• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

SMP Black Conundrum

pjsayer

I'm Pretty Popular
18/5/11
I've been after a gen SMP Black (i.e. non-Bond 2254.50) for quite some time and managed to bag myself a good condition model from eBay last week to replace my 2531.80. It's a lovely sports watch, but I suspect it is in need of a service as it's losing 10s a day which is well outside COSC specs.

My conundrum is - I've seen a decent Swiss ETA rep on Timeshop here http://www.timeshops.net/product.php?id_product=1303. Is it worth having the watch serviced and regulated (for what could be £160+) or should I put it back on eBay and hopefully make a small profit and buy the rep (expecting 3-4 years of use before I replace it with another)?

I know it's personal preference, but I really can't make up my mind. Help!

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
The rep is no where even close to gen. The crown guards are off, the crown is wrong, the bracelet uses screws or spilt pins, the clasp says planet Ocean, the Helium valve is in the wrong position and lume is not good at all compared to the gen. My advise is to spend the extra 200 and get it serviced. You mentioned you scored a good deal and could even flip it as is for a profit anyway so... Keep the gen. After a few months of saving some money you will be right back in the game. :) That's my 2 anyway. ;)

pjsayer

I'm Pretty Popular
18/5/11
I didn't even notice that that clasp said 'Planet Ocean' dope! You're right - I think I just needed telling! I think the 2254 is 4-5 years old so must need servicing. I just need to polish a deep scratch out of the bracelet - the bezel and crystal is perfect.

Cheers for the advice...

giobo

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/5/10
Can you find somehow when it was last serviced??
If it was more than five years then probably it will need it..
But it is perfect if you can do the service, when you will be able and keep it..
Since you have the gen, letting it go for the rep and for this reason, is not looking good to me..
The decision is yours of course , until you keep the gen lol !!!

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
I didn't even notice that that clasp said 'Planet Ocean' dope! You're right - I think I just needed telling! I think the 2254 is 4-5 years old so must need servicing. I just need to polish a deep scratch out of the bracelet - the bezel and crystal is perfect.

Cheers for the advice...

No problem.

Cheers buddy, enjoy the gen. You are lucky. :)

pjsayer

I'm Pretty Popular
18/5/11
Decision made. Would any of you wise gentleman be able to advise me how to find out the age of the SMP as the serial card agent section hasn't been stamped (I've only got the model number and serial code). Does this mean it's a 'grey'? The vendor claimed it was a gift from 4-5 years ago.

idontknow

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
24/5/11
Southwest
I'm with R2, I would never give up my gen Bond SMP 300 2220.80 for a rep.
It is beginning to drift out of spec (and my BK SubC is more accurate), so I know a servicing will be happening in the next 6 months or so. It would be sooner but Pb has two of my subs for mod (and will be getting my PO for lume), and G has my Speedy for repair so I am pacing myself. :thumbsup:

Decision made. Would any of you wise gentleman be able to advise me how to find out the age of the SMP as the serial card agent section hasn't been stamped (I've only got the model number and serial code). Does this mean it's a 'grey'? The vendor claimed it was a gift from 4-5 years ago.

Unfortunately about the only way I know is to go through Omega. The card not being completed doesn't mean "grey", it just means someone neglected to do so for whatever reason.

tracyl

22/4/11
I'd say get it serviced. A rep will never beat a serviced gen. By the way, 10 sec a day is not really that bad. Why not just get it regulated? Don't go to an authorized dealer for the servicing. They will rape you with charges. As an example, a friend of mine went to an Omega AD last week because his speedy pro was not working, and they told him it would cost $500 just to crack the case, and about $1000 to fix and service. I called my watch smith, and he said he would service it for $175. So be sure to look around, a servicing doesn't have to cost 160 pounds.

pjsayer

I'm Pretty Popular
18/5/11
Cheers for the advice. The previous owner claimed that it was kept in a drawer for 2 years so it may need breaking in for a few weeks. I hadn't had my previous SMP 2531.80 gen serviced since I bought it in 2004 and it kept perfect time. As an aside how difficult is it to polish out deep bracelet scratches as I've got one or two that I'd like to lose? Is Brasso and elbow grease up to the challenge?!