• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Screwdrivers for your AP

truedis

Horology Curious
11/4/06
Hey everyone,

I have a question regarding the tools you guys use to remove or tighten the screws on your AP cases. I'm currently using just some regular small screwdrivers I picked up at a local hardware store and have managed to ding and scratch up quite a few of he case back screws on my watches trying to make sure they're tight.
What brand and sizes of screwdrivers are appropriate for these watches? I don't have any problem spending money on Bergeon stuff if that's going to be he best option but I have no idea the sizes of tools I'm looking for.
Ideally I'd like to get something for the caseback screws and something for both the strap and end link screws.

Thanks in advance,
Truedis

chris3007

Mythical Poster
24/8/13
I use this screwdriver. fits perfectly

usa6yre7.jpg

a6eteqav.jpg

yja2ypyp.jpg

send from my iPhone

joshualow_

19/2/13
Same..have tried using screwdrivers the size used to change links of Rolex watches. AP back screws have been scratched. Have stopped after trying 1 or 2 screws. Any way to polish them screws?

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Hi,
here is my full setup of "screwdrivers", and I will explain why I need each of them.
ScrewsSet_zps7091a724.jpg

Standingscrewdriver_zpsdce83e67.jpg

1.) Full set of Beco screwdrivers on revolving carousel. 3mm for case back screws. 1.4mm for strap lugs. 1.2mm for rotor and movement tabs. Others for movement service
2.) A screwdriver sharpener instrument (the silver thing with the black wheels). There is no use working with a dull screwdriver. But the blade must be sharpened correctly. I use this instrument, a sharpening block, a Proxxon, and sharpen nearly every two days.
3.) A self-made wooden screw-driver and pusher: just as a professional watchmaker does not touch the components he is reassembling on a movement with his fingers, I do not touch the bezel screws at all with a metal instrument (they scratch too easily). Therefore I use this wooden screwdriver to align the bezel screws. I make them myself from wooden dowels I get from watchmaker supply, but you can use your own. The wood BTW is fairly soft. The trick was borrowed from AP themselves.
4.) A bezel screw mid-lug remover. Need this tool for fail-safe removal of mid-lugs
5.) A small strip of plastic like the ones used to ship watches. I use this small strip over the bezel screws to avoid scratching them. Highly advised. Either that or apply a thin coat of liquid rubber over your 3mmm screwdriver.
6.) A small piece of rodico to extract bezel lugs from the case back.
7.) A bergeon 6767 compression bar remover. I find this useful for removing the bar of the cap and bar strap system.
8.) In separate picture: the AP Bands "Easy Strap Change Tool", a vertical screwdriver in stand. I find I use this quite often with strap changes.
If you are starting to tinker, invest in a good set of screwdrivers and tweezers first. Then move on to a good crystal press, movement holder, etc.

Pam-am

Known Member
9/7/14
Im waiting for my AP 44mm panda to come in from ken! cant wait, planning on getting a custom strap just for it. In order to remove the straps, is the screw driver the same? ive a box of those tiny screwdrivers, should be able to find one that fits?