• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Seamaster 30 - advice

whatevs

Looking Around
9/5/09
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me a little advice on this 1950s Omega Seamaster 30 that i have my eye on.

There's a couple of things that worry me about it. Firstly, there is no Omega logo on the crown. Secondly, i've noticed that other Seamasters of this era tend to have tend to have a pattern of small circles (machine tool marks?) on the inside of the back case, but this one is plain.

Any thoughts (including any opinions on what it's worth) would be greatly appreciated!

366063360_o.jpg

366063322_o.jpg

366063440_o.jpg

366063479_o.jpg

whatevs

Looking Around
9/5/09
Looking at the movement i'd be surprised if it was a rep, but then you don't normally see an Omega with a plain crown.

I've also spent a while trawling google, and i've not been able to find the same watch anywhere else.

I'd just be interested to know what people think.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Looks like a nice rep to me. I found it on the bay. Thanks for answering my question.

LHOOQ

I'm Pretty Popular
4/4/09
I don't think it's a rep in the modern sense i.e. a Chinese-made knockoff. It looks more like a genuine Omega movement in a non-Omega case with a "refinished" dial. In other words, it may be a mutt, so bid accordingly if you really like the way it looks.

EDIT: Check out eBay listing #370310115814 for the same watch being sold in December 2009 out of Thailand. The more I read, the more I think I may be wrong about the case. I think it may be a real Omega case from the 40s.

The dial looks weird, though, judging from the finish and the design cues. Most likely not original.

katt

Trusted (Watch Repair)
Trusted Dealer
Vendor (Watch Repair)
14/9/09
The numbers won't lie , check the caliber numbers at the AD . However, I would say, based on what I see in the pic, that you have a genuine movement and a genertic crown .

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
Look at who is selling it. How does he sell so many vintage Omegas? It is non-stop. A few feedback's stated that they were fake. I say the whole watch is not gen. If katt says the movement is gen I will agree on that only.

Did the older Omega logo's have "clown feet"?

LHOOQ

I'm Pretty Popular
4/4/09
The movement is advertised as a Cal. 30T2. That's what it looks like in the pictures, though the Incabloc narrows it down to a 30T2PC, specifically. There's no calibre ID engraved on the movement, so it isn't a Cal.260. These movements are not particularly rare or valuable, so I don't think it's a fake.

Here's another interesting tidbit: Based on the Omega serial numbers list on Chuck Maddox's website, this movement would have been produced between 1944 and 1947. But Omega didn't introduced the Seamaster until 1948! Furthermore, the Seamaster 30 didn't show up until the mid-1950s, and I doubt a decade-old movement somehow made it into a new watch at the Omega factory.

I end up with the same conclusion as my last post: Gen movement from the 40s. Possibly gen case, maybe even the same one the 30T2PC came in, minus the crown. Fake dial, or a repainted Omega dial, at best. Probably not a Seamaster.

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
LOL guys this can't be a rep. It is either a 30T2 or a 260. Neither of which is supposed to be in that watch. Should have been a 267 or 269. But that doesn't mean anything as 'Inconsistency' wasn't a stranger in 1950. They could have easily used something else. It isn't like this is a Ranchero or something. And they also used plain crowns. In any case it is expected that a 50 year old watch will have had a screwdriver or two turned on it.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
I'm willing to admit when I'm wrong. Fakey thanks for chiming in. :lol: