• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Review: 5167 The Watch Mansion

GlizzyGoblin

Supporter
4/3/20
CONUS
Hey group, dropping some photos and a brief summary of my experience with TWM here on a recent 5167 order.

TLDR: Solid experience with a 9/10 rating and will certainly be ordering again down the line.

I contacted TWM in May with regards to a SS 5167 modded build. We've all seen their posts on this forum and the work speaks for itself. While a bit pricier than other vendors and individuals you may know or be able to find, the process is streamlined and easy, the timeline is quick, and for the less knowledgeable members like myself, they provided a safe space with minimal effort required. After answering 10000 of my questions, they couldn't have been nicer, more patient, or more professional. I certainly want to shout out and offer my appreciation for the educating part of my experience. I funded the order by wire transfer (limited payment options available but that was no bother) end of May and they went to work.

Order details (without price out of respect for the vendor and changing market conditions)

Patek Philippe 5167 Aquanaut Grey Dial with rubber strap

3KF Base watch
SW Grey Dial
SW Hands
Buff DateWheel
Install & Align SW or Buff parts - (hands, dial & datewheel)
Watch Thinning Mod
Rebrushing for case and bezel
Case Reshaped and removal of dividing lines Mod
Full movement servicing done with proper cleaning, greasing and regulation of parts
Waterproof and pressure test
Upgrade to Engraved Movement
FedEX Shipping

TWM made the process quick and easy. The watch QC photos were sent to me in the beginning of July (roughly 7-8 weeks total). They then sent the watch via FedEx and I had it in my hands about 5 business days later. I am no expert and definitely don't have the eye some of you have. But I think the watch is gorgeous. I've been wanting a 5167 for quite some time and it really lives up to the hype. It runs very well... Silent as can be. It looks great on a wrist in a sporty or more dressed up setting. And while I was on the fence regarding the watch thinning mod, it really made such a huge difference in overall feel and presentation. Definitely recommend. Photos are below.

I will end on one note which is that the DW is not properly aligned and kind of a bummer after spending so much money on this piece. Obviously these are reps, not gen, and we have to account for that and be ok with that. However when you go to lengths to do a modded build, a misaligned dw is an obvious flaw and something I'd have hoped would not be the case. The DW was aligned well in the QC photos. It also is properly aligned when you manually set. However each day upon changing it gets thrown off slightly as you can see in the photo below. I will be fixing this to be totally happy with the watch, but it is unfortunately the reason for a 9/10 here and not 10/10. Otherwise like I said, excellent overall experience and will certainly be ordering again.

Feel free to dm with any questions.

vladoarsov

Getting To Know The Place
23/1/24
The watch looks great, I am sure someone with a "better" eye will appreciate this more than me.

If I were you, The Watch Mansion would get a 7/10 but that's just me. A missalignment of the datewheel is a pretty big miss in my book. Offering services such as these and I am sure at a nice expense, getting the DW alignment is a must. Then again, we are different people with different opinions and that is just fine.

Wear the watch in good health, with or without DW alignment :)

Baccaracca669

Known Member
Supporter
Patron
Certified
25/11/23
Kent, UK
Thanks for the great review, watch looks great! I have the same build parts wise, (not done by the Watch Mansion) without the case work - my dw is the same, perhaps its an annoying flaw with this watch and SW parts set up? A little tweak manually can sort it out as you say, but it’s frustrating I appreciate. Not to mention the movement, I had the stem just snap off and I found it a pain to get replacement parts…

Still, I love the watch. I can see why you gave the WM 10/10 from reading your review, the watch looks and feels great on the wrist and a really important factor when buying a watch build like this - customer service - sounds like it was superb, which means a lot. I’ve had great experiences dealing with builders on here, and I’ve also had someone tell me bluntly to essentially go somewhere else if I had any questions as they aren’t the type of person who answers questions to prospective buyers…. Totally perplexing for a serious buyer considering an $8000+ build, aren’t we supposed to be a community of watch enthusiasts who take passion in sharing our knowledge with others?!

I’m really pleased you posted this, as I’ve been considering TWM for an AP build, and this review has been really great to help me decide. So thank you.

Enjoy the watch pal!

Reactions: TWM Concierge 1

Watch doc

Getting To Know The Place
Supporter
Certified
10/3/22
Thanks for the great review, watch looks great! I have the same build parts wise, (not done by the Watch Mansion) without the case work - my dw is the same, perhaps its an annoying flaw with this watch and SW parts set up? A little tweak manually can sort it out as you say, but it’s frustrating I appreciate. Not to mention the movement, I had the stem just snap off and I found it a pain to get replacement parts…

Still, I love the watch. I can see why you gave the WM 10/10 from reading your review, the watch looks and feels great on the wrist and a really important factor when buying a watch build like this - customer service - sounds like it was superb, which means a lot. I’ve had great experiences dealing with builders on here, and I’ve also had someone tell me bluntly to essentially go somewhere else if I had any questions as they aren’t the type of person who answers questions to prospective buyers…. Totally perplexing for a serious buyer considering an $8000+ build, aren’t we supposed to be a community of watch enthusiasts who take passion in sharing our knowledge with others?!

I’m really pleased you posted this, as I’ve been considering TWM for an AP build, and this review has been really great to help me decide. So thank you.

Enjoy the watch pal!
I also purchased a 5167 and just received very happy, I’ve purchased previously from AMF and I think the quality and customer service not to mention the turn around time is superior.

Reactions: TWM Concierge 1