• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Shortened my driver today.

frigpig

Ghost of Sales Mod Past
Advisor
16/8/09
I've never hit a consistent long ball. Ever.

I've also learn over the years that I can connect with a 3 wood pretty consistently and my long irons including my 2 are solid and straight.

Well last weekend I hit the new Rocketballz 3 and loved it. I was doing tons of reading online for deals and forums about reviews ect, and found some threads on shortening drivers.

Basically drivers today are as long as the manufacturers can make them to get more thoeretical distance out of them on a swing machine. I read the vast majority of golfers on the tour have drivers shorter than stock. Some more reading found that when Tiger hit a Titliest early in his career it was 43.5 in!

Well, I split my grip, busted out my straight edge and lopped off a ton. Over 2 inches. Before you start up the swing weight thing, me no care. ;)

Installed a new grip, and took her out.

Best day off the tees in a looooong time. May be something to this.........just got to figure out these damn blades late in the round when my shoulders start to get tired. ;)

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
Best day off the tees in a looooong time.

Funny you mention this. My driver is 47 inches long and I was thinking about taking an inch off of it. So if I may ask, you have not lost any distance with a shorter driver?

frigpig

Ghost of Sales Mod Past
Advisor
16/8/09
My distance is about the same as it was with a good hit at full length. I have notice a much lower ball flight.

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
My distance is about the same as it was with a good hit at full length. I have notice a much lower ball flight.

I guess I will need to shorten it. I don't seem to get around as well on the longer club like I used to. Swing speed right around 100 mph. Maybe a fitting is in order since I've never done one.

frigpig

Ghost of Sales Mod Past
Advisor
16/8/09
I've always found club fittings to be a whole bunch of nonsense since most are done differently.

Just my opinion........ I do get why they are important.

co-axial

Legendary Member
Advisor
16/9/10
Mmmh, why shorten. If needed (straight flight, not "john Daly" style) just grip a inch or two down - works fine for me

frigpig

Ghost of Sales Mod Past
Advisor
16/8/09
It always feels strange doing that Patrick. This feels sooooo right. ;)

FLArch

Known Member
16/12/12
Split grip? Explain.

You mean had space between left and right hands?

frigpig

Ghost of Sales Mod Past
Advisor
16/8/09
Split grip? Explain.

You mean had space between left and right hands?

No, i just cut it off! :lol:

I could not loosen and blow it off so I just split it and installed a new grip. :picard2:

Geoshu

You're Saying I Can Sell?
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
1/3/13
If you shorten your driver, your swing weight drops. So make sure to add weight to the head or change to a lighter grip on the butt end to balance the swing weight.

frigpig

Ghost of Sales Mod Past
Advisor
16/8/09
More crasyness!

My backup driver is a Cobra L5V. My bag fell out of my cart and the shaft snapped in half.

I refuse to spent $100 to reshaft a driver. On the shorted driver note, I took an old steel shafted persimmon style driver on installed it on the Cobra head.

Most bizarre feeling driver ever.........and I smash with it! Straight straight straight! Are golf companies messing with us just to sell more crap?