• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolexes on large wrists

ales80

Horology Curious
13/8/06
Hey guys,

I just want to get some opinions on rolexes on large wrists. I'm a pretty big guy, the 45mm planet oceans look like normal sized watches on me. What do you guys think of the smaller rolexes on large wrists? Too girly or still classy enough to pull off?

I've never gotten any rolex reps in the past because of this -- I've always stayed with the 45mm+ watches (breitling bentley/45mm Planet Ocean/47mm Panerai -- my current collection). Also, with an 8.5" wrist, would I need to get extra links if i were to purchase a rolex rep? I sent one of the dealers here a private message about it and his response was that there's a diver's clasp so it's not a big deal and i can wear the watch with the diver's clasp out ..........

ANYWAYS.. all opinions would be awesome! any other guys with big wrists and experience here would be great as well. I'd really like to hear your stories/opinions if you have a large wrist and wear rolex reps.

Thanks a lot guys! Hope to hear from you all soon.

Dewey Dog

19/6/08
I'm a pretty big guy also going 6'3" 230 (all muscle :D !) with an 8" wrist. Just started wearing a nice noob mariner. Do indeed need 1 extra link (forget about trying to use that wetsuit fx, PIA). I think it's worth a shot for you but must admit feeling that the Rollie is almost too small for me but think that's a fx of not having the extra link yet.

I say go for it but go cheap first before getting a more expensive rep.

JMHO

DD

cdzsmith

Renowned Member
22/4/07
CA
Having gotten used to large watches (Breitlings, IWCs, HBBs), I find I rarely even wear my SMP. I bought the GMT II ceramic, and haven't worn it out of the house yet. So, my answer, is no Rolex, but that's just me, and YMMV.

captainjz16

4/6/08
have you tried on a gen yet? it will atleast give you an idea of what it'll look like. i would assume extra links are available, but if not, i would want to resort to having to wear it with the diver's clasp open.

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
sorry,, I think it is too girlie.

If you could find a nice oversized Milgauss (43mm) then it would not be too bad.
I tried on a gen at my friends jewelry store, he was going to sell it to me for a small $7k.

I hope Rolex goes larger,, I like the larger Milgauss and would certainly wear it if I could find one.

I can promise you this,, if you are used to wearing UPO's and others that size, you will not like the submariner... I cant stand it .. just too small.

but that is my 2 cents... and I'm often called and odd ball.

michalis6

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
24/9/06
daytona4me said:

If you could find a nice oversized Milgauss (43mm) then it would not be too bad.
I tried on a gen at my friends jewelry store, he was going to sell it to me for a small $7k.

I hope Rolex goes larger,, I like the larger Milgauss and would certainly wear it if I could find one.

I can promise you this,, if you are used to wearing UPO's and others that size, you will not like the submariner... I cant stand it .. just too small.

there is no large milgauss. Milgauss is 40mm
unless you mean yachtmaster II or deep sea

swissaddict

Renowned Member
6/3/08
michalis6 said:
daytona4me said:

43mm Milgauss.. came out last year I believe..

brianmilgauss1.jpg

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
thanks swissaddict, I had the thing on my wrist.. lol.. I would hope to know the size of it before making a fool of myself in posting.. lol :lol:

but since when did men now anything about measurements! lol

sable

Horology Curious
15/8/07
Hi,
I have exactly the 8,5 inch wrist, and my "normal" watch is a Navitimer World. I ignored Rolexes for quite some time, untill I stumbled on Explorer II (white dial is my weakness). Decided to give it a try. Now, after a couple of months I can tell you I like it. It is by no means flashy, so maybe it is not the watch if you want "to pull it off", but it does not look girly in anyway. My philosophy is that you will never know until you try yourself, and in this case I do not regret. I would recommend for trial purposes you buy a cheaper one (there is a dealer here selling $90 watches with a correct rehaut - with a few exceptions many others have conical rehauts which is ugly-but you will build up your taste by looking at many many pictures...)
The problem lies elsewhere - used to big dials I find it difficult to read time on my Rolex. If you choose something this size and you are used to "normal ones", please avoid complications like a GMT hand, because at first you look to see what hand shows what and only then you read time. You then have to get used to seeing and feeling cyclop, so now I would be looking for a Seadweller which does not have it, but then it is only black dial.....There you go.
BRACELETS. From the 3 Navitimers I have 2 came from the factory with just perfect size, the last one from Ruby is somewhat tight. With a Rolex, I am sure you will need additional links. Try to agree with a dealer when you buy the watch, otherwise you buy 2 links for $20 and pay $15 for the mail. It is not expensive, but funny. But then, Angus sent me 4 instead of 2 (brushed Oyster with hollow mid-links) I may be willing to give them away to a fellow-big-wrist, hopefully in EU.
I am considering a 45 UPO now. On the SS bracelet, is the size big enough, or do you have to look for extra links as well?
Thanks and good luck.

michalis6

Banned
24/9/06
swissaddict said:
michalis6 said:
daytona4me said:

43mm Milgauss.. came out last year I believe..

brianmilgauss1.jpg

again this watch is 40mm not 43mm
you are both wrong

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
I will concede that you are correct. The official site lists it as a 40mm.

Please note that there are many threads across the www where people are stating they received 43mm Milgauss. My jeweler stated to me that it was the larger Milgauss at 43mm and not the 40mm version. I removed my 111H and placed it on my wrist. It was about the same size as my 111H.

Maybe rolex measures differently?? Maybe this model??? Maybe it does exist and is rare?? Maybe it does not and it simply appears to be larger than 40mm?? I have no clue now. lol

Oh well, I guess I will change my opinion to "I would wear this 40mm that appears to be a 43mm.."

michalis6

Banned
24/9/06
i own a gen milgauss that's why i was so positive
it measures exactly 40mm without the crown
it looks bigger because it is really thick :)

the only 43mm rolexes are the yachtmaster II and the newest deep sea that is not in the stores yet :D

swissaddict

Renowned Member
6/3/08
I've seen it reported as 43mm, even by some owners, but apparently the new ones (ref 16400) are all 40mm... It did seem a bit bigger than that when I tried it on at the AD last weekend, but it could have been because of the case thickness as you said. So, you were right :) And I blame the internet for providing false info!! Who would have thought that could ever happen?? :D

brobert

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/4/08
Wow, if you need 2 additional links on a noob you definitely have big wrists. What size strap do you use for your PAMs?

ales80

Horology Curious
13/8/06
Thanks for the replies guys. I don't have one of the modern planet oceans, mine's nearly two years old now, but it fit my wrist perfect right when i got it with 8.5" wrist -- maybe a little loose even. Got it from Josh around November of '06.