• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Scored a FREEBIE Omega Speedmaster!!!

Steve2308

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Supporter
3/6/09
Thought I'd share a good news story.. (For me anyway!!) 8)

A friend at work had an Omega Speedmaster Rep... Didn't work.. rattled like an old car inside...
He finds out I dabble in watch repairs (Very simple stuff) and polishing and refurbing older watches making them look like new again.... (Love the Dremel!!!)
Anyways.
I said to him I'll take a look but can't guarantee anything... I open the case back and find an Asian 21J movement that has the auto winding wheel fallen off and floating around...
I'm talking the entire base it's screwed down on has come adrift, it's not working at all as two of the gears have gone into the movement and jammed it solid.

i show the guy and say look, It may need a new movement Something I've done before with both quartz chrono's and Auto Chronos... Not hard to take hands off and switch faces i say!!

He takes one look and says.. don't worry about it... you can throw it in the bin, or keep it.. He didn't like my chances.

So I go home and an amazing 5 hours later, And by copying my rep Rolex Daytona (Exact same movement) I finally get it back together and working, spend 3 days adjusting the accuracy and it's only 5 seconds a day faster than a quartz watch I have.

I should have taken step by step pictures as I went along, plus all the carnage inside but didn't think of it at the time..... :oops:

Pretty Watch me thinks!!
IMG_0638.jpg

Here's a picture of the Daytona with the same movement. Note the red arrow shows the "plate" that came off (two screws unwound dropping the whole assembly off the chassis) 5 small gears and a spring.
IMG_0639.jpg

Thought I'd share that....
Goes to show the best Replica is a Free one!! Never ever give up.

Steve

golem

Known Member
28/7/09
Congrats! Now you'll find yourself picking up a few new tools, maybe a used bench, some more tools, a quality caseback tool, a few more tools, a stereo microscope (for close up repairs, also to do micro photography), a bunch of repair parts, a few pro winders, some more tools, some broken watches on the fleabay, and then you'll be drawn fully into the dark side of the hobby!

Oh, and don't forget needing to change watches two or three times a day (just so you aren't seen in the same watch more that once a week :) )

/golem

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
golem said:
Congrats! Now you'll find yourself picking up a few new tools, maybe a used bench, some more tools, a quality caseback tool, a few more tools, a stereo microscope (for close up repairs, also to do micro photography), a bunch of repair parts, a few pro winders, some more tools, some broken watches on the fleabay, and then you'll be drawn fully into the dark side of the hobby!

Oh, and don't forget needing to change watches two or three times a day (just so you aren't seen in the same watch more that once a week :) )

/golem

And you'll find your PM box getting hit with repair questions because of this post. :lol:

Steve2308

Supporter
3/6/09
golem said:
Oh, and don't forget needing to change watches two or three times a day /golem

Too late!!! :oops:

I'm really starting to love this hobby!!!
I'm already needing a new watch box for all my watches!!!
And the tools available to watchmakers are great!!!
I'm still amazed it's still working!!! Yay!!!

Steve

rooster133

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/7/08
Good work and congrats! It's such an exciting feeling when you bring a watch back from the dead.

pcsam

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
22/3/09
Steve2308 said:
golem said:

Steve
im thinking of putting 2 of my winder/boxes up for sale .one is 4+4 and the other an 8+8
what part of the world are you in :mrgreen:
i also need a movement swapped on one of my reps

Steve2308

Supporter
3/6/09
pcsam said:
Steve2308 said:
golem said:

Steve
im thinking of putting 2 of my winder/boxes up for sale .one is 4+4 and the other an 8+8
what part of the world are you in :mrgreen:
i also need a movement swapped on one of my reps

I haven't even thought of auto winders... My current display box holds 6 watches...
I'm all the way down here in Australia!!!

Steve

Steve2308

Supporter
3/6/09
rooster133 said:
Good work and congrats! It's such an exciting feeling when you bring a watch back from the dead.

Thanks... it certainly is a great feeling!!! And to think it could have easily ended up in the bin....

Glad it's in my hands

Steve

Mobius

I'm Pretty Popular
Awesome! Yeah a step by step would have been really cool, but there is always next time! Maybe you could put a DYI tutorial up for repairs like that. I have a YM rep that is having similar issues with the winding wheel. Needs re-attaching.