• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Replacing a quartz movement with automatic... Possible? Any experience ?

snapdragon

Getting To Know The Place
17/12/13
Movement gurus:
As a side project, I have a couple of quartz pieces (notably a gen quartz SMP) that I'd like to convert to autos. I was thinking of using a nice reliable movement like the 9015 or even a Unitas, since they're quite inexpensive.

My question is...has anyone tried this before? Is this even possible or are there structural reasons why a quartz movement can't be replaced with an auto (e.g. Incompatible case dimensions etc) Any advice or pitfalls to avoid?

Thanks !

freeboy

Renowned Member
10/2/15
works in theory.. you may have issues with the hands.... a watch is essentially a box with a motor... if the movement.. motot, firs in the box all you need is the hands to fit...

DVNE

Respected Member
7/11/12
Movement gurus:
As a side project, I have a couple of quartz pieces (notably a gen quartz SMP) that I'd like to convert to autos. I was thinking of using a nice reliable movement like the 9015 or even a Unitas, since they're quite inexpensive.

My question is...has anyone tried this before? Is this even possible or are there structural reasons why a quartz movement can't be replaced with an auto (e.g. Incompatible case dimensions etc) Any advice or pitfalls to avoid?

Thanks !

IMO, sell your gen SMP as is. It is worth more in the long run... I'd mod a rep wayy before I'd mod a gen that way.

COLDI

Mythical Poster
Advisor
Certified
23/9/08
Exactly. You will need new hands. Movement ring. Possibly a new crown tube, a new crown. that's IF the movement fits. Inside dimensions may be different too than autos.