• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Seeking recommendations for aging & refining bezel & insert for Tudor 7016/Rolex 5513 recommendations

erob45

Getting To Know The Place
11/3/24
Hi everyone,

Please excuse me if this isn't the right platform for such inquiries; I'm relatively new here and still acquainting myself with the community's norms.

I recently acquired a Franken TUDUR 7016 from Japan and I'm looking to enhance its vintage charm by replacing the glossy bezel and insert with an aged one. I'd greatly appreciate any recommendations for reputable modders or links where I can find such parts.

Additionally, I'm in search of a high-quality bracelet that complements the watch's aesthetics. Any suggestions on where to find one would be immensely helpful.

My deepest respect to the entire RWI community for its wealth of knowledge and expertise.

Warm regards,

E

dpd3672

Putting the "whore" in "horology" since 2023
Patron
Certified
29/5/23
USA
The short answer is, hit the bezel with bleach and sandpaper.

The long answer is that there are lots of different ways to add patina to a watch, and each one gives a slightly different look, and works to a greater or lesser extent, depending on the bezel and insert you're working with.

Personally, I'd recommend the long answer, which involves a lot of reading of how other people did it, and deciding for yourself what method is most likely to give you the result you want.

I know most people are looking for a quick 5 step guide that will give them what they want, but if you really want to do it right, you've got to put the work in.

erob45

11/3/24
Thanks so much for your answer. i'm 100 precent on the same page with you. Since i'm lacking the experience i would prefer purchasing from the experts here, the ones how know how to age and refined.

WatchN3RD

I supported. Doesn't make me an expert!
Gold Patron
24/7/18
Any pictures of the watch currently?

erob45

11/3/24
I hope you did not pay too much for that bezel insert
exactly my point. not liking its cheap glossy looking one bit. that's why i want to replace it with a better looking one.

Karbon74

Pika Factory
Patron
Certified
5/5/23
EU - Kalos Region
just realized i don't know where's the M2M section, new kid in town :)

Caboose

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
27/2/15
CONUS
Here's one I did. Straight bleach (must be fresh!), #0000 steel wool, and rubber gloves. Hold the wool around the insert, squeeze with one hand, spin till desired doneness. The steel wool will be destroyed as the bleach will rust it, and some of this gets transferred to the insert, but I love the end look.

erob45

11/3/24
THAT'S WHAT I"M TALKING ABOUT.
That's exactly what i had in mind. such an incredibly craft. PM'd him.
Thanks bud.

Reactions: Karbon74

erob45

11/3/24
Here's one I did. Straight bleach (must be fresh!), #0000 steel wool, and rubber gloves. Hold the wool around the insert, squeeze with one hand, spin till desired doneness. The steel wool will be destroyed as the bleach will rust it, and some of this gets transferred to the insert, but I love the end look.

Well done! I'm more into the rugged look, scratches and such than the bleach. but this one here is a beauty.

WatchN3RD

I supported. Doesn't make me an expert!
Gold Patron
24/7/18

I find that sanding often leads to some scratches I don't really want on a plain fade, but that really looks great. I'm definitely impressed. Any more pictures of the bezel?