• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

small review of the PAM088 -wristshots warning-

azgjav

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/06
got the pam088 gmt from EL last week, an awesome watch with an awesome complication from an awesome dealer!

the gmt function works similar to the 289x movements but only the 24hr hand is adjustable vs the 12hr hand on the 289x..the 24hr hand jumps tru the hour during adjustment and sweeps during normal time keeping, sweet! however, that means that pple staying in timezones with 30min differences, like adelaide, will find it a lil confusing having to + or - 30min when reading the gmt time..

the case is extremely well made like any other high end repanerai..the saphire crystal is slightly domed, sitting 0.1mm above the bezel..the cyclops is 6mm in dia and the date mag is good..if only the date font is bolder, then this rep wld be almost perfect..

dial is almost perfect (missing the horizontal bat at 9..), lume is extremely good out of the box! strong lume for the first 10s which slowly fades to nought in 5 min..good for the elevator effect but not for checking the time in the middle of the night..def an improvement from the crap rep lume of the past..

on the wrist, the 88 wears slightly smaller than the 196/188/024 but slightly larger than the 111/112/177..weight wise it's heavier than the 111.

there is a very distinct "wobble" of the asian 7750 from the winding motor/swing weight and i've replaced it with one from another watch using the older asian7750 and the wobbling sound reduced significantly. :)

orings had been greased after i've inspected the movement for debris/loose screws and since then i've bathed with it several times without any problems with water leaking into the case.. ~awesome..

now..some wrist shots!

P1060797.jpg

P1060772.jpg

P1060731.jpg

P1060694.jpg

P1060682.jpg

P1060676.jpg

P1060665.jpg

P1050107.jpg

P1050093.jpg

bigbadbrad

I'm Pretty Popular
18/3/06
-

Nice operational detail, A., on this one. I can see it's winter Downunder (leather) :!: :)

--- BBB

sexypapa

Known Member
17/3/06
Very nice telling and good watch, too.

The moment I saw EL's PAM88 thread it went to my list right away, now I have to move it down a little bit only if the tip of GMT hand can be smaller.

I think I can wait on it.

Wear it well!! :wink:

iluvspl

Known Member
25/7/06
Hey in response to that wobble sound or the sound of the movement winding on the new 7750 is there a way to fix that? I got a 187 a month ago and when i were it and shake it i can here he movement spinning around its kind of annoying and am afraid someone might spot it out in a heart beat.

rawbarZ7

Renowned Member
16/5/06
The one I got, the GMT arrow doesn't look that big, or that far from the gen. It does however have that movement sound, but I don't mind. Keeps great time, too.

The one thing that does bother me about mine is the wobbly crown. Mine seems a little floppy and loose. But I don't use it very often, being an auto.

Didn't think I would like the watch as much as I do. Looks and feels great. Thicker and meatier than 111h.

I was going to post pics of mine, but these are great.

RB

azgjav

I'm Pretty Popular
17/3/06
iluvspl - well, i changed the rotor on mine..used the motor from an old asian 7750 which was really quiet..and now i don't get the infamous 7750 wobble..

as for the arrow..well, it ain't THAT big..it's still proportionate..any smaller and the arrow will probably be lost on the busy dial.. :)

i modded my crown and CG a lil too..added a flat gasket to the crown to make it fit tighter and i used silicon glue to create a sleeve for the CG pin so that the lever will not be so loose and floppy when opened. :)

evan

31/3/06
Has anyone thought to ever ask someone like Davidsen to try and get a better date wheel for this? It is what is holding me back from getting a PAM with a date.

Other than that, I AM SO FREAKING JEALOUS!!!! LOVE IT, LOVE IT, LOVE IT!!!