• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

[Review] Panerai PAM 5218-201A (Gen vs DSN)

unregistered

13/1/08
I am writing this review with a bit of trepidation as I know this is the grail watch for many a risti, and many a geek. Also, there is a wealth of information on this piece on the forums and I only just recently stumbled onto its charm, so please be gentle with me if I miss out the 0.5mm difference in lug shape, or 0.25mm difference in numeral drift :undecided:

Anyhow, this is going to be the stock 5218-201A latest version from DSN versus the Gen. As many know, the 201a needs to be upgraded bit by bit and I'll delve into what I know the mods are later on.

Front

00017423.jpg

1) LUMINOR PANERAI, though correct font, correct color, correct sharpness, seems a half size too large
2) Same for the logo
3) CG is incorrect profile, much too small/thin as compared to the thick lugs and shape of the gen
4) CG pin is protruding and rounded (candidate for a polish)
5) Crown is too thin (bevelled too much as I'll show later)
6) Shape of 6 is incorrect closer to the bottom. The gen has a squarish shape to it at the base
7) The 9 suffers the same issue as the 6 just inverted
8) The 2 doesn't have the small hook/clump at the tip as the gen, though the tail and sharpness of the cut in looks good
9) Mentioned before, the gen 201a dial has a satin finish. The DSN one is closer to a matte finish.

No AR on the crystal which is accurate.

Crown

crowns.jpg

Copied from my 040 review

As you can see, DSN's SS crown suffer from having the correct thickness but too much bevel on the edges giving them a visually thinner appearance and rounded edges

CG side

Dsc05.jpg

1) Incredibly thin. A good 1~1.5mm missing. No curved upper portion, not thick like gen. Better off polishing this and making it an A-F series CG
2) Bezel base is too thick and doesn't have the rounded edges like the gen
3) Crystal is too thin, doesn't poke up above the bezel

Profile side

Dsc10.jpg

1) Notice the bezel base again, much clearer here
2) DSNs screws are much too large. Gen like in that both sides are screwed in, but too large. Unconfirmed, but someone mentioned the gen is 1.6mm whereas DSN is 1.8mm

Other than that, I can't comment on the lug profile. It looks decent. Perhaps a bit short, but the downward slop looks continuous almost, the base looks right and there doesn't seem too much of an angle either. Please correct me if I'm wrong

More comments from w0lf whom I differ to for his knowledge on Pre-V PAMs

Another few things to note:
- Gen case does not have a pronounced strap notch, if you've seen the JF case between the lugs the design is similar. It's mostly in the very bottom of the midcase and has a flowing contour unlike DSN's case which has a very defined conical cutout.
- Midcase on the DSN model is taller because it's a multipurpose case used in all of his current builds including auto.
- Lugs are not tall enough, coupled with the thickness of midcase section they create a appearance of sitting too low in relation to the top of the midcase.

Back

PANERAI-5218-201A-PRE-VENDOM-5.jpg

1) Gen engraving is larger in font size. The model number look accurate though
2) Logo engraving is too small and sits further up. You can notice that the "centre" of the caseback is on the leg of the down arrow. DSN has it on the head of the arrow

Also, many have commented that DSN's caseback is too thin by 1~2mm as compared to gen. As I don't have any shots for comparison, do note this.

Lume

Lume-2.gif

DSN 201a on left, DSN 040 on right. 1sec exposure, 2min interval. No PS effects added.

Technically, a vintage 201a shouldn't be glowing at all :D But it still is pretty to see

Conclusion

Dial

IMG_2656.jpg

I must say the engraved dials though are stunning in person to see. I'm still mesmerized by it and love it more than my sandwich 111I.

IMG_2662.jpg

IMG_2663.jpg

IMG_2664.jpg

Upgrade options

Dial first, only 1 option. FishGoDeep on RWG, aka FGD makes some. Couple of versions out and the few I've seen look stunning. Definitely more accurate than DSNs. None are being made at the moment but scuttlebutt is a new batch may appear in May/Apr 2010

Crown: Multiple options. T48 stainless steel (discontinued). Opcrown is making new ones. Some older crowns emerge now and then like Palps etc. So you take your pick.

CG: Multiple options. Gen G~current series CG is accurate. V or LH are the next two best CGs to get, as close to gen as possible. Seadbo ain't a bad option, though mildly thinner than the gen, but not noticeably. Torobravo as well has one out.

Caseback: There's a thread on RG of a custom caseback project going on. Better engraving with a thicker caseback is promised. Only option currently available unless you do it yourself. Also an old version rep 201a caseback is available that is significantly more accurate, but these have to be hunted down in the sales forums.

Case: There's a project starting on RWG to build an accurate Pre-V caseset.

My conclusion? I'm going to be modding the hell out of this piece. Got the crown, CG on the way, awaiting an FGD run should it occur. I needed a base in my collection, and now that I have this piece, I can understand why it's known as the "Grail" for many ristis. The Logo has a special place in any collection and you should go get one. :)

alvinado

Watch Nerd
Advisor
27/8/08
Asia
unregistered, let me take a look at this piece :)

I am looking for a fgd dial for a long long time... and i am not sure if fishgodeep sells them anymore..

unregistered

13/1/08
For sure mate. Let's organise a GTG and I'll bring it out for you.

As I mentioned above, scuttlebutt I've heard is FGD is still making dials, but going to be doing them for other versions first. Potentially the next time a 201a dial is to be made is in May/April :) Till then, I think the DSN can tide me over :D

pcsam

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
22/3/09
nice review mate ...... if your going to mod the hell out of it why didn't you get a standard rep cheaply instead of an expensive DSN ????

alvinado

Watch Nerd
Advisor
27/8/08
Asia
This case has an old style screw lug:) 2 sided..

I not sure if the standard version has it :)

unregistered

13/1/08
Firstly for the case.

Secondly cause I want a 201a now, and no FGD dials are readily available :)

lan61t

Renowned Member
7/4/08
very nice review.

but from the looks of it, it's still far off from the genuine piece, and it would take a lot of mods to get it right.

unregistered

13/1/08
Yes and no. Two essential mods for me are crown and CG. After that, the dial. To be honest, the dial on the wrist is pretty close and looks fantastic