• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

RWI I need your help. $10,000 - What are you buying?

jkent83

Certified
3/1/22
Oregon
My wife wants to buy me a watch for my birthday and for the first time in my life I’m struggling with what to choose. With all the great reps out there I struggle to spend that much on a single watch these days, but if my wife wants to encourage my addiction who am I to stand in her way.

So here’s the question: If you were buying a genuine watch and had around $10,000 to spend what would you get? All suggestions welcome, but for my purposes I already have a genuine TAG chronograph and Cartier dress watch that I love so I will likely avoid those brands. Thanks in advance for your help.

bhehe6813

Renowned Member
Certified
13/7/16
My wife wants to buy me a watch for my birthday and for the first time in my life I’m struggling with what to choose. With all the great reps out there I struggle to spend that much on a single watch these days, but if my wife wants to encourage my addiction who am I to stand in her way.

So here’s the question: If you were buying a genuine watch and had around $10,000 to spend what would you get? All suggestions welcome, but for my purposes I already have a genuine TAG chronograph and Cartier dress watch that I love so I will likely avoid those brands. Thanks in advance for your help.
IWC or Omega.

bhehe6813

Renowned Member
Certified
13/7/16
Grand Seiko
Breitling
Longines
Blancpain

All of those have really good models between 5k-12k. I recommend you spend $5k-7.5k and do something else with the other money (vacation, fancy tastings, etc) if you're just looking to blow it.

Reactions: jkent83

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
One of the reasons I buy replicas, is because I can't afford to spend insane money on GENS.
If you put $10K in your retirement account in 2023, it will be $20K in 2030, $40K in 2037, $80K in 2043, $160K in 2050. Do you really want to spend $160K on a single watch?
How about you buy a Tudor Pelagos for $2,5K, and put the other $7,5K into your retirement account?

Last edited:

Bersekre

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/1/23
Europe
I‘d go with a Breitling, Chronomat! I like the 44mm versions (Super Chronomat) with ceramic bezel and the ice blue dial.

But to be completely honest, I have bought a handfull gens for around 5-7k each, but in the Ende of the day it‘s just metal on your wrist.

Have a nice trip with your wife, a bigger party with Friends and Family or get mean motorcycle … something that adds value for life.

jkent83

Certified
3/1/22
Oregon
One of the reasons I buy replicas, is because I can't afford to spend insane money on reps.
If you put $10K in your retirement account in 2023, it will be $20K in 2030, $40K in 2037, $80K in 2043, $160K in 2050. Do you really want to spend $160K on a single watch?
How about you buy a Tudor Pelagos for $2,5K, and put the other $7,5K into your retirement account?
While your point is certainly well taken, it’s all relative. I certainly wouldn’t be spending any of the money I spend on watches, genuine or replica, if that money was needed for retirement, charity, or other things.

As I see it, saving more money than I can spend in my lifetime seems more like a self-imposed punishment than a virtue.

So as my grandmother always said, “you can’t take it with you and few things bring as much joy and utility as a nice watch (or about 20 in my case).” I certainly know I get more joy and utility out of my watch collection than I do from saving money just for the sake of it.

But I do recognize how blessed I am and do respect the point you were making.

jkent83

Certified
3/1/22
Oregon
I‘d go with a Breitling, Chronomat! I like the 44mm versions (Super Chronomat) with ceramic bezel and the ice blue dial.

But to be completely honest, I have bought a handfull gens for around 5-7k each, but in the Ende of the day it‘s just metal on your wrist.

Have a nice trip with your wife, a bigger party with Friends and Family or get mean motorcycle … something that adds value for life.
Thanks for the suggestions. Breitling is definitely in the running and I do like the chronomats. My only hesitation would be to get something of which there isn’t a quality rep. Might as well buy gens of watches I can’t get for a 1/10 of the price.

If I bought a motorcycle instead of a watch, my wife would kill me herself so I’m not sure I’d be around to experience the value it could bring to my life. 😬

jkent83

Certified
3/1/22
Oregon

Thanks for the suggestions. Breitling is definitely in the running and I do like the chronomats. My only hesitation would be to get something of which there isn’t a quality rep. Might as well buy gens of watches I can’t get for a 1/10 of the price.

If I bought a motorcycle instead of a watch, my wife would kill me herself so I’m not sure I’d be around to experience the value it could bring to my life. 😬
Maybe an Omega Speedmaster and a kick ass weekend away with the missus (or mistress, or both 🤪).
If the missus would give me a weekend with both her and a mistress, I’m pretty sure she could buy herself some purses with the $10,000 and I’d forget about the watch.

Blackieray

Flâneur
Supporter
Certified
11/12/21
Near the Atlantic
may not be your cup of tea....

APjumbo

Just one more
Supporter
Certified
11/1/11
Canada
Speedmaster seems an obvious choice but you said you already have a chrono.
Looks like you could use a gen dive watch or GMT.

Rid-dit-dit-duh-doo

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/10/18

Missing the all important diver in your collection! I'd personally go with a second hand Fifty Fathoms as long as you're comfortable with the beefy size, though it would still be slightly over budget.

treyhlb

Renowned Member
Certified
13/7/20
Straight up putting that $10,000 into VOO or IVV or SPY