• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Replace a crystal on the current moonwatch?

sishac

Known Member
5/2/07
Hi everyone, I've been lusting after a moonwatch for a while now...the one with the healite crystal...I've resigned myself that it might be a while before I find one, so I'm looking at my options.....Ruby seems to have a nice manual wind watch. I know that it is slightly smaller than the "good" watch, and it has a flat "saphire" crystal instead of the domed healite, but it has the display back and it also has that beautiful seagul st-19 movement in it.

My question is this...is it possible to replace the flat crystal with a domed plastic crystal. Before you answer, I know that the gen will not fit. (the available rep is 39mm, but the other one is 42mm I believe)..but what about another, maybe generic, domed plastic crystal? I've got a request into Ruby to find out the size of the crystal, but is that all that I need?

Thanks!!!

hendrixelixir

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/8/07
In a similar vein, does anyone know if the solid case back can be converted into a display back?

crick

Put Some Respect On My Name
1/8/06
@sishac, my watchsmith says that he can replace any crystal with any shape you want.

When I inherited my grandfather's longines, it had a flat mineral glass on it. I had him changed it to a VERY slightly domed shaped glass for 30 dollars. I dont know what he had to do, maybe order by size or whatnot or cut down, etc. But it turned out fine.

He couldnt do saphire, is all i know. so you might have to settle with just mineral glass, but it can be done.

@hendri: i have no clue. sorry :( unless tthe caseback is the exact same size as screwback as a gen, thten sure, u can buy aftermarket ones with clearcaseback.