• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

SM300 franken, well genken maybe?

Rovin

Renowned Member
27/6/10
I have a thing for dive watches, but I also want them to actually be capable of surviving a good dip. I was in the process of building up a PO (still am, watchmaker is slow on a part) when I noticed Watchco SM's getting around. I figured if the parts are available, then I'd go nuts and build a franken out of gen spare and used parts.

Anyway, from there I saw LHOOQ's (kudos, your write ups are awesome) write up of his older rep build and was inspired further by the recent builds of PO's using parts sourced from OF & CUK. So I thought, hmmmmmmmm......

Onto the web I went, in search of bits.
I found that the case comes with plexi, bezel, crown & tube and case back, so that saved a bit of fooling around. Sort of, more on that later.

So the parts purchased from a mixture of CUK & OF:
* Case: 166.0324 - CUK
* Dial: OME-560-DIAL#3
* Stem: OME-563-1106
* Sec hand: X20220
* Bracelet: 022ST1171000
* End links: 026ST633 (2 of)
* Main hands: X21262
* DW: OME-5601-500N
* Movt holder: OME-550-1974
* Gen 565 date DeVille movement from Bulgaria ('bay)

I was going to have a go at completing it myself, but I got busy and it was going nowhere..... That and the quick set date doo-dad was busted and the damn gen crown tube was too long and didn't permit the seating of the crown against the case. I did fit the date wheel and the bracelet, so I had half a go!

So off to my watchmaker (it's all gen, so no issues) and mentioned I had a spare parts bin to assemble. He looked at me funny, and then said what the heck, I'll put it together.

Two months later (he's busy and we had to replace the CT& crown + wait for the date set spring), we ended up with a completed unit.

I'll post a pic shortly, but it does look 100% identical to this one that I pinched from WUS:
f416875b.jpg

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
Nice one Rovin, these are getting harder to find, and prices are going up even on the pre-build watchco versions. Great build to take on.

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Very cool project, me like it a lot!!!