• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

RWI Forum made me buy a Gen Omega PO...

Fortis

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/12/10
-Seriously! If it were not for the countless hours i've spent drooling over dreamwatches in this forum the last month I would never have have realized that I NEEDED an Omega Planet Ocean.
If it were not for the anal nitpicking bunch you (and I) are, I similarly would not have realized that a rep of the ultimate dreamwatch will not suffice in the long run as I would now be aware of all of the microscopic "flaws" of even the very best reps everytime i looked at it....
So there was but one thing to do..
And I did.
And it is your fault.
I am now the happy owner of a Genuine Omega Planet Ocean, and have contributed a lot of cash to Omega S.A. as a direct conseqence of the rep watch business and this wonderful forum of ours.
Paradox isn't it?

Anyway, as we have all been told over and over again: :ttiwwop:

-So here goes, a few shots of my new found love..

One watch to rule them all.. The new King.

Where the Submariner once reigned supreme the Planet Ocean has now taken over its niche and displaced the trusty old sub.
Don't get me wrong, I still love the timeless styling of the Sub, especially the 16610, but over the years the Sub has become the watch that each and every average joe shows off on the pub after a vacation to thailand or wherever. It has unfortunately lost some of its dignity.
Rolex aren't helping much either with their constant price hikes, being recognized world wide now as more of an accessory to show off wealth than a great timepiece. Quite unlike in their beginnings where the higher price of a Rolex simply reflected the cost of high quality production and not some instrument of market positioning.
- Even James Bond's stylists know this and now appropriately equips their hero with a watch that is the contemporaroy eqivalent of a submariner thirty or forty years ago.
The Planet Ocean is still an iconic watch, but not one that will have the Bond Girls ask him "is it a fake?" or draw attention in a "everybody look! I've got wads of cash" kind of way. :D
It is the ultimate fusion of rough tool and sophisticated dress watch, and as such the new king in the territory once ruled by the mighty Submariner.
(With the popularity of the UPO's the Planet Ocean might eventually suffer the same fate as the sub, but that will fortuately still take some years... =)

-Looks groovy on a citizen diver strap!

-The sexiest backside ever.. (on a watch that is... :) )

-Work of art!

-Hippocamp

-The Happy Feet!

-Nicer lightnings than a Milgauss!

-The coolest hands in the watch business...

-Don't turn on the lights, you can read their adress by the loom... (L.Cohen)

-Lume so bright it looks battery powered!

-And stays bright for a long long time....

-Sparkling!

-Horizon on Planet Ocean...

-I'm very pleased this rehaut doesn't say OMEGAOMEGAOMEGAOMEGA!

-Some designs are timeless... (pun)

-Is it a UFO? is it a UPO?? -No, it's SuperGen!

-"Oh my God! -It's full of stars...."

-To boldly go where no watch has gone before...

Omega Sodamariner

This ain't no oyster pearl!

-On the ROCKS! Not on the clocks!!!

-Timewarp

-Stairway to Planet Ocean

1eee.jpg

-Neon Supernova

-Planet Acid

-Helium escaping

:)

wiscrna

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/10
Frickin' sweet! Can I have your old sub, since you don't want it anymore? :)

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
It's plain to see that you like your watch LoL. I would too, congrats and enjoy.

sundance

2/4/08
INCREDIBLE pictures and an incredible watch!

I'm abandoning my franken PO project and going gen too!

Phil G

Put Some Respect On My Name
29/9/10
Stevenage, Hertfortshire, England
One of the best posts I've seen on RWI. Congratulations and wear your watch well.

I've got two PO reps QoS and Pumpkin. They are very nice, maybe one day a genuine one :D:

Good luck, Phil

rooster133

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/7/08
Wonderful pics! Thanks for sharing them. :)
Alas, I'd say I'm a Rolex guy over a PO any time... It's just not my thing. But forget about the watch... your photos are works of art!

drbollocko

I'm Pretty Popular
12/11/10
Congratulations, I've done the same thing, honestly we can nit pick about things that make reps visually accurate but you'll never get the fit and feel of a gen. I'm no gen snob but I echo what By Tor said in one fantastic post a few years ago......these gens are gettable....even if you are relatively poor.

Nobody is going to afford all the gens they want. Thats why the rep game is so brilliant, but on occasions something close to perfection like a PO comes along; thats when it is worth saving, even for a used one (about 1600-1700 dollars)....Its not an extraordinary amount of money. Its the cost of 5 or 6 decent reps and you'll get a watch that can last you a lifetime. It can also be returned to Omega every 7 or 8 years for full service (yes theres a charge!) and the watch is returned to you like new. Can't get that anywhere with reps!

Tbh the PO is a lovely looking watch, pisses all over anything Rolex have ever produced!
Enjoy the watch!

trksh-bzr

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/9/09
I imagine that you like this watch? :) well, you expressed that quite clearly-thanks for sharing those fantastic pictures-and enjoy your new gen

Daniel

Known Member
17/10/10
If it were not for the anal nitpicking bunch you (and I) are, I similarly would not have realized that a rep of the ultimate dreamwatch will not suffice in the long run as I would now be aware of all of the microscopic "flaws" of even the very best reps everytime i looked at it....

Congratulations !
I couldn't agree with you more. Its ridiculous to find yourself spending like 40% of the gen on a modded replica that is no where as close to the original in terms of quality and feel. This is after all a contribution to a wonderful company that has brought us and countless others much joy over the past decades.

Fortis

12/12/10
Thanks for all the compliments! :)
I'm kinda lucky that the watch i wanted most of all was on the affordable side of haute horlogerie, and even so it's a lot of money for a wristwatch. The only way i could justify it was if this were to be my everyday beater for the next ten years or so. and it is. with 600m water resistance, shockproofing and coaxial low maintenance modified eta movement i'm hoping it will prove a worthy successor to my fortis official cosmonaut day/date wich i will now honorably retire as a daily beater.
http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/fortis-official-cosmonauts-day-date-67231?t=67231

@wiscrna -no, I'm not giving away any subs :) - i still love them, I just don't always like wearing them in public as they invoke stereotype judgement upon me as a "rolex wearing" kind of guy...