• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Review of genuine OMEGA Seamaster "Bond" + general thoughts

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
title-11.jpg

Welcome to my umpteenth watch review.

First I want to thank my good friend **b16a2** who sourced this watch for me in the UK. Amazing guy, amazing member. I won't go to the details here but I can say that people in this community never cease to amaze me.

My watch is 5 years old but in absolutely PRISTINE condition. Thanks again mate and I hope I can buy you a beer (or 10) if we ever meet in the future European GTG's. :)

This time I don't even bother to attempt a traditional review because it's a genuine watch. There's nothing to say that people haven't said about this watch before. "Bond" Seamaster must be among the most popular luxury watches on the planet, and probably the most popular gen among the RWG members.
It's also the most important and most successful model for Omega ever (along with the Speedmaster Moon Watch of course).

And if you consider its popularity and overall "status" in the watch world, it's actually perverse and weird that it doesn't cost more. It's every bit as well finished as my Rolex, just three times cheaper in the preowned market. Definitely a genuine bargain (no pun). The achievements of the "Bond" Seamaster don't surprise me one bit... even without connection to Bond movies this watch would be desirable. It's very unique and handsome watch.

2-11.jpg

I used to own a replica of this watch. I had it in my possession for 4 full years and traded it this spring to a fellow RWG member, sbreene. Wear it well Sean, it's a "special" piece.

I guess it's safe to say that I've worn this watch model more than any other watch in my collection. So in many ways this is not a "new" watch for me at all. Just an "upgrade".

I like the "Electric Blue" version a lot, and also the black SMP Professional (GMT and non-GMT) a lot but this "Bond" model was the only one I have seriously considered. The "Speedy" bracelet that Omega uses on its other SMP models isn't even nearly as desirable as the Bond bracelet. The bracelet, however, was replicated amazingly well on the old replica model. It was virtually 95%. I knew this of course, but it's still amazing how close it was. Unfortunately the bracelets of the new rep versions aren't as good.

After getting regular wrist time for 4+ years, this model didn't lost its appeal for me at all. Just like my previous 2 gen purchases, Aquaracer Chronograph and Rolex GMT Master II (both got "rep tested" as well), this is definitely something that I will keep for good. I always knew I was going to purchase the gen eventually. I have said it before and I'll say it again: Reps are perfect to "get to know" the model... and test whether some model has a long term appeal or not.

5-4.jpg

If the SMP rep had a shortcoming, it's the wave pattern on the dial. It wasn't apparent enough. However, replica of the Bond chronograph is much better in this regard, and also overall it's more accurate replication. I also have that chrono (rep) still in my collection and I love it just as much as the regular version.

In certain lighting the wave pattern is really, really strong on the gen.

1-9.jpg

SMP is "only" 42mm so it's perfectly balanced watch. I would say it's a big and bulky watch but today's standards are different. Perfect size for a sports watch, imho.

wristie.jpg

Are the gens worth it, and does the rep make any sense?

Well this is an interesting question, isn't it? I love reps as much as ever, but I don't really see a point of spending $350 for a rep (or $600 on a franken) of a watch that can be obtained for as low as ca. $1K - $1.3K preowned. The quartz version of this watch can be found for $600. Yes, it's "only" a quartz but it's still genuine, and something that you can proudly leave to your son (for example).

Now that the economy took a dive all around the US and EU, some very desirable models like Omega Seamaster, Breitling SuperOcean and TAG Aquaracer Chronograph are all 1K+ watches preowned. I already own 2 out of 3 as gens, and most likely SFSO blue will be my next gen purchase.

The rep factories/dealers must wake up and smell the coffee. Asking $400 + shipping for a SFSO rep isn't insanity... but buying one certainly is. Don't be a moron. I encourage you to take a look at places like TZ sales corner and witness yourself how great watches can be found for $1K (and even $600) now.

By all means, buy expensive reps of $5K watches like sports Rolexes, TT BCE, Ebel BTR or Zenith... or real high end pieces like Breguet, VC or Patek... but before you purchase ETA/7750-based standard TAGs, Breitlings and Omegas, follow the prices and at least seriously consider buying a gen.

I'm not saying this because I've become a "gen snob". I will never become one... reps are much more fascinating and some of them impress me even more than gens. But it's all common sense. The rep prices have reached a point where buying forgeries of "low end" luxury watches doesn't make any sense anymore (imho). I'm not pointing fingers at the dealers and/or factories, just stating the facts.

But of course, it's partly a personal preference and I used to think differently. My old SMP replica had 85% "quality feel" of the gen, and it was visually very, very close. That last 15% will cost you $700 - $800. I admit it's still a lot of money. A ridiculous amount of money for a watch (for any non-WIS type). But then again my ETA SMP was a $175 watch back in early 2005 when the prices were still reasonable.

Either way, when I look at all the small details and that 15% (which was previously missing) I'm really happy. Maybe I'm buying gens because after owning 50+ reps, I have reached a point where I know exactly what watches I want to have in my collection (long term). I have probably reached the "second level" of WISdom as well. :D

Hope you enjoyed this quick article.

wallp.jpg

sconehead

I'm Pretty Popular
3/12/07
Your quite correct By-Tor, gen watches will never be cheaper to buy than they are now. Boxes, papers and recent service?

A previously owned SMP is the most bang for the buck model you can buy, great purchase and those who know you know you aren't a gen snob.... :wink:

D

d4m.test

I was made a very interesting offer by an Omega AD the other day... Trade in my 3 year old 16610 for a 2531.80 and a 2210.51.00 and $500 cash to me.
I was shocked that the Omega dealer would make such an offer. Both watches were pre-owned in like new condition with all boxes and papers and warranty.
All I had to do was go home and get the boxes for the 16610 and come back.
I thought about it, and thought about it, and thought about it some more... and passed on the deal. Now I sit here wondering why, I havent worn the 16610 in nearly 18 months.
I really need to get myself a 2531.80... I love the watch, and they really are a great bargain.

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
sconehead said:
Your quite correct By-Tor, gen watches will never be cheaper to buy than they are now. Boxes, papers and recent service?

Yes. Check on all three. ;)

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
frank134 said:
Nice watch and good tip. Also I couldnt agree more that the rep world is an excellent way to narrow down your preferences. You mention Rolex. If you where to buy say a black sub date, would you then go for preowned? Do you think prices for a preowned are so high that you would pay that extra money and get it brand new instead?

I would ALWAYS go for preowned... stainless steel Sub and GMT are the most desirable models (besides Daytona of course) and they usually depreciate to around $4K. After that they will not depreciate much at all... except now when there's a financial crisis everywhere.

You can get preowned 16710 and 16610 now for even as low as $3.6K with all papers. I seriously doubt they'll ever go lower than that. When the watches become say, 15-20 years old, their value will only increase. This applies to Submariner, GMT Master and Daytona (and perhaps even current model Explorer II). History has proved it many times.

Preowneds are definitely the way to go... and it has never been more buyer's market than now.

RWIGWH

RWI's Great White Hope
Supporter
10/2/07
Great review By-Tor. Thank you. Isn't it funny how a pre owned gen is becoming a better deal than a replica in many cases. IMO, the rep dealers are walking a fine line of out (and over) pricing themselves to an educated buyer.

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
CARLSBADROLEX said:
I really need to get myself a 2531.80... I love the watch, and they really are a great bargain.

Agreed. Probably the best watch you can buy for $1K - $1.2K.

People say Oris... yeah... Oris makes great watches but they're not Omega.

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
<-MrZoSo-> said:
Great review By-Tor. Thank you. Isn't it funny how a pre owned gen is becoming a better deal than a replica in many cases. IMO, the rep dealers are walking a fine line of out (and over) pricing themselves to an educated buyer.

Indeed. I know many dealers very well... they're just doing their job and trying to earn their living. Nothing wrong with that. But I've always written everything for the membership... thus... I guess it's official... I'm not supporting the current price policy.

But then again no one with more than 2 functioning brain cells could support that... $400 + shipping for a replication of a $1K gen. No matter how good the reps have become... that's still pure insanity!

tenshin2002

3/1/09
By-Tor said:
[quote="<-MrZoSo->":u6638syf]Great review By-Tor. Thank you. Isn't it funny how a pre owned gen is becoming a better deal than a replica in many cases. IMO, the rep dealers are walking a fine line of out (and over) pricing themselves to an educated buyer.

Indeed. I know many dealers very well... they're just doing their job and trying to earn their living. Nothing wrong with that. But I've always written everything for the membership... thus... I guess it's official... I'm not supporting the current price policy.

But then again no one with more than 2 functioning brain cells could support that... $400 + shipping for a replication of a $1K gen. No matter how good the reps have become... that's still pure insanity![/quote:u6638syf]
Thats for the "Ultimate" BS.
Thank god theres still some dealers with a sane price point.

I love the SMP, will get a gen. No questions about it!

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
I was bored so I updated this review with some new photos.

Enjoy (again?) ;)

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
Very nice review ... thanks. IMO, a fully serviced carefully used Omega is one of the best deals on the market today .... When properly taken care of, you won't lose a dime on these watches !