• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

sellers refrain from newbies?

donaldline007

Getting To Know The Place
28/10/22
I am just curious if sellers on here refrain from newbies? Been trying to purchase but never get a reply.

domiffm

handsome
Patron
Certified
28/4/15
Germany
Yes, me for example. As a rule, but I also make exceptions.

Why? Because you often have problems with newbies.
They write to you, want the watch, but then don't get back to you when it's time to pay.

They often haven't delved deeply enough into the topics and especially different models. You often have to answer basic questions that they could answer themselves if they had read into the relevant threads. For example: "Does the Daytona have 1:1 dimensions and does the movement work exactly like the Gen?“. This is a question regarding a Noob Daytona... I‘m fed up with explaining the different watches and general basics to newbies.

Due to lack of knowledge, it has happened that complaints about the watch are made afterwards, which would not have happened if the buyer had been more familiar with the model.

Too many problems.

That is why for a long time now I have decided to only do business with experienced users with a history of good reputation. Most of the time these are users who have been registered here for a long time (several years) and ideally they are supporters/patrons.

Please don't take it personally. But if a user writes to me at a sale who has registered at RWI in October 2022 and has 2 (TWO!) posts, I wouldn't reply either and wait for a more suitable candidate.

Last edited:

donaldline007

28/10/22
Understandable, I have been on here quite some time just researching. Looks like I will have to look in the TD section. Thanks for you replies

Reactions: Buttlet

DandoVilla

Do not accept unsolicited offers
1/11/22
I think its probably worth doing a lot of reading, interacting etc and find out exactly what it is you want before approaching sellers. I'm new here too but I think people are probably active for a day or two while looking for a watch before falling off the website altogether.

If you know exactly which watch youd like and are ready to pull the trigger I dont think you should have too much trouble finding a TD who can facilitate. From what I know it may also take a few days to get a response too - and often responses land in your junk mail if on email.

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
Understandable, I have been on here quite some time just researching. Looks like I will have to look in the TD section. Thanks for you replies
Unless you are looking for a very specific model, I would advise you NOT to buy your first rep from a TD. Instead, keep reading, learning, and be amazed how many great watches come up for sale. Every watch I have is special in its own way, and I'm now down to one-in, one-out, so I'll be selling one of them soon as I have another special watch on the way. I still see at least one watch every 10 days coming up for sale that makes my hand twitch. The more you participate, the earlier you'll be in a position to buy a great watch at a discount.

Reactions: P..DR..D

PTwatchLover

Certified
29/8/22
Portugal
Also keep in mind that the more you read/post/interact, the less newbie you are and you'll have better changes that a seller trusts you. And it goes both ways. If you see a watch being sold m2m, you'll trust the seller more if he's not a newbie. At least I do.

RepPossessed

100 watches in the uk 🤌🏼
Trusted Dealer
10/11/15
N. Ireland
I am just curious if sellers on here refrain from newbies? Been trying to purchase but never get a reply.

Hey dude, im a dealer here and Il just say if it wasn’t for newbies I wouldn’t be in business.
People come to me for plain English conversation when they arent sure of the whole process or find it a bit daunting.
What tends to happen is newbies go 20 emails deep into questioning about a watch.. it can get exhausting if you also have a dozen guys emailing on the same day.
Big dealers just don’t have the time for that, some are processing 100+ sales in a day.

You will find my store as RepSource in supporting vendors section, I have 15/20 different watches in stock continuously and changing weekly, feel free to drop me a what’s app.

swhitehe

22/11/12
Well that has been my experience. I agreed a sale with a member for a watch yesterday, who pulled out after he read my newbie profile. To say I was disappointed was an understatement. (It was a beautiful watch).
The difficulty is being new to the forum, doesn't necessarily mean being new to watches. I've collected gen vintage heuers for a while, however tastes change over the years and I'm now becoming unhealthily attracted to Panerais. Given the current economic climate, I'm not in the market for gens, but the reps look so good for me atm it doesn't matter. I've lurked on repgeek for years and only recently found out about this forum (which is excellent btw - congratulations).

But it is what is, I get it. Hopefully over time people won't see me as a newbie and will sell.

Reactions: leo6929

Grapeshot

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
10/3/18
Wales, UK
When does a newbie stop being a newbie? This is the sometimes frustrating wall that some new members come up against. Some sellers will look at the length of time that you have been on the forum, others will want to see that you have had good feedback for at least one transaction and some may just not like the look of your avatar. :giggle:

My only advice is to give thought to the content of your PM in response to the seller. If you just write ‘I’ll take it’, you probably won’t get far. If you expand a little, while still keeping your response short, it may have a different impact. Your initial interaction with the seller will either inspire confidence in you or put him/her off you immediately. Good luck with your future efforts.

Eddio

Astrophysical Time traveler
11/6/16
EU
Recently purchased 2 watches here without issues. But i can understand if they choose to prefer selling to long time vets / supporters. Be kind, be respectfull, be patient and inform yourself on basic things instead of endless questions to a seller would be my recommendation!

lost-cavalier

prisoner of time
Supporter
Certified
5/11/22
Going by the caveats and terms attached to my recent TD purchase I get the impression they are used to dealing with first timers and accept its part of doing trade (standard statements/terms to accept such as being aware it's not 1:1 with gen and 100% accurate replica) and can now appreciate the types of issues if I hadn't spent the time (like I assume most do) reading through all the starting guides e.t.c. - I can kind of appreciate it and why I'll take some time before I'll attempt an m2m sale, I don't mind, trust is earned e.t.c. - have to say, I'd be lost without all the guides here!

Reactions: Eddio and P..DR..D

JRSub

Known Member
20/10/21
I have been through this. The best things you can do as a new member IMO.
1. Become a supporter. People see that and it matters.
2. Admit you are new, and trying to build a reputation. People will want to help you.
3. Note in your messages you have other ways to verify your legitimacy - EBay handle, etc.
4. Get a sale done with a Moderator and then ask them if you can use the transaction for verification. This makes a huge difference.
5. Be legitimately active in discussion forums. A new member with 5 posts is very different than one with 25.
Just my two cents.

Feefo

CEO, Vaselume (TM) Corporation
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
For what it's worth, I ordered my first rep at a TD here without being a member yet. The td was actually very responsive and helpful, the order via website hadn't worked out and we continued negotiating via mail. He answered by very nooby questions and proposed alternatives and explanations as well as further payment methods. It's probably one of the reasons why then I decided to become a member here.
It pains me a bit when I read of less lucky experiences that ultimately drive people away from this fantastic world.
Admittedly, when you contact a TD saying "hi I'm Feefo from RWI" that undoubtedly takes some concerns away for a TD who could, in theory, check who the hell is this guy.

Buttlet

10/11/22
Canada
Wow! as a complete newb i kinda get it but don't as well. I'm glad that their are trusted dealers that are very nice to newbies and like to do business. Glad I saw this first before doing anything.

Hugh Mungus

22/4/22
New York
I would say it really depends on the seller. Any big TD Pure time or a member that posted in M2M should reply within one day from my experience.

Reactions: Buttlet

nunyabusiness

Certified
16/9/21
Wokeville, USA
Completely depends.

If you're asking questions that make it obvious you didn't even read the sale posting (example, where did you get this, and it plainly says which TD it was purchased from), I won't even bother with a reply.

Or if you ask me to haggle myself. "What's your best price?"

mkkmkkmkk123

20/11/22
Yes, me for example. As a rule, but I also make exceptions.

Why? Because you often have problems with newbies.
They write to you, want the watch, but then don't get back to you when it's time to pay.

They often haven't delved deeply enough into the topics and especially different models. You often have to answer basic questions that they could answer themselves if they had read into the relevant threads. For example: "Does the Daytona have 1:1 dimensions and does the movement work exactly like the Gen?“. This is a question regarding a Noob Daytona... I‘m fed up with explaining the different watches and general basics to newbies.

Due to lack of knowledge, it has happened that complaints about the watch are made afterwards, which would not have happened if the buyer had been more familiar with the model.

Too many problems.

That is why for a long time now I have decided to only do business with experienced users with a history of good reputation. Most of the time these are users who have been registered here for a long time (several years) and ideally they are supporters/patrons.

Please don't take it personally. But if a user writes to me at a sale who has registered at RWI in October 2022 and has 2 (TWO!) posts, I wouldn't reply either and wait for a more suitable candidate.
This is probably somewhat similar to how watch/fashion boutiques work. They keep the good stuff for the most loyal customers because customers come and go, but long term loyal customers are what keep the business alive for long.

g00n

Cunning linguist & Master debater
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
1/9/16
Season 1 Episode 3 GIF by Martin

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Patron
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
My suggestion, as said above, is to sell yourself as someone who I can trust to sell it to. When I sell a piece, I always first look at the interaction with the potential buyer and decide if I'm comfortable with selling to them. As a new member, perhaps link other forums you are on to give a better idea of your reputation. I have and do consider selling to new members, but those who I do sell to (new members) I establish a rapport do decide my comfort.