• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex 5517 Milsub.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
The Omega Seamaster was the issued watch to MOD divers from 1967 to 1971. Rolex was approached by the MOD and asked to produce a dive watch with some of the same modifications found on the Omega.

The Military Submariner came in 3 variants: the 5513, the 5517, and a double-stamped 5513/5517. All variants had the same MOD specs: fixed bars, the tritium “T” on the dial, sword hands, and a 60-minute bezel. They were issued with woven nylon straps, in various subdued colors - usually grey, black, olive drab etc

Research suggests that approximately 1500 units were delivered, from 1971 to 1979 and less than a few hundred survive today in original condition.

While the three 5513-based MilSubs are very similar, their subtle differences are based on markings and date of release. The early 1970s saw the release of the 5513 MilSub, which is stamped with a 5513 between the lugs. In the mid-70's, the 5513/5517 began production, adding a small 5517 marking on the backside of one of the lugs — hence the term “double-stamped”. On the final variant, 5517 replaced the 5513 marking between the 12:00 lugs to simply read “5517”.

Anybody who's ever tried to put together a half decent Milsub knows it's not easy - cases, inserts, hands, engravings on case backs etc, they've all got issues. The Helenarou dials are nice, but the second hand is incorrectly shaped, their insert has some weird funky font, and the case is wrongly proportioned - stubby CGs, weird lug shape. Cartel cases have the wrong case back, and the dials, inserts etc are junk.

This build wasn't without it's problems - I thought I was getting a Cartel case, but I got something different - the only good thing was the case back, everything else was a problem that needed to be solved:

The dial opening was for a 27.5 mm dial, the HR is 26.3.
The bezel construction was not as gen, the bezel ring itself was way too thick and didn't accept the gen spec inserts. The crystal wasn't the right dimensions either - about 1 mm larger, with nowhere near enough depth to the channel to fit a gen spec crystal.
The crown guards were awful, and the whole case was oddly proportioned.
The crown tube sat way too low in the case, lugs were drilled, but the bars weren't welded . . .

So:

I widened out the existing rehaut, then made a new rehaut - I machined a steel ring to the required dimensions and pressure fit it in the case, it means a crystal with gen spec dimensions could be used.
A bezel ring from my box fitted on the case, and with some modding has the right profile and accepts gen spec inserts.
I took 1 mm off the height of the case which means the tube now has the right height in the case.
A movement ring was machined from aluminium to hold the movement and dial nice and snugly in the case, as the case wasn't made to accept 26 mm movements.
The second hand was modified to bring it as close as possible to the correct shape - shorter tail and more pointed tip.
1.2 mm steel bars were cold welded into the lug holes, I adjusted and re-adjusted the bezel ring until it rotates as the genuine bezel does - smooth, tight, precise rotation.
1.2 mm steel bars were fixed into place in the drilled lugs.

pMRIR.jpg

pM0Og.jpg

pMksa.jpg

pM2Zy.jpg

pMGiG.jpg

pMwIq.jpg

pMlX6.jpg

pMgx0.jpg

pMSZF.jpg

Final specs:

Reworked Mystery Case.

Relumed Helenarou dial, reworked Helenarou hands.

Phong insert, Athaya pearl.

Rolex 702 crown on aftermarket tube.

Low beat Swiss ETA movement.

Aftermarket crystal.

A tritium dialed watch of this age wouldn't glow obviously, but this is supposed to be a fun hobby, so we are allowed to indulge ourselves from time to time.

pMYir.jpg

Thanks for looking, and thanks especially to the owner of the watch, a truly nice guy, who has been very patient waiting for this watch - Mike, if you like the look of one of those straps, let me know I'll put it in with the watch.

Last edited:

Mikeodandy

29/6/16
I'm so so excited to have this on my wrist. @tripdog is a gem to work with and truly a master of his craft. Thank you so much for building such a beautiful watch for me.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

D

d4m.test

Stunning! A great watch to treasure.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

cpd2186

Runway Model
5/4/16
Are there 6 different Milsubs in the photos or 6 different straps....... All of them are incredible!!!!

Great job as usual!!!!

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Are there 6 different Milsubs in the photos or 6 different straps....... All of them are incredible!!!!

Great job as usual!!!!

LOL, 6 different straps - you may be the only one who has noticed . . .

cpd2186

Runway Model
5/4/16
My 5517 and 6538 need redone...... Will be mailing them to you soon!!!

D

d4m.test

Stunning. Eye catching build.

???iPhone??RWI ??

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
I'm digging the shape of those crownguards, excellent job as usual!