• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Green Day.. impact on music

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
Ok, I'm not that old.. only 30 so I'm familiar with this band pretty well...

So I'm sitting here listening to Green Day on HD Music TV and I am thinking about this band a little.
My thoughts....

I really people have not completely realized the importance of this band and it's impact on music. Their breakthrough really changed the landscape of music for the next 15 years. For me... the only way I can describe it is .. "United States... meet grunge/punk with a top 20 flare" They simply made it work. Seattle comes to mind even though I think they are from California.

Anyway,, there is my random thought for the day...

doctorron

I'm Pretty Popular
5/3/07
I must admit that Green Day probably reminds me more of the Clash than any other band. That is quite a compliment.

Dizzy

Advisor - Vintage Rolex
Advisor
Patron
Certified
15/4/07
Western Canada
yep greenday was a big part of the evolution of music as we know it. Ive never really thought about it before but you're right.

seank

I'm Pretty Popular
20/3/06
Not to mention it brought punk to the masses like no other band before it. Good Charlotte and Yellow Card owe their very existence to Green Day. American Idiot is one of the most important Albums of the decade.

Sean K

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
I am 40 (as of sometime in May) and I own 3 of their albums and all three get regular listening on my Ipod play list(s). Dookie being one of my favorites. If you ever get a chance listen to Tired of Waiting for you on the Shenanigans CD it's one of the best remakes of the song bar none!

Goofy

Known Member
16/3/06
I’ve always seen their work as overly simplistic and empty. I don’t care much for musicians that seem to do so little than play a few chords. Hopefully they are better musicians than that. When they are put up against groups like Dream Theater, Rush, ELP, The Beatles, Neal Morse or Queen they are nothing but noise to me. Maybe it’s my age, but I just can’t see many people remembering them in 50 years.

Roeod4

Put Some Respect On My Name
14/3/06
Goofy said:
I’ve always seen their work as overly simplistic and empty. I don’t care much for musicians that seem to do so little than play a few chords. Hopefully they are better musicians than that. When they are put up against groups like Dream Theater, Rush, ELP, The Beatles, Neal Morse or Queen they are nothing but noise to me. Maybe it’s my age, but I just can’t see many people remembering them in 50 years.

The Beatles played only a few chords on most of their albums in the begining. Not saying anything bad about The Beatles, they are one of the greatest bands of all time in my opinion. However, when I was learning guitar I learned many songs by The Beatles and Clapton because they used simple chord structure and where therefor easily learned.

The complexity of the music should not be viewed as the benchmark for the greatness of the musician or song. Smoke on the Water is one of the easiest songs to play and almost any guitarist will tell you that, but it is an impressive and amazing song by most standards. At the same time I can say that Joe Satriani (sp?) is an amazing guitartist, but I can't stand the music he makes. It is a little too self indulgent for my taste.

Not that I am a huge Green Day fan or anything. I do like some of thier songs, but I prefer other bands a little more.

Roeod4

14/3/06
domega said:

WHO THE HELL DO YOU THINK YOU'RE CALLING A...................

Oh, you mean the band? Ok, neve mind. :oops:

Gill777

Give me 47mm and sandwich dials all day
14/8/07
USA
Roeod4 said:
domega said:

Laughed my ass off! Glad that you got it! I'm 38, soon to be 39. I like and respect Green Day, but could say the same thing for Tool.
Someone is always paving the way for others!

Roeod4

14/3/06
domega said:
Roeod4 said:
domega said:

Laughed my ass off! Glad that you got it! I'm 38, soon to be 39. I like and respect Green Day, but could say the same thing for Tool.
Someone is always paving the way for others!

I look at bands like Nirvana, Korn, Nine Inch Nails & The White Stripes the same way. I remember the first time I heard most of those bands and it was like a light going on in my head. I knew for each one that this was something different and that it would be a new change in music. There may be people that say that there are other and better bands than those listed, but I look at each as paving the way for other bands in a lot of ways. Even groups like the Beastie Boys took music in a new and different direction. I give anyone credit for doing that, but the bands that do it without really trying are the ones that impress me the most.