• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rolex 1655 STRAIGHT HAND EXPLORER II MK2

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Certified
18/12/15
Rolex 1655 STRAIGHT HAND EXPLORER II MK2

To my understanding this is the components:
Case : Phong ( aged / reworked )
Xtal : Phong ( aged / reworked )
Dial : Phong MKII ( aged / reworked )
Hands : Tiger Concept ( repainted / relumed / aged )
DW : PolexPete ( Silver / Open 6 & 9 )
Movement: 2836 GMT http://www.helenarou.com/
Bracelet: BP
Leather : Custom
Crown : GEN
Box : GEN
Serial : 2,9XX,XXX

The result a Vintage 1972 Rolex Explorer II STRAIGHT HAND 1655 Mark II Dial

Excellent Mark II dial with light creamy markers and early straight second hand. The lume on the hands has aged to a few shades darker than the markers. The watch comes with the correct silver open 6 and 9 date wheel.

I reached out to a friend on the forum and inquired about the 1655. This builder possesses extensive vintage expérience and is a Rolex connoisseur.
This Rolex connoisseur agreed to build a 1655 for me and he had complete « artistico freedom » with only one requirement in mind : to keep-cost-down.

In my opinion the 1655 is not your sub de-jour and I find it rare and exotic. Also I enjoy the size.

The builder`s suggestion was to omit the GEN Cal 1570 movement and GEN hands in order to keep the cost in check.
I concurred. Due to this the build came in way under expected cost.

If I obtain a GEN movement at some point, I might put it in.

Futhermore the builder completed the watch in 1/10th of the expected build time so I was very happy indeed when I was notified that the build was complete.

The final product looks and feel GEN, it has an amazing ambiance and présence. Its aged to perfection like Beaufort D'Ete cheese.

I cant express enough gratitude towards the builder for taking the time -and putting so much effort in sourcing parts across the globe, from the Orient to the EU.

Needless to say I’m very happy with the piece and will wear it in good health. For a few hundres $$ I have a unique and time period correct piece.

Enjoy the unboxing pics.

Xv59hju.jpg

DG1VU92.jpg

o7OY4eZ.jpg

CBxPreX.jpg

cVucxFD.jpg

3To4xYD.jpg

7B9GDIf.jpg

yZI0g0T.jpg

XYmoD05.jpg

The Explorer Family

iY9CSb5.jpg

dqT5703.jpg

The Casual 1655

DdP529Y.jpg

hT6XL90.jpg

Kk68sYH.jpg

e2lGgcQ.jpg

Xd25eQL.jpg

wqq66I5.jpg

gaxXV6D.png

Reactions: Therion666

DVNE

Respected Member
7/11/12
beautiful build! Wear it in good health!..

D

d4m.test

Holy Crap! That is georgous!!!
Congrats, mind letting me know how I can get one?
Or even a great explorer II POLAR? I guess those others are REP’s also. Just picked an explorer II and would love to pay some one to slightly franken it up!!
Apparently they are not great out of the box.
Thank you
Total cost?

Sent from the RWI App[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Certified
18/12/15
Holy Crap! That is georgous!!!
Congrats, mind letting me know how I can get one?
Or even a great explorer II POLAR? I guess those others are REP’s also. Just picked an explorer II and would love to pay some one to slightly franken it up!!
Apparently they are not great out of the box.
Thank you
Total cost?

Sent from the RWI App[/SIZE]
[/QUOTE]

They do pop up on m2m once in awhile. the TDs have them as well but with different case / build / dial. I like it cuz it rare an unappreciated.
The lume is sick, "I have you in my crosshairs"
This was very affordable.

tfltr6I.jpg

D

d4m.test

They do pop up on m2m once in awhile. the TDs have them as well but with different case / build / dial. I like it cuz it rare an unappreciated.
The lume is sick, "I have you in my crosshairs"
This was very affordable.

tfltr6I.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I want one built like this!!!
Beautiful

Sent from the RWI App

connie

Known Member
Certified
1/3/16
i m not really sure the bezel is from phong. look at the 4's : they aint flat. look like the regular cartel bezel.

Otherwise, it s a really nice built

369mafia

Resident Explorer Expert
Patron
Certified
7/7/15
Canada
i m not really sure the bezel is from phong. look at the 4's : they aint flat. look like the regular cartel bezel.

I think the bezel closely resembles the mk3 variation I believe Phoung usually offers the MK 2 on their cases....thin wide centered. @Saby could possibly share his thoughts?
images

I think it looks great !! You are clearly an Explorer II guy and it suits your collection nicely!!

to be period correct I would go with a folded oyster bracelet with the simple fold over clasp and the mk1 bezel ( yuki offers one very similar)

Great piece overall Wear it well!!

Saby

Renowned Member
24/12/15
I think the bezel closely resembles the mk3 variation I believe Phoung usually offers the MK 2 on their cases....thin wide centered. @Saby could possibly share his thoughts?
images

I think it looks great !! You are clearly an Explorer II guy and it suits your collection nicely!!

to be period correct I would go with a folded oyster bracelet with the simple fold over clasp and the mk1 bezel ( yuki offers one very similar)

Great piece overall Wear it well!!
It definitely looks really nicr, thr bezel looks closer to a mk3, but I'd rather have the 4s a little flatter.
Here's mine, its supposed to be an mk4, I might upgrade to a gen later...
2e169ad1b45805930d6f4b2155140d27.jpg

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Reactions: johnlogan

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12

I can assure you 100% that's not a Cartel bezel ring.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Great looking watch - and part of a great collection you have there !

D

d4m.test

Very very nice watch, thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

nuvolablue01

I'm Pretty Popular
30/5/15
Lovely build. Looking to get one built for myself soon!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

D

d4m.test

It definitely looks really nicr, thr bezel looks closer to a mk3, but I'd rather have the 4s a little flatter.
Here's mine, its supposed to be an mk4, I might upgrade to a gen later...
2e169ad1b45805930d6f4b2155140d27.jpg

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Beautiful, ordering one this week, my TD told me it is BP factory, not clear how the bracelet quality is on these. To bad ARF does not make one.
But I can always put a NATO strap.
Anybody know the best place to buy the latest build of this model?
Thanks
DNA

Sent from the RWI App

johnlogan

Mythical Poster
Certified
18/12/15
Beautiful, ordering one this week, my TD told me it is BP factory, not clear how the bracelet quality is on these. To bad ARF does not make one.
But I can always put a NATO strap.
Anybody know the best place to buy the latest build of this model?
Thanks
DNA

Sent from the RWI App
https://puretime03.com/watch-brands...lorer-ii-black-dial-on-ss-bracelet-a2836.html
https://puretime03.com/watch-brands/rolex/explorer-ii/explorer-ii-vintage-v1-a21j.html

There are unfortunately very few , if any great builds “off the rack” stock builds of this watch. You will need to have it build with quality parts in order to achieve any authenticity to the piece.
They do however appear in m2m from time to time. It’s a rare watch even in REP form.

Flaskevin

Known Member
31/3/15
https://puretime03.com/watch-brands...lorer-ii-black-dial-on-ss-bracelet-a2836.html
https://puretime03.com/watch-brands/rolex/explorer-ii/explorer-ii-vintage-v1-a21j.html

There are unfortunately very few , if any great builds “off the rack” stock builds of this watch. You will need to have it build with quality parts in order to achieve any authenticity to the piece.
They do however appear in m2m from time to time. It’s a rare watch even in REP form.

I really do like this model: https://puretime03.com/watch-brands...lorer-ii-black-dial-on-ss-bracelet-a2836.html

I've tried searching the forum, but couldn't find much info on the 1655. If you don't mind me asking, what are the major flaws on these reps out of the box (beside not being aged properly) ?