• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Should I consider a t-touch for harsh, outdoor, use

Ibn_Hasaf

Renowned Member
26/6/11

I will start by saying that I am no fan of large watches. At this moment I am wearing a 37mm Squale medium dive watch; partially this is because I have a 6.5†wrist. Further, I prefer subdued styling in nearly everything I have. However, I have been considering a wrist computer style watch for some time.

I was at a Casio store and nothing struck me as interesting. Most of the offerings were gigantic, so big I would never wear one. The ones that were close to a good size for me didn’t do much or they had ridiculously busy dials. Leaving after finding nothing I wandered by the Tissot store (same mall). I hadn’t considered the T-touch line because of the size; but, when I tried it on I noticed that the lugs did not extend past the flat of my wrist.

So, I am looking at the T047.420.11.051.00 I am not going to deny that it is close to the limit of what I would ever consider spending on a watch. Other than that, or taking that into consideration, is this a good watch?

I looked at the Tissot site and it has several of the features I like, it has two time-zones (however, I prefer to have three), I see that the digital time-zones must be synchronized to the dial to have them line up correctly, can it intentionally be left unsynchronized to show three time-zones (where I am on the dial, London in TZ1 and home in TZ2)?

The compass is high on my reasons for this type of watch, the altimeter is interesting data but not really necessary.

The T-touch seems to have gotten very mixed reviews. It is a quality piece of kit for active outdoor use?

When I purchase stuff I like to operate under the illusion that it is the last one I will need to buy, is this unit built to last?​

VB_Spike

Renowned Member
23/7/09
I considered a T touch for my Search and Rescue work but after reading the reviews, I decided against it. I've heard so many horror stories of the touch functions stopping after light duty but then again, that's just hearsay.

I ended up with a suunto observer after my search. Now I just beat the crap outta my seamaster for a daily tool watch.

If you want hard use, go g-shock. I dont particularly like them but its undeniable, they are built tough. And they have some decent looking analog pieces.

Pannyforme

Renowned Member
27/8/08
nope , just look up on reliability of t touches. get a g shock , cheaper and lasts longer

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
Mixed reviews, sure. If it stops working, repairs are expensive. But it's sure cool to see the hands dance around when you access its features.

I have had this Ti for several years and have had no problems. I spend a fair amount of time outdoors and this is a serviceable 42mm tool watch that is not a massive wrist computer.

The one thing I had to learn is that every time you get to a trailhead and want to track your vertical, calibrate the starting elevation to your car's GPS.

P1020137.jpg

Ibn_Hasaf

Renowned Member
26/6/11
Follow up question, whats your price range?

For a gen, limit is 1K

The reasong that th eG-shock line turned me off is that size. The ones that were not huge were really basic watches with a different body and overly busy faces.

VB_Spike

Renowned Member
23/7/09
1K is a good budget though. Gotta be something out there. My gen seamaster was only $1400. I mean, its basic but it's a seamaster! :p

Ibn_Hasaf

Renowned Member
26/6/11
1K is a good budget though. Gotta be something out there. My gen seamaster was only $1400. I mean, its basic but it's a seamaster! :p

I realize that; but, almost evrything on the market is oversized. Foe a simple watch I see no reason for it to be large. I can understand the touch being the size it is because it needs to be able to detect a difference between places a person may touch the screen; but a simple watch, there is no reason (well, there is a reason, it is movie placements).

The only other one I am actually considering is a Chrostopher Ward C61 (the proposed 38mm) GMT. However, they are being so cagey about release dates and if there even will be a GMT in the C61 line that I am starting to give up on them.

As I said, the G-shock watches are all stupid big and the dials are far to busy. I am geting to th epoint that I am going to get afew keepers and start dropping off the watch boards. There is just so little out there other than overpriced action-man movie props.

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
Have you looked at Seiko 5? They have 38mm field watches that will take a hit.

Some older Hamiltons, too, like the Khaki are fairly priced and have 38-40mm cases.

Get a handheld GPS for the technical stuff.

carlton

Put Some Respect On My Name
2/10/11
Don't waste your money on T-touch, just get yourself a Casio Protrek.

Ibn_Hasaf

Renowned Member
26/6/11
Don't waste your money on T-touch, just get yourself a Casio Protrek.

Those things are huge!

They might work worn outside of a parka; or, more realistically, strapped to some piece of equipment. However, they are not wristwatches.

carlton

2/10/11
Those things are huge!

They might work worn outside of a parka; or, more realistically, strapped to some piece of equipment. However, they are not wristwatches.

T touch are not small either and they are bloody thick.

Most protrek have the functions of a normal T touch but the price is half of it and protrek works on tough solar whereas T touch is quartz.

Compare it yourself.

:cheers:

Ibn_Hasaf

Renowned Member
26/6/11
T touch are not small either and they are bloody thick.

Most protrek have the functions of a normal T touch but the price is half of it and protrek works on tough solar whereas T touch is quartz.

Compare it yourself.

:cheers:

In all seriousness, can you recommend any protrk that is less than 43mm? I went and looked at the site and didn't find any. If you know of a model I am missing it would be worth looking at.

I am all for cheaper; but, I do want a compass and an altemiter. Just today I was out on a ride and I notices that about hour two I was really working to hold my speed. I got to wondering if I was on a ling gentle grade. It may seem obvious; but on long grades some of the cues you expect are not there.

Of course what I did was changed the screen on my GPS and watched the altimeter for a while (even though GPS altitude readings are inaccurate, it still provides a trend) in a couple of Km I was convinced I was indeed climbing.

So, today I had, what I see as, a typical use, about four hours of bicycling (continual vibration environment). A lot of sweat and an instance of immersion (swimming. . . and no, I am not going to leave my watch on the shore) and a crash (not serious, just a tipover).

I am still using the squale 1515 (Gen) that I got from a dealer here. It serves fine on these types of trips. I am just thinking that I want something more entertaining (and with a stopwatch). Also, I really do need multiple timezones. I needed to return by 8pm mountain time. Now I set the bezel after doing the math; but, I would rather have the watch do the time for me.

carlton

2/10/11
I don't think there is any protrek smaller than 43mm. Go try it out from a dealer and feel it yourself the size of it. I think it should be ok.

Ibn_Hasaf

Renowned Member
26/6/11
Well, the various voices convinced me. As much as I respect the Tissot opinions, and I do like the t-touch, I decided to go with the G-Shock. The deciding factor was that the G-Shock did not look outlandishly stupid on me. It was important that the lugs did not extend past my wrist.

31qxm.jpg

As you can see, I went with the GW-9600-1DR aka, “the Riseman,â€. . . That suddenly sounds as stupid, on an oversized watch, as calling some bloated farm lorry “The Compensator.â€
vu7e2.jpg

Ignoring that digression, as you can see, it came with a pair of G-Shock branded sports gloves and a second pair of G-Shock branded glove liners. It also came with an “Edifice†branded towel, a few boxes and bags to put it all in, and the paperwork.
12foo.jpg

Only time will tell if I am bothered by wearing such an oversized sports watch. Obviously it has no hope of passing off as a dress watch; however, that is the purpose of the Frederique Constant, there is no real need for functionality overlap (that was one draw to the Tissot, the Tissot seemed a bit more versatile; but, like I said, versatility that is, ultimately, pointless). The picture gives an idea of how this watch looks on a 6.5†wrist.

Z3BR4

Renowned Member
16/5/12
G-Shock is nice.. But if I was looking for a functional outdoor watch and was willing to drop up to 300-500.. I'd pick up a Suunto Ambit. I love mine, has everything you'll find on a G-shock plus some extras. Great wilderness watch, great function, great battery life and also easy to change. In my opinion they look a bit better than G-shock's or the Tissot T-Touch and they are rock solid.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Suunto-Ambit-Heart-Monitor-Watch/dp/B006N0LIG6"]Amazon.com: Suunto Ambit Heart Rate Monitor Watch: Sports & Outdoors@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41hPz%2BIyY2L.@@AMEPARAM@@41hPz%2BIyY2L[/ame]

Don't pay over $350 for one. You can find em on the bay New for around $300.

Champagne iH

4/1/14
I own 2 T-Touch watches and have worn both while deployed. I love them, I've beat them all to hell and back. The original, which is very rare has a fine mesh inside the casebacks and filters out anything bigger than skin cells. The first run T-Touch proved to be a quick seller, with just one per AD, but they were not profitable enough so back to the cost cutting board. The newer ones have cheaper bracelets and clasps. The don't have the fine SS mesh but a silicone membrane. Still the battery and Quartz movement is encased in heavy duty plastic or composite material. People wonder that the compass isn't responding, but the compass draws the most power and it's the first sign that it's time for a new 3V battery replacement. I have had batteries last longer than 6 years and as little as 4 with more frequent compass usage. Sapphire crystals and such make this a very tough watch. I have been mountaineering as well as moving through the swamps and deserts with the watch.

I can't say enough about the original except I am having the case reshape do and cleaned up as it has been through so much. Best Quartz watch I have ever owned surpassing 2 Omegas.

"What should we start with?"
"An '82 Margaux."
"Is it good?"
"Good? It will make you believe in God!"