• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex DateJust 1603 - Help needed correct case / movement

cradle101

Getting To Know The Place
2/12/16
I'm looking to build a DateJust 1601/3, with gen dial and aftermarket parts.

I was able to acquire a gen DateJust Pie Pan dial (see picture below), with which I would like to build my watch.

I had the following set-up in mind:

- Raffles 2824 DateJust case with drilled lug holes
- ETA 2824 with DWO (both also from Raffles)
- Silver DateJust hands long post (from Raffles).
- Bracelet tbd

However, I'm not a 100% certain if the 2824 DateJust watch case from Raffles will fit the 2824 movement with glued on DWO in combination with a gen 1601 dial.

Raffles metioned that this would not be possible, but I don't really understand why this wouldn't fit. Does this possibly have to with clearance issues?

As I would really like to have a case with drilled lug holes, any tips on alternatives (non-gen) would be welcome as well (the 2836 case from Raffles doesn't have drilled lug holes).

Lastly, will the long post hands work in this case?

Thanks in advance for your feedback and any tips on how to best complete this build would be highly appreciated!

cradle101

2/12/16
After doing some more research and help from a fellow member, I can now confirm that there is indeed a clearance issue.

When using an ETA 2824 movement in the Raffles 2824 DJ case in combination with a DWO, there will not be enought room between the DWO and the bottom of the dial.
This will most likely cause the DWO to get stuck.

As I still would like to use the ETA 2824 movement + DWO in combination with the Raffles 2842 case, I was wondering if there would be a possibilty to get enough clearence between the DWO and the dial.I checked other relevant threads on this forum and elsewhere no the internet, but wasn't able to find a definitive answer on how to realise this.

My idea would be to use and additional, possibly ground down, dial spacer in order to achieve the required clearance.
However, as I'm using a pie-pan dial I also need to take into consideration the extra height it has, so I was thinking of using long post dial hands (instead of changing to H4 canon pinions).

I would appreciate it if anyone can confirm of the abovementioned would work (especially taking into consideration the specific Raffles case + movement/dial combination).

If this wouldn't work, any tips on how to achieve the desired clearance and/or set-up would be highly appreciated.

MatBat

Do not accept unsolicited offers
9/12/20
Sorry for writing on this old thread. Did you solve the problem?

karatekutya

Supporter
Certified
25/12/19
UK
After doing some more research and help from a fellow member, I can now confirm that there is indeed a clearance issue.

When using an ETA 2824 movement in the Raffles 2824 DJ case in combination with a DWO, there will not be enought room between the DWO and the bottom of the dial.
This will most likely cause the DWO to get stuck.

As I still would like to use the ETA 2824 movement + DWO in combination with the Raffles 2842 case, I was wondering if there would be a possibilty to get enough clearence between the DWO and the dial.I checked other relevant threads on this forum and elsewhere no the internet, but wasn't able to find a definitive answer on how to realise this.

My idea would be to use and additional, possibly ground down, dial spacer in order to achieve the required clearance.
However, as I'm using a pie-pan dial I also need to take into consideration the extra height it has, so I was thinking of using long post dial hands (instead of changing to H4 canon pinions).

I would appreciate it if anyone can confirm of the abovementioned would work (especially taking into consideration the specific Raffles case + movement/dial combination).

If this wouldn't work, any tips on how to achieve the desired clearance and/or set-up would be highly appreciated.
Hi! i also courious about the long post hands! Works instead of the H4 canon pinion?