• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Report from HK and Shenzhen

brendonjohnliew

You're Saying I Can Sell?
8/1/07
Wonderful reading, i almost felt like I was reading a blog. Anyway Taiji, where are you from? Cos if you could bargain and talk to anybody in SZ, you are probably very conversant in Mandarin.

jiro

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
10/12/06
wow~ very nice post!
god...it makes me want to go there SO~BAD!
:cry:

hava

You're Saying I Can Sell?
19/11/06
i stay in november in HK and in guanzhou

In June i went to Thailand, to Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai in all the replica was bad, i ask for more quality but hadn´t it. I went to Birmania (Myanmar) there we found the same bad replicas, but i saw quality replicas that i don´t buy.
In November i went to Pekin, Xian, Shanguai, HK, Guanzhou. I read that Guanzhou was the best place to buy watches, and then i wait for buying. Only in Pekin i see some watches with quality in the silk market, but you need to ask. In HK i don´t seek, i stay already there and i knew that the price is high, and need go to office in the buildings.
When i go to Guanzhou i went two days to Watch Market (near of railway station) was increible. There is a lot of buildings with a lot of shops, and a lot of watches (shit watches and quality watches). The price for quality watches was very interesting.
PD Sorry for mine english, in spanish write better :D

vtx

Horology Curious
12/10/06
Hi Taiji
Glad you made it to HK and SZ and that you had a good time. If any info that I gave you proved to be useful then I am very happy.
Replica shopping in HK is a waste of time, unless you want the tourist rubbish and are happy to be ripped off. You normally don’t have problems when you go with traders to off site locations. They usually have an Alladin’s cave of “goodiesâ€

horologie_unitas

Put Some Respect On My Name
3/12/06
thanks for the cool story....and no cannon pin problem....i cant believe it !!
why do the dealers in here never ablolish this dilemma ?
good luck !!

red

Known Member
1/1/07
Nice summary. How would you compare the prices between what we order over the web? It seems that the dealers we have here offer some really competive prices. I guess the real jewel is that each piece is held and examined before it is purcahsed. Thanks again for the throrough report.

higgy

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
17/3/06
Very fun read..... :wink: I know I will never get the chance to go there

Higgy 8)

razorfish

Known Member
1/4/06
Nice pictures! I have been there a few times. I'm surprised you were able to take pictures of the watches.

taiji

30/11/06
Nice summary. How would you compare the prices between what we order over the web? It seems that the dealers we have here offer some really competive prices. I guess the real jewel is that each piece is held and examined before it is purcahsed. Thanks again for the throrough report.

Hi, if you have no plan to travel to SZ or GZ and considering the total cost from air ticket, lodging and food. It maybe wise to buy from our dealers here when you have full communication and most importantly at your own comfort.

subseeker

Renowned Member
Advisor
27/9/06
I am planning GZ trip this summer.

Man, after all those reports, I can't wait.....

guru

Advisor
Advisor
30/9/06
sure......but I only can speak for Bangkok:

you take a guide, cost you BHT 500 / day ( 13 USD ? ) and you tell him what you want to see. He will bring you to places you will never find in your live. You can do all of this in advance.

You will find the good stuff for around 200 USD, depending how much you buy, you could calculate 20% discount.
The vintage stuff will be ordered from the stores, so that will take 2 days.

I will be back beginning of April, just for a week shopping and relaxing

cybee said:
...if I had to wade through all of that I think I would be throughly confused. Is there not an easier way, setting up contacts, making prior arrangements and such? It would be fascinating to see though, thanks for sharing the story and photos... :)

seraphe

Renowned Member
9/10/06
Some mental notes for rep shopping in China (GZ)

1. Plan the watches you want to get. If you know the watch you want is already repped (as you should be able to gather from reading this forum), there should be many who have it. It's just a matter of how much you can bargain.

2. Try to get the attention of one dealer who has the good stuffs and stick with him. Ask for the specific watch you want and ask for the best version. If you know that's not the best, tell them you know it's not the best. That way they'd know you're not someone to kid around with. Make it known you know what the lowest market price is (even if you don't) and you do not want to waste time.

3. Another reason to stick to a single dealer is for economy of scale. The more you buy from one, the more discount.

4. Ask for a name card. Pick a few models worth considering and tell them that you want consider getting more from them and come back when you've decided. Make them think you're marketable.

5. Ask for special wholesale price. Make them believe you're interested to buy in bulk. That way you can ask for 'sample price' so you can take time to review the watches.