• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Replacing "automatic" movement with battery

murphy10

Horology Curious
12/9/09
I recently bought an Omega Seamaster "automatic" watch. It looks great, but I actually don't like the fact that I need to wear it otherwise it stops ticking! I wouldn't wear it often it is frustrating to have to set the time each time I want to wear it!

So how difficult would it be to rip out the automatic movement and put in a battery-operated movement? I mean I have a $20 watch that runs off a battery and keeps great time (~1 sec/day) so it doesn't need to be expensive.

Does anyone know where to find cheap parts that will fit?

The watch that I have is: http://www.watcheden.com/omega-seamaster-automatic-with-black-dial-and-bezel-i-17651-p-1.html

Renowned Member
30/3/09
Mate I can't help you with parts etc for the swap out. The only thing I could say is why don't you just a buy a quartz movement of the watch. It would be far easier unless of course you want to go through the whole process of "tweeking".
If you take on this project post photos and a description of what you have done- it will be very interesting.
cheers'

bub

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/9/09
Or even easier why dont you buy a watch winder, single versions go for abot £25. I have a 2 watch version and it keeps my automatics wound if I dont wear them, one of my watchwa is a seamaster 21J

drury

29/9/09
but you must always remember, there is something different about quartz watches (battery operated), you'll soon miss the ticking on your wrist, it gives the watch a lively feel to it. especially the sweeping seconds hand.

they don't (am i correct?) make many quartz movements any more with sweeping hands, so you'd be stuck with an ugly "one tick a second" watch.

although I must admit, I have a quartz too and it's a luxury not having to worry about the time being wrong ;)

best thing for you would be to buy another quartz one and then wear them whenever you feel like it.

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Totally impractical to try to change the movements. It would be better to sell the automatic and buy a new quartz watch.

bub

12/9/09
Very easy to double post when the forum is running slowly. At the moment this forum won't allow you to delete posts.
As for quartz, pain if you ask me, one of my Gen omegas is quartz and when the battery goes it's off to the jewellers for a new gasket and battery. That costs me a large amount every 2 years. I won't buy another quartz watch for myself, much prefer the automatic movement. Takes 2 secs to put the watch in the watch winder which is next to my bed and I don't even do that every night

jmd33

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/09
I understand what you mean - I have both quartz and autos, and love them both for different reasons. I love the "set it and forget it" of the quartz, but the autos have a soul. So, what you really should do is BUY BOTH!!! -lol

murphy10

Horology Curious
12/9/09
Well it really sucks in a way but I can still use the watch I guess. Perhaps I should have gone for the chrono which is battery operated.