• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Review of the Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra Chronometer Mid size RG

Spboudart

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/9/08
I wanted to buy myself this particular watch for a while and last month I finally decided to take the plunge.

Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra Chonometer Mid size Rose gold

First of all, a pic of the gen, for those of you who don't know this watch:
23153392106001-30.jpg

and the technical data:
Crystal: Domed scratch-resistant sapphire crystal with anti-reflective treatment on both sides
Case: Red gold
Dial: Teck-grey
Water resistance:150 m (500 feet)
Diameter: 38.5 mm
Movement: Caliber Omega 8501
Power reserve: 60 hours

Now a pic of the rep:
DSC03485.jpg

and the technical data:
Crystal: Domed scratch-resistant sapphire crystal with anti-reflective treatment on both sides
Case: Red gold
Dial: Teck-grey
Water resistance: your usual rep standard
Diameter: 38.5 mm
Movement: 21j
Power reserve: your usual 21j standard

A few more pics of the gen:
23153422106001-60.jpg

BWCePZQ2kKGrHgoH-D4EjlLle-etBKVhlNj.jpg

BWCeGEwmkKGrHgoH-CsEjlLlzPB1BKVhIlZ.jpg

And a few more pics of the rep:
DSC03480.jpg

DSC03481.jpg

DSC03482.jpg

Before the last picture, most of you had seen the white date wheel instead of the black one, and thought that it was the watch biggest difference.

What the hell is this Railmaster close caseback doing here?

That's probably what refrain me from buying this watch earlier!
However, this piece is really nicely done and give a more luxurious touch to the watch.
If you think about it, a see through caseback is really nice on a rep when the movement you see is close to the original one (asian7750 instead of a Valjoux7750, asian6497 instead of ETA6497, etc...).
Here, we've got a 21j, and however nice is a 21j, it never looks like anything but a 21j.
So, all together it's better to have a close caseback, especially when this one is as neat as the one on this watch.

Who cares about caseback anyway? Ain't they the part of the watch you never see?

So that leave us with our first problem: the datewheel!
No big deal either as the mod can easily be done.

Let's now go through the rest of the difference:

The date window:
On the rep, the gold rim around it has the same width all around, while on the gen the left part of this rim is wider.

The hour markers:
The flat part of them is of a triangular shape on the gen as well as the luminous part, while it's rectangular and thinner on the rep.

The Hands:

The second hand has a pointy end on the rep, while it's squared on the gen.
The gen minute had only has lume on the end arrow, while the rep also has some on its arm.
The lume area on the hour hand of the gen is smaller and of a different shape.

The crown:

On the rep, this one has more 'teeth'!

The + and the -

+ The watch color are spot on (plated gold and dial)
+ The size is exactly the same as the gen
+ The sapphire, always a + even for a dressy watch

- The minor differences
- The fact that my wife don't like it

Now a few wrist shot to enjoy:
DSC03483.jpg

DSC03484.jpg

Conclusion:

The gen also comes in a full size (42mm) version and I wished that it would also be repped.
On the other hand, a dressy watch is often worn with a suit and a 42mm is less easy to wear with a suit than a 38.5mm that can easily slide in and out of a sleeve.
Anyway, I'm over all very happy with this watch and I'm sure my wife will finally get use to it!

Pix

Mythical Poster
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
Love the style... Looks like my Railmaster :)

guru

Advisor
Advisor
Certified
30/9/06
looking good and nice review, but don't you think the crystal needs AR?

mattytime

Horology Curious
3/4/10
(Newbie - just trying to get with the program on id'ing differences...)

Am I right that the crown is more ~countersunk (not sure what the right word would be) in the gen? This may make the rep crown appear, or it may be, longer?

mg

Spboudart

26/9/08
looking good and nice review, but don't you think the crystal needs AR?

I'm not good at taking pics, I took those on a cloudy day, the AR looks so much better than what it looks on the pics that why I don't think I'll do the investment.

(Newbie - just trying to get with the program on id'ing differences...)

Am I right that the crown is more ~countersunk (not sure what the right word would be) in the gen? This may make the rep crown appear, or it may be, longer?

mg

You're probably right but it's minor.

Alpha Dog Omega

Renowned Member
10/3/08
Nice review. Thanks for sharing. Had a Gen 2500 based AT black - sure miss that one.

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
Nice review Boudart. I love this watch in GEN and I agree, even with it's differences to the gen it's still a great watch. I know you mentioned your photography skills about the AR and I will agree it's hard to catch, but, with the aftermarket AR you won't need the skills. Trust me on that.

Congrats! :)

I think this is my nomination of Post of the Month because the OP took a chance on this watch knowing the inaccuracies. I wish more people would step outside the Panerai/Rolex zone and post a review on these less popular models. Kudos.

trksh-bzr

Mythical Poster
Advisor
25/9/09
ha ha... the wife doesn't like it..just tell her it's a gen you won in a rwi raffle, SHE'LL LOVE IT...! GREAT REVIEW, SWEET WATCH FOR THE DRESSIER DAYS!

Spboudart

26/9/08
I think this is my nomination of Post of the Month because the OP took a chance on this watch knowing the inaccuracies. I wish more people would step outside the Panerai/Rolex zone and post a review on these less popular models. Kudos.

Thanks!

It's always nice to have nice comment on a review and when it comes from the big bosses it's even more rewarding.