• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Replacing HE escape valve

dan_j

5/11/10
Hi guys,

I have a question that I couldn't find the answer for on any of the rep fora. I'm thinking of replacing the helium valve escape on my 5GPO with the one from my 45.5 UPO. According to R2D4's reference guide, the 42mm and the 45mm PO's use the same HE valves and HE tubes (they also use the same crown and crown tubes in case you haven't noticed). I assume that the parts are thus exchangeable.

However, I have not found any tutorial on how to disassemble the HE valve. I tried simply unscrewing it all the way but it gets stuck and I do not want to damage it by forcing it. Is there a way to disassemble it? and Also, does anyone know if the HE valve can simply be switched or if the HE tube also has to be switched together?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Daniel

KenD

Known Member
30/4/10
United States
It may vary I'd suppose, but on mine the He valve was a pressed in part as opposed to screwed in like the Gen.

The knob part unscrewed to open/close it, but the tube itself was just pressed into a hole in the case - no threads.

dan_j

5/11/10
Hey Ken,

So you were able to just pull the tube out? Were you able to do it without damaging the tube/valve?

Daniel

sub4me

Legendary Member
30/4/06
Why do you want to switch on rep valve for another rep valve??

dan_j

5/11/10
The HE valve on the 45 UPO is much thinner (more accurate to gen) compared to the one on 42 5GPO which is thicker (inaccurate).

Daniel

Rovin

Renowned Member
27/6/10
I would think that you will only need to change over the internal parts of the He valve, which will allow you to avoid having to punch out the case fitting. The only way to tell if they are internally identical is to strip them down and compare the internal parts. If they are different, then you will need to punch out the He valve tubes. Here's how:

* Remove case back.

* Remove anti magnetic cover.

* Remove crown. Use a flat bladed screwdriver to press down the button adjacent to the winder shaft entry point in the movement. Don't press too hard. Gently rotate the crown as you gently pull on it to remove it.

* Remove movement holder ring (only need to undo two of the three screws).

* Remove the movement/dial assembly.

* Unscrew the He valve, as normal for gas release.

* With a correct sized screwdriver, hold the He valve screw which is located on the inside of the case while turning the He valve as normal. Be careful not to lose any components as it comes apart.

* Compare and measure. If the internals are the same, then reverse procedure for install, being careful to keep it all clean.

If the internals are different, then you will need to punch out the He valve tube from the cases of each watch and then punch one back into the 'keeper'.

mydnytrydr

Mythical Poster
25/9/09
Why do you want to switch on rep valve for another rep valve??

How many watches are damaged or even ruined by doing something like this? OP, it's your watch, do what you want, but is the risk worth the reward?

sub4me

Legendary Member
30/4/06
How many watches are damaged or even ruined by doing something like this? OP, it's your watch, do what you want, but is the risk worth the reward?

Thats why asked the above question. Doesn't seem worth it to me to replace a rep valve with a rep valve, its still a rep watch, even if slightly better.

KenD

Known Member
30/4/10
United States
I punched the tube out, and it was no longer usable afterwards.

I replaced it with a gen He valve and tube (OME-086ST0115)

Best part about the swap is that it's all sealed up now so I don't have to worry about it leaking when diving/swimming.

If you're going to mod a 45.5 UPO, one of the cheapest and best mods is to swap out the endlinks on the SS bracelet.

The rep endlinks have the 952 (number) upside down (very minor detail) and they are just a tad too short (this sucks) so there's a big ugly gap between the endlink and the rest of the bracelet.

The gen endlinks are a direct fit - no problem and it looks tons better. It removes the gap completely.

All of these parts fit the 45.5mm UPO, and can be readily bought from Ofrei or Cousins:

OME-086ST0115 - Genuine Omega Planet Ocean Helium Release Valve Stainless Steel

OME-2500-DIAL#2 - Omega Dial For Model 2209.50.00 Caliber 2500 (this is the one with the orange numbers)

OME-082SU1773 - Omega Bezel, Orange for Planet Ocean

HAN-4151 - Genuine Omega Cal 2500 Second Hand Silver Arrow Luminous With Red Tip

HAN-4150 - Genuine Omega Cal 2500 Hour & Minute Hands Silver Arrow With Luminous

OME- 069ST42184 - Omega Stainless Steel Crown

OME-090ST1232 - Omega Case Tube

OME-SB3065 - Omega Sapphire Crystal 062SB30650

OME-088NS5139 - Genuine Omega Case Back Gasket, Planet Ocean

OME-298ZW2980 - Genuine Omega Crystal Gasket, Planet Ocean

OME-026ST952 - Springbar and endlink (single) for the 1580 bracelet (replace the rep springbar with the gen one its much thicker).

Rovin

Renowned Member
27/6/10
Punch him out gently with a punch just under the hole size and it will be re-usable. Bear in mind it will need to be slightly bent to not foul the case or mark the bore of the He valve hole.

Make no mistake, this is a major mod if it's not just a guts changeover.

dan_j

5/11/10
Well many people have already put on gen HE valves. I find that not only is it more accurate, but the thick HE valve takes away too much from the dial and throws off the overall look of the watch. And since the 45 UPO (which I no longer wear) has HE valve that is pretty much identical to the gen I figured its worth trying.

Thanks Ken and btrader...I'm reconsidering the mod as I thought it would be a simple mod hmmmm..

correctime

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
28/5/11
Something to keep in mind when attempting this on the 5th gen. 42mm PO...the gen HEV tube sticks out too far on the case without drilling a "chamfere" to countersink it into the case a bit. ( I've only recently learned of this from someone sort of "walking me through" doing my own build.) I'm still gathering parts and haven't tackled anything just yet.

Rovin

Renowned Member
27/6/10
Something to keep in mind when attempting this on the 5th gen. 42mm PO...the gen HEV tube sticks out to far on the case without drilling a "chamfere" to countersink it into the case a bit. ( I've only recently learned of this from someone sort of "walking me through" doing my own build.) I'm still gathering parts and haven't tackled anything just yet.

That's true, The He valve will need a little bit of routing out. Looks to be 0.1 to 0.2 of a mm in added depth.

Before you start that, it's worth noting that the diameter of the shoulder on the valve body/watch case hole also differs. Gen shoulder is 3.25mm dia, rep shoulder is 3.6mm. So for further clearance for the gen He valve swap, use a smaller router, or maybe even a modified drill.

On that note, anyone know a good source of small routers?