• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

SMP bezel alignment using heat?

evilgenius88

Plotting world domination
Supporter
Certified
11/4/07
Volcano Base
I want to get my SMP bezel to look the proper way, so I'll have to try to align it myself. As far as I've read things here, there are two ways that are propagated:

1) Use a heat source (sun / lamp) to get the glue between the bezel and the insert to loosen and turn the insert into right position.

2) Get the entire bezel off by applying some precise blunt force, then get the insert out of the bezel the same way. Then re-glue the insert back the proper way. Put bezel back on the watch.

As far as I'm concerned, number 1 seems a lot easier, so I think I'm trying that first. But before I attempt this technical feat, I ask you, my fellow replica connoisseur gentlemen:

- Have you done / tried this on your SMP (or similar watch)?
- Has anyone tried it and have things go wrong (like the watch getting damaged / parts melting or something exploding in your face or burning down your house and such?)

Thanks to all who share their experience! (wow, this last sentence sounds like it came out of some chick pregnancy group :roll:)

smalls

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/2/07
I left mine by a warm window for about 10min. and with a little force it slowly slid into place. Looks like a different watch with everything lined up right :)

MZ

Known Member
23/2/07
I tried option 1 but that didn't work on my watch

If you use option 2, don't forget to put some tape on the watch and the object you are using(eg butter knife)
This really helps against scratching the watch!

evilgenius88

Plotting world domination
Supporter
Certified
11/4/07
Volcano Base
Thanks for the replies everyone. The bezel is aligned now, but it required a combination of the two methods. And thanks for the scratch advice Emzy, although I read it too late. Nothing bad, just one tiny scratch on the side of the bezel, not visible unless you look for it, but I still wish I thought of using tape. So what happend? First, I need to add that my watch is a 'basic' Swiss-ETA SMP from Andrew, with a correct 3-hour marker, so that you know the type.

1) I tried heating it in the sun, but the bezel insert wouldn't budge. Then I tried applying more heat with a hair dryer, but the insert still remained immobile. As the watch was getting pretty hot (too hot to hold for long with bare hands), I thought it wasn't a good idea to try and heat it even more.

2) I popped off the bezel with some precise force on four sides, it was easy and the bezel didn't bend at all. I used the hair dryer to heat the bezel alone once more, and then I clicked out the bezel, as the glue softened up. First I aligned the bezel and insert WITHOUT adding any new glue, and clicked the insert back in.

It clicked back in nicely and after a few minutes, I checked to see if the insert was going to come off or move. It didn't seem to be the case, as I tried moving and shaking the bezel and it looked like the original glue had cooled down and again kept the bezel and insert glued together.

Putting back the bezel on the watch took two tries, but wasn't as much work as I expected. So now I have a correctly aligned bezel on my SMP!