• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Setting GMT On a Seamaster?

d12bn

27/7/06
Just got my GMT Seamaster from Josh, great service. USPO delivered today,Sunday! Sweet! :eek:

So how do you set the GMT and how do you know what time to set it to?

Thanks

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
d12bn said:
Just got my GMT Seamaster from Josh, great service. USPO delivered today,Sunday! Sweet! :eek:

So how do you set the GMT and how do you know what time to set it to?

Thanks
Set the time to 12 midday (NOT midnight, there's a reason for this, as you don't want to be setting the date at midnight.)

Then, push the crown in one notch and turn the date to yesterday.

Turn the crown the other way to move the GMT hand. Set it to the time-zone you want, ie. midday is pointing straight down, a good start.

Then, once this is done, pull the crown back out. Advance the hands past midnight, setting the date to today and then set the time normally.

A little over-complex perhaps, but this way you know it's right. :D

d12bn

27/7/06
Thanks

So if my GMT time zone is -5 do I subtract 5 hours from the current time?

Thanks pug. New watch having a great day!

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
Re: Thanks

d12bn said:
So if my GMT time zone is -5 do I subtract 5 hours from the current time?

Thanks pug. New watch having a great day!
You add 5 hours, and that's only if you absolutely need to have the GMT hand set to GMT. I usually set it to my time-zone, unless I need to know what time it is in Thailand or England where my brothers are.

Highflyingclive

15/3/06
My GMT hands (I have a lot of second time-zone watches) are always set to China time... unless I'm in China. In that case, I set the GMT hand to the time in England.

Its handy to know if now is a good time to phone home...