• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Review & reference guide of OMEGA Planet Ocean "4th Gen"

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
4gtitle.jpg

"Oh no, another Omega Planet Ocean review" I hear you cry. We have enough of these, don't we? But I have recently made reviews of all my new rep purchases and members have found them useful - so why this one should be the exception?

As soon as the 4th generation PO surfaced it has easily been the most popular replica watch among the members. And for good reason. Because of its overwhelming popularity and status I thought it deserves a "reference guide". I already wrote this guide a while back and just added pictures when my own 4th gen arrived.

Again I tried to link all essential reviews of this rep to one article, so you can consider this review a "PO addition" into my Omega Guide.

But let's quickly do the "basics" again: The biggest difference between the 45mm and 42mm models (plus the size and case of course) is the clasp. The 45mm version has the engraving "Seamaster PROFESSIONAL PLANET OCEAN" while the 42mm version only has engraving "Seamaster PLANET OCEAN". The 4th gen PO is a replica of the smaller version, and thus the clasp engraving is correct.

clasp_rwi-1.jpg

Another difference is the Omega logo placement on the dial. In 45mm version it should be further apart from the OMEGA text, and in 42mm version it's closer, which the rep tries to emulate. On the rep the logo is a bit too close. But I believe there are differencies between the individual watches. I've seen the logo actually go _over_ the Omega text in some members' watches, while it seems to be placed nicely in my watch.

dialdetail_rwi.jpg

The luminous effect of the 4th Gen PO isn't as good as the gen (naturally), but it's still the best I've ever seen on any unmodified replica watch.

small_lume.jpg

I briefly owned the 3rd generation PO (which was reviewed HERE.) It was an excellent replica watch. The lack of PLANET OCEAN engraving on the clasp and other flaws didn't bother me the slightest... but perhaps a bit "pale" orange bezel color and very dark datewheel font did. So I eventually traded it. Still, I can highly recommend it to anyone - as great deals of the 3rd gen can be found. There's absolutely no difference in quality, weight and feel.

I was without a PO for months because I only buy from EU dealers... and for some strange reason none of them were able to source this rep. But it was only a matter of time when I had this fun watch on my wrist again. I bought mine from a fellow member (Sevomd) and it was shipped to me from EU by Edge to avoid customs trouble (big thanks Edge, it's very much appreciated). This is the best and friendliest community I've ever been a member of.

box4g.jpg

The hands were excellent in the 3rd gen. They're a bit too small in the 4th version. But this flaw is hardly noticeable as THIS superb comparison pictorial by Leitztozeiss demonstrates. Another excellent and informatial comparison was posted by Cwai02 HERE. If the hand length bothers you, you can always buy genuine hands and install them yourself, just like Cwai02 again demonstrates in THIS article.

Like I said, the weight and solid quality feel is there (just like in the 3rd version). Here's the traditional review wristshot:

IMG_1257.jpg

Planet Ocean 4th generation is a remarkable replica watch and I suspect it eventually becomes a RWG classic like MBW vintages and "Bond" Seamaster. So it's another "must have" watch for all hardcore rep nerds.

More excellent and informational 4th gen PO reviews/pictorials posted by members:

Cwai's excellent, complete 4th Gen PO MOD & Upgrade guide is HERE.
Oldecrow's "different view of a PO" is presented HERE.
Cwai's pictorial of his 4th gen is HERE.
BigRedJoe's 4th gen is reviewed HERE.
Chrono93 shows his 4th gen HERE.
Rolexman's very good review of his 4th gen is HERE.
SubMan's nice pictorial of his watch can be found HERE.

color1.jpg

sub_man

Horology Curious
22/6/06
I'm waiting for you to review the new 45mm PO's that are floating around, before I make my decision on that one. I NEED a good 45mm black.. :D

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
Get me the 45mm version and I'll be glad to review it. ;)

sevomd

Renowned Member
31/3/06
Hey that watch looks real familiar!!!
Enjoy the watch By-Tor. its in better hands than mine. Never could appreciate it as much as you do. I'm glad it found a better home. And thanx to Chris(Edge) for helping both of us out, so that my Finnish friend could finally get the PO back on his wrist.

Eddy

Happy T

Renowned Member
8/4/06
Great review as usual By-Tor. It is indeed a great looking watch.

BTW, whats the fish's name?

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
Happy T said:
Great review as usual By-Tor. It is indeed a great looking watch.

BTW, whats the fish's name?

That's just "Fish". It got its name from the ex-Marillion singer "Fish". :D

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
sevomd said:
Hey that watch looks real familiar!!!
Enjoy the watch By-Tor. its in better hands than mine. Never could appreciate it as much as you do. I'm glad it found a better home. And thanx to Chris(Edge) for helping both of us out, so that my Finnish friend could finally get the PO back on his wrist.

Eddy

Yep, thanks to both of you...very much appreciated. I really missed having a PO.

eLiNK

2/4/06
Nice review as usual, By-Tor.
Thanks

BTW, anyone know if there's an ofrei equivalent in Europe, where one could get some Omega parts?

moggio

I'm Pretty Popular
25/3/06
I am looking forward to see a 45 PO with a good review on it ... :D :D ...nice watch by the way mate..