• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Saved myself $375

omegagmt

I'm Pretty Popular
6/9/10
Today when I got in my car to leave from work, I always put all the windows down to let the hot air escape. When I did it this time, the driver side window wouldn't go down. All it did was click. I called my wife like a usually do when I'm on my way home, and told her what had happened. Just when you think you building a money pillow something always happens; it's Murphy's Law. I called the dealer while on my way home. They quoted me $375 to put in a new motor for the power window. $375!!!:lolcina:
I wouldn't care so much if it were the other window. I always see people opening their doors at the drive thru, and always think how thug it is and now I have to do the same.

I was determined to fix it myself and how hard could it be. Well, it wasn't hard. All the newer vehicles these days have everything that snaps on. Too easy. I just snapped off the door skins and took out 2 screws, and it was obvious what was the motor. Took it out and swapped it from the passenger rear side door. I even reinstalled the the broken motor in the rear passenger side window just show the window would come lose and go down on it's own.

I turned the car on to see if I fixed it, and presto. The driver side window went down. Awesome. I was scared to put down the rear passenger side window. Wasn't sure if it was going to fall into the door. I was too tempted so I pushed the button, and too my surprise it went down as well. Sweet. All fixed and I did it myself. Now I can go buy a $375 rep.

Camaro95

2/4/11
Good job. I tried once in my Camaro and failed miserably. Screwed up location of the motor combined with shitty engineering... yeah. I just send it to my body guy who charged me about 100 for it if I picked the motor.

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
Well done!
I've found the most challenging part of any project like this is mustering the courage to just dive in and give it a try.
As long as you take your time and try to understand what's what, it's rarely as difficult as you thought it would be.

dh405

Horology Curious
24/6/11
Well played! Did you tell the wife about fixing it yourself?

"Well, I got the window fixed. When I was there, you would never guess what I found on the floor! A new UPO!"

omegagmt

I'm Pretty Popular
6/9/10
Beleive me. I brought her to the car, while beating my chest with my fist like King Kong. I was nervous at first to dive in, but I figure If I screw it up I can still take it to the dealer.