• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Sellita movements in rep, copy paste from RWG

aneki

31/7/08
chefcook found something interesting over at RWG, copy pasting his post:

original post: http://www.rwgforum.com/topic/11215...n-reps-something-pretty-interesting-going-on/

Hello everybody,

most of you've allready heard that the availability of ETA movements is more and more difficult. ETA decided to only deliver to customers within the Swatch group from afaik 2011 on and independant customers can't get more movements than in the year before since about 2008.

In succession of ETA's decision even "big ones" (for example Tudor!!) are now getting their movements from Sellita, a swiss movement manufacturer that produces very high quality copies of ETA movements with expired patents. Sellita's movments indeed are at least as good as ETAs. Up to date Sellita offers copies of the ETA 2824 (SW200), 2836 (SW220), 2834 (SW240), 2892 (SW300) and 7750 (SW500) and allready anounced that they plan to widen their range of classic ETAs.

And now look what movement is in the new Patek Aquanaut rep:

PP-2010-02-05-08-05.JPG

A Sellita SW200!!!

Same movment as in some gen Tudors :)

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
Thx for posting.
Some of these movements have been found in reps short after ETA's announcements regarding the "organized shortage" of ETA ebauches.
It was even discussed to be the successor of the Swiss ETAs in the fake watches.

But we were wrong IMO and this Patek is an exception so far : Sellita is not able to supply movements or ebauches in large quantities, and the Chinese have made an excellent copy of the ETA 2824, 2892 and 2836.
So what is the advantage of a Sellita over a chinese clone ?

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
Hope springs eternal. Perhaps they actually assemble them in a clean room.

Since they need only be made from 50% Swiss parts to be identified as Swiss made, but may still be assembled in China, only better reliability will separate them from a clone. And we can't know if that transpires since nobody is likely collecting data on contraband!

jimmyboy

Known Member
4/2/10
Reliability and durability I guess? A swiss movement will be more durable and reliable than many.

What do you think?

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
Well the advantage of the ETA clone is that is takes the Swiss spare parts in case of problems. Sellita spare parts are probably scarce, and as mentionned it might be only half Swiss... :)

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
I own an Invicta Pro Diver w/ a Sellita SW200 engine. This watch is exremely accurate, has about a 56 hour power reserve when fully charged and has a great feel when setting the time or manually winding the watch. I personally am a huge fan of this movement . .. ...

huoyuehmok

Horology Curious
1/7/12
these movements have been found in reps short after ETA's announcements regarding the "organized shortage
g.gif

mike 8

Legendary Member
13/8/11
I have 2 Invictas also w Selita mvts.
SW200 and SW500.
Both keep perfect time.
The trend has begun...We are going to see more of Selita in the future.
That is a fact.

rubena8

Known Member
23/12/07
The SW200 has 2 more jewels and a better power reserve than Eta 2836-2

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
The SW200 has 2 more jewels and a better power reserve than Eta 2836-2

No, that would be the improved (and current) version, the SW200-2

Well the advantage of the ETA clone is that is takes the Swiss spare parts in case of problems. Sellita spare parts are probably scarce, and as mentionned it might be only half Swiss... :)
A lot (most) of ETA parts fit Pix and Sellita maintain a good spare parts inventory. I have had no trouble sourcing spares.

GrimReaper

Known Member
2/5/13
Which TD's offer Sellita movements?
I got an answer from Marvellous that I can get SW movement for $210 more. The watch is Noob Submariner V1 blue with Asian 2836 for $188.
But watch probably has some drawbacks, if these are big, Asian 2836 would be a better choice.
As I don't know that, I still have to go with Asian 2836 for my first one.

As for Swiss ETA in a watch below $400 (practically all from BP maker), these are probably all reclaimed movements?

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
Asian is fine, upgrade to Swiss if/when you want to or when the asian movement dies. FWIW I've not had an asian 2836 die in normal operation.

TimeWillTell

I'm Pretty Popular
10/3/09
Which TD's offer Sellita movements?
I got an answer from Marvellous that I can get SW movement for $210 more. The watch is Noob Submariner V1 blue with Asian 2836 for $188.
But watch probably has some drawbacks, if these are big, Asian 2836 would be a better choice.
As I don't know that, I still have to go with Asian 2836 for my first one.

As for Swiss ETA in a watch below $400 (practically all from BP maker), these are probably all reclaimed movements?
yes i believed they all refurbished or cloned eta movements, judging from the finishings.

I always advise my friends just go with the asian, until the it breaks and you grown to like it so much you wanted it come to back alive, get a eta for your baby!

John