• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Seamaster GMT arrived, pictures

Ibn_Hasaf

Renowned Member
26/6/11
Shortly before this thread about the New Seamaster GMT had taken life I had contacted WI (Not a TD here) about the same watch.

The QC photos came quickly and I was already aware of the GMT hand problem. For those who do on know, in the Gen the GMT hand is red to the tip. The rep is red to the lume and the edge is shiny instead of red.

I checked Ofreis and saw that they have replacement OEM GMT hands. I do not know it it will fit though.

The watch cam quickly even though I am aware that WI was having some trouble that I consider to be entirely beyond their control that began the day after I had approved my QC photos.

The packaging was great. The usual bubble wrap inside of a foam watch box. The watch is surprisingly heavy. The bezel is unidirectional (gen is supposed to be bi-directional. Other than that, it seems fine. I will subject it to come bicycle vibrations later today.

With all that being said, Here are the pictures.
vsasy.jpg

with flash

vtxlv.jpg

without flash

67sla.jpg

crown view

auivz.jpg

the back
y65eg.jpg

the clasp

67dzh.jpg

inside of the back

28rgb.jpg

anti-magnetic shield under back, note pin used for resizing the band

9a898.jpg

the movement, dealer claimed Swiss ETA 2836

wna8g.jpg

on a 6.5 inch wrist, three links removed

22345000-20.png

For comparison purposes, here is the gen, from Omegas web page

Rovin

Renowned Member
27/6/10
Looks the goods, but don't forget the bracelet clasp has Speedmaster engraved on it.

Mr. Pap

Section Moderator
Section Moderator
5/6/08
Very nice watch! It can be turned into an even better franken :lol:

TastyTreats

Put Some Respect On My Name
21/5/12
Never Land
I agree - I have read plenty of threads on the modification of this watch - Potential for something special.

Start searching for some parts they are readily available.

Ibn_Hasaf

Renowned Member
26/6/11
Looks the goods, but don't forget the bracelet clasp has Speedmaster engraved on it.

I noticed that. I think I would concern myself with the hands first. As I mentioned, Ofreis has a lot of stuff for this watch. What I don't know is if the Gen sec and GMT hands will go straight on.

For that matter, the second hand would probably be easy to correct with some paint, the GMT hand will be a bit trickier.

Considering the price of a gen (2-2.5K) if I end up really liking this piece I may get a gen; but then, I might get a stienhart instead (cheaper, very similar). This is my first try at a Extra Large (>40mm) watch. I am going to give it a try to see if I like it and then make a decision. as it is, it feels overly large. It probably doesn't look too silly; but, it does feel very large.

Ibn_Hasaf

Renowned Member
26/6/11
Having had it for a couple of weeks now I can say that it feels like a keeper. I was initially hesitant because it is such a large watch. I still wish it were offered in a midsize (about 38mm) case however, it is wearable.

I ended up removing the bracelet, it was extremely uncomfortable; I gave it a fair try but it just didn't work for me. The problem seemed to have been that the clasp was too long.

One issue that is a problem with the rep is that the watch winds as the crown is screwed down. This is not a big problem, it just makes it a bit harder to screw the crown into place.

I replaced the bracelet with a strap that was on my Citizen, it is 21mm; so, it is crammed on a little hard. It fits and looks ok though. I have an OEM Omega leather strap on order (and yes, I happen to like the crocodile grain).

I have worn it to the office a few times and it seems to have gotten approving looks from some of the women I work with.

Here it is on the new strap. Yes, I am terrible at self photography.
2pu7z.jpg

This is my first Omega style and I like it. I think I like it better than the Rolex reps I have purchased. For one thing, I always felt that the Rolexes screamed REP! This seems much more subtle. I Think it helps that it is a relatively uncommon model, even in the Gen market.

As far as replacing it with a Gen, that is still under consideration. The other possibility is to just franken this one and call it done. However, I do notice a few little things:
No SN on the case, should be on the bottom of the lug (essentially unfixable; but, it doesn't show)
Seconds and GMT hands have wrong colour tips (probably fixable with correct paint and a steady hand; or, correct hands from Ofreis)

Keeping in mind that I purchase GMTs' because it is actually something I use on a daily basis I am also considering, as mentioned, gen replacement; or, a steinhart GMT. Really, what I think I wanted in this watch purchase was a, relatively, cheap, reliable three timezone analogue watch. I also wanted it to look descent and to not be excessively large. With that criteria there really is not much on the market, rep or gen.

I considered the Raymond Aguste Cotton Club GMT; but, I knew a two timezone GMT would not meet my needs. I tried to find a DeBafure 38mm GMT; however, they are closed down (and there were a lot of complaints about their quality). I looked at a Gen Rolex 16710. I really liked it; but I just did not want to part with that much money for a watch.

Yes, I tried a G-Shock, I just do not like it for daily wear. However, it will probably become my severe duty watch. The only other real contender for my watch money was the Steinhart Ocean 1 GMT; however, other than problems in actually getting it, I was concerned wit the size.

Looking at this Omega, I think I can wear the Ocean 1; they seem to be about the same size. As such, when I return to the states (about new years) I may get one if they are available.

Back to the point, this one seems to be a keeper. There is some talk of putting together a good quality Aqua Terra, I will probably jump on that one as the SMP is, in no way, a dress watch. However, this one will probably meet my needs for a while, I can wear my FC as a dress watch with only one little problem (the problem is that my FC is on my daughters wrist).

Aero_Dave

28/1/13
Looks good and would be great as a Franken. Where did you get it?

Dave..

madmex

Known Member
22/8/06
It's got a nice movement, case and dial. You'll realize no rep is perfect, sometimes the gen's aren't perfect either! The crystal on this has a loupe effect, which is due to the crystal not being evenly convex from the inside--it may have a flat interior side, not sure. The gen doesn't have that, but some gen watches do, like Panerai. The date wheel font looks Rollie like too. I like that this watch doesn't have a He valve. never noticed that! congrats and enjoy in good health!