• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Setting the date

RacksOnRacks

Known Member
4/12/09
I just received my Hublot Big Bang King with Swiss 2892 movement.

Are there only certain times when I can set the date in order to prevent unwanted damage?

Thanks

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
Yes. With any mechanical or automatic watch, rep or gen, you should avoid changing the date when the watch is showing anywhere between 10pm and 3am. The date change gear may be engaged during this time and manual date changes can damage that gear train.
Always advance the time to, say, 5am, then set the date, and then set the time. (btw - if you advance the time past 12:00 and the date changes, you are now in am time)

Capt. Obvious

Put Some Respect On My Name
5/5/13
Yep. Listen to the good advice! JUST yesterady I f**ked up my watch's date function because I forgot to advance the date before changing it!

dsmdave

Renowned Member
15/1/11
I always move the hour hands until it switches dates, then I advance to 6:30am. From there I change my dates. Easy to remember because both hands are pointing directly down. Hope this helps you out.

fortis Persicum

I'm Pretty Popular
24/2/13
Yes. With any mechanical or automatic watch, rep or gen, you should avoid changing the date when the watch is showing anywhere between 10pm and 3am. The date change gear may be engaged during this time and manual date changes can damage that gear train.
Always advance the time to, say, 5am, then set the date, and then set the time. (btw - if you advance the time past 12:00 and the date changes, you are now in am time)

^what he said

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Gen 2892's advance date opposite of 2824's. Should be clockwise for a 2824/36 and counter for a 2892

joe1119

You're Saying I Can Sell?
30/6/13
My date was changing at midnight until this past week, when I began to stop and start the watch once a day to play with the timing, it was a few seconds fast. Now, the date is not changing at midnight.

What I did was put it at 12 and 12 and than put the date to the day it is, than set the time. I did not know this is not good for the gears, did I damage something from doing this one time...?

Now have to wait till midnight again to see if its working.

hzzhangyu

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/11/15
can confirm. significant jittery if setting date during that window, portofino 2892