin can give the appearance of a screw.....but they're not screws....I've never seen a screwed Omega bracelet....some are split pins...some are two piece pins with a clinching middle piece..!

If you try punching them thru'......try from the opposite end of the "screw" head.....!

Ferrariman

Renowned Member
19/8/06
paneraifreak said:
Same thing happened to my SMP chrono.

Took forever to get the band sized.

Me not likey tight screws....

I find the steel on reps real soft.... is it the same grade as gen's steel?

I have had my Gen 111 about a year and the damn thing is scratched to hell. I would say that there is not much difference in the metal but that is only an opinion.

Highflyingclive

15/3/06
My SMP Pro GMT bracelet has screws. Not pins. But they were extremely tight. I suspect that threadlock had been used.

I shifted them.

First step was to grind a screwdriver until is was a really good fit in the screw curf (slot). It is amazing what you can achieve with a whetstone.

Then I fixed a miniature g-clamp onto the shaft of the screwdriver. This gave my rheumaticy old hands somthing to grip, so that I could apply sufficient torque to turn the screws.

It worked - and I didn't put a single scratch on the bracelet.