• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Replacing DG4813

AlanW3010

Renowned Member
4/8/11
UK
Where to begin?

Well, I got a V5 Planet Ocean with a none-working movement.

When I removed the caseback I found that there were no screws holding the movement in place and only 1 of those little tags that the screws go through. Which I guess is the first question. What part do I order from Cousins for that? I don't seem to be able to locate them on their site.

The movement looks, I think, like a DG4813. It winds fine, it adjusts fine and date flips over at 00:01 fine. Adjusting the date is not smooth. Feels kind of rough.

Now, let's suppose that I don't want to source new hands then presumably I'm stuck with putting another DG4813 into it? They're cheap as chips at Cousins but will it be any better than the one I have? I mean will it need an immediate service? Will it last any longer than the ones that go toes up that I'm reading about on this and other forums and seem to have the life expectancy of the average Mayfly?

Will the dial come loose after I remove the hands? With care, can I successfully remove the hands and replace them on the new movement? What about the datewheel? Do I need a different tool for fitting hands as opposed to removing them?