• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

RWG.bz is currently not down any more. ;)

greg_r

Departed Friend
Patron
8/7/08
All,

Yes, RWG is currently offline. We're being hit by a DoS attack. A big one.

More info when I have it, but realistically we're likely to be down for a while.

DR3M3L

TECHMIN
Advisor
27/10/14
Good luck with getting it back up and running Greg! Keep us updated ;)

Steelfish

Hǝɐpᴉᴎƃ ꓭɐɔʞ ᗡoʍᴎ Ոᴎpǝᴙ
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
Oh shit.....sorry to hear that G.....what a bastard of a thing to happen.
sad-021.gif

Make yourself at home guys.....you're more than welcome.
respect-051.gif

Kleen

I'm Pretty Popular
13/3/13
I don't know how these things work, so I just assume the obvious answer is a 'no'...but is there any way to trace the origins of such an attack, e.g. country, IP etc...?

greg_r

Departed Friend
Patron
8/7/08
If it were a straightforward DoS, then yes, you can see where it's coming from. However, we're being hit by something called a SYN flood, which makes things a lot more difficult to trace as the attacking IP is spoofed. It's the digital equivalent of ringing someone's doorbell and running away - the server never gets the chance to identify the source.

We've been hit several times before, but the current attack is the largest we've ever experienced - we can shrug off low-level attacks without too much difficulty - and have on several occasions - but the sheer volume of this attack makes things that bit more difficult.

Del

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
15/7/10
Bummer mate. Hope you can sort this out ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kleen

I'm Pretty Popular
13/3/13
Ok, thanks for the explanation, Greg.

I wish you best of luck in defending & restoring our home...

greg_r

Departed Friend
Patron
8/7/08
We're back up - at least for now. The attack has slackened off enough that we can handle it. Whether it stays that way is another matter.

thedoover

Snow Monkey Ambassador
Supporter
Certified
15/6/10
When one of these attacks comes in, if too many requests come from the same ip in a short amount of time, I was under the impression that most firewalls will block that ip for a pre-set time period. Is this attack shifting ip's so quickly that they cannot be identified and subsequently blocked? Or is this what makes a SYN attack different?

Im a networking noob.

DR3M3L

TECHMIN
Advisor
27/10/14
When one of these attacks comes in, if too many requests come from the same ip in a short amount of time, I was under the impression that most firewalls will block that ip for a pre-set time period. Is this attack shifting ip's so quickly that they cannot be identified and subsequently blocked? Or is this what makes a SYN attack different?

Im a networking noob.

Google for botnets SYN