• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Resizing a PO bracelet is infuriating...

RobbDizzle

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/10
Trying to resize my PO bracelet today was an exercise in frustration. I knew it was going to be tricky, and I knew that I should ideally have a link press. However, I've done all of my other watches myself on my humble workbench, and I didn't see a reason why I couldn't do the PO. I must say, the link pin system used is frustrating to work with. Short of taking it to get sized or buying a press, anyone have any tips?

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
You should take it to a jeweler. Which model PO is it for?

markh

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
14/1/10
All you need is a small (jewelers) hammer and something smaller than the diameter of the pin to drive it out of the sleeve. Ideally, a set of pin removal tools. You put the tool against the pin and hit it gently with the hammer and it comes right out. Then the sleeve will fall out. I did it and it took maybe 10 minutes to remove a couple of links.

There's something to be said for having the right tool for the job...

Also, no one has mentioned this but... They only come out one direction. If you try to push it out the wrong side, well, that's not good.

RobbDizzle

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/10
I just resized my SA and it took me 5 minutes :)

Same with my SOSF ;)

You should take it to a jeweler. Which model PO is it for?

It's a 42mm 21J PO...nothing special I guess.

You need a .8mm pusher that is long enough to completely push it out. You get them from Watchbitz.

I was using the pointed end of my springbar tool to push it out, and then a very small jeweler's screwdriver to push out the locking tube. Thanks for the tip!

All you need is a small (jewelers) hammer and something smaller than the diameter of the pin to drive it out of the sleeve. Ideally, a set of pin removal tools. You put the tool against the pin and hit it gently with the hammer and it comes right out. Then the sleeve will fall out. I did it and it took maybe 10 minutes to remove a couple of links.

There's something to be said for having the right tool for the job...

Also, no one has mentioned this but... They only come out one direction. If you try to push it out the wrong side, well, that's not good.

I pretty much improvised the same process with the aforementioned screwdriver. I had no idea they came out in one direction though! I tried pushing on both sides but stopped when I encountered resistance, and flipped to the other side. It worked out OK, but very time-consuming and frustrating is all.